Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby martin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:24 pm

Image[/img]
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:25 pm

(ooh, sorry for bigness)

Also, the building shows a final act of defiance, by knocking the scoop off one of the diggers: http://galah.src.gla.ac.uk/~martin/dohdigger.mp4
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:46 pm

So... They are chewing the stone up as they go ?

They are not sectionally removing the pillars and preserving them ??

Something stinks here ladies and gentlemen. And not just trash's now un-covered sewer inlet.

:?

Chris..
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:37 pm

Glasgow pioneered façade retention, why has it not been applied here?
The frontage of Sylvester's the pub stood for at least 15years before they started work on it last year.

It’s funny how GDC gets the demolition squads in on, bank holidays/public holidays and weekends……….

where next?

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby dazza » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:44 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:where next?

Fossil

Well, there's still a few Greek Thompson's left. Might as well get rid of those "imposing eyesores". :evil:
dazza
-
-

Postby Fossil » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:10 pm

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby james73 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:47 pm

Bastards. That's all I can say. :evil:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:31 pm

turbozutek wrote:So... They are chewing the stone up as they go ?

They are not sectionally removing the pillars and preserving them ??

Something stinks here ladies and gentlemen. And not just trash's now un-covered sewer inlet.

:?

Chris..

Probably get re-used as highway bedding... It's happens. Y'know, just as a final insult.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:33 pm

From the ET article:

"...after a gable wall collapsed as contractors battled to save..."

Battled to save?! Battled to save?! If that was battling to save, I'd hate to see them take a dislike to a building.
Did they consider, oh, I don't know, maybe propping up the facade with something instead of trying to knock it down?!

I'm fecking furious now.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:37 pm

Pics taken about 4pm today

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:18 am

Devastating.
If some repulsive architecture is erected on that site I'll personally burn it down (with the occupants inside).

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:05 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:It’s funny how GDC gets the demolition squads in on, bank holidays/public holidays and weekends……….

I was told today that the council and Historic Scotland were keen for it to stay standing, but Building Control were the ones who wanted it down.

Also, the owners still have a mortgage, for a site with a lot of debris on it. They're losing money here from loss of earnings, not raking in insurance payouts. And they apparently want to re-open a club on the site, and not sell it off for housing. I remain skeptical on that point.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:47 am

nodrog wrote:Did they consider, oh, I don't know, maybe propping up the facade with something instead of trying to knock it down?!

Exactly! Where is the logic in removing a wall in order to secure the stability of the rest of the structure without supporting the walls first? Am I retarded in thinking that the removal of a gable wall increases the chances of a building becoming unsafe? And why tear it down in such a manner; sheer vandalism! Also, what the feck is the point in Historic Scotland if they have no power to prevent or even delay such demolitions... what a bunch of useless arse-holes.

So any guesses as to what the final tally for listed building demolition is this year in Glasgow?

...in saying that, theres still 2 days to go: who knows what the burninator has in store for Glasgow :?:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby dazza » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:25 am

Jesus! Something has to be done. If historic Scotland can't even be relied upon, then we should have taken evasive action and chained ourselfs to the pillars or something, ie. "Knock this down over my dead body!".
I can see it's going to be he only way to prevent this wanton destruction in the future, as our beloved 'City Fathers' obviously don't give a f**k. Maybe it's time they listened to what the inhabitants of this (once) fair city had to say for a change.
And yes, it reeks that this was carried out on a public holiday when all complaints would fall on deaf ears/dead phone lines.
dazza
-
-

Postby dazza » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:35 am

Timchilli wrote:Devastating.
If some repulsive architecture is erected on that site I'll personally burn it down (with the occupants inside).

Tim.

I'll happily strike the first match.

Let's eradicate the City Chambers while we're at it, eh? See how smug they are without their ivory tower to deflect them from complaints and oppositions from 'joe public'. I'm sure they would just love being housed in one of these generic glass boxes they're so fond of granting planning permission for.*
dazza
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects