Elgin Place Congregational Church Destruction

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby turbozutek » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:27 pm

nodrog wrote:Some sensible comments and questions being asked (though not terribly forceably) in this ET article from today:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5034029.html

it was "very regrettable" that in Glasgow demolition rather than shoring up and preservation was often the first option.

Hah.

GOODNESS!!! What a coincedence that the E.T should print that today!!!

:wink:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dbfriends » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:01 pm

turbozutek wrote:OK, me first then.

Chris...

This wouldn't be related to something I just saw about a man being arrested after standing on top of a pile of rubble at the site for 3hrs today, thus delaying the demolition, by any chance, would it...? :)
dbfriends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby shuttle534 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:20 pm

Well. The council will see it as a God send really. Now they have a spare plot of land to sell off at a premium price for luxury, time-share, multi-functional, city centre living units.
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:24 pm

yeah, funny that! wankers (excuse my language folks)!! that was 3 listed building demolitions on Bath St alone last year, imagine the furore if it were edinburghs New town and not Blythswood Hill!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Closet Classicist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:33 am

Well I'm with you on this. Absolutely disgraceful especially the manner in which it was demolished with the columns being treated as little more than skittles for the contractor to play with. No excuse whatsoever for demolishing a portico, of this quality, that was still structurally sound. Really puzzled by this as it was so iconic I would have thought it in the owners interests to have saved it if they still intend to have nightclubs here as it could have with ease formed the entrance to a superclub. Obviously ignorant of cutting edge nightclub design such as Alfredo Arribas's 1990's work in Barcleona and Japan. He would have made a virtue of this. Was so disgusted that I sent a very long letter / rant to the Herald part of which was published on Monday as the main letter. Sitting on another machine's hard disk at the mo but I'll post it here for comments tomorrow. I doubt very much that I will get a response from the council as they normally can't be arsed but I questioned why they should be deserving of World Heritage Status for the works of Mackintosh if they cannot demonstrate that they care for other buildings of international calibre in the city. Hopefully that wil ruffle a few feathers. I also asked if they could assure us that its 'A' listed status will set a benchmark for what ever replaces this building.

Cheers

CC
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:41 am

Here is the letter I sent in on the Herald's letter's page:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/30752.html

I know there are more important things happening in the world at the mo but if anyone else would care to make a contribution it would be welcome.

Cheers

Niall

(aka Closet Classicist)
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:15 pm

Nicely put Niall, well done for getting into print what many of us feel about this back door demolition. The points about retention are so right. When i saw the front page of the Evening Times on the day the demolition started, i quickly got down there expecting to see some degree of retention of the pillars at least. When i turned the corner i couldn't believe the Dem-Master smashing into them with no holding back.

The only thing i can see that was removed before the demolition was the metal sculpture which used to sit above the entrance to 'Trash'. It was sitting on the pavement. Why retain this and destroy the A Listed facade?

:evil:
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:38 pm

The only thing i can see that was removed before the demolition was the metal sculpture which used to sit above the entrance to 'Trash'. It was sitting on the pavement. Why retain this and destroy the A Listed facade?

Well exactly! It was this combined with the Dem-master smashing away that totally pissed me off and forced my hand. Yeah the trash sign / sculpture. An object of real cultural significance. Way to go contractors! Should people involved in this type of demolition not at least be screened to check that they have the expertise to deal sensitively with these buildings rather than just adopt a gung ho lets get it over with as fast as possible manner? Obviously arrived through some kind of comprehensive redevelopment time warp from the 60's.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:42 pm

shuttle534 wrote:Well. The council will see it as a God send really. Now they have a spare plot of land to sell off at a premium price for luxury, time-share, multi-functional, city centre living units.

..although, of course, it's not the council who own the land.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:01 pm

Anyone know the location of the landfill site these once exquisite peices of stonework now lie discarded and broken?
I'd like to grab some images for posterity of this diabolical outrage in their final resting place.

Or as I suspect they have been hurriedly buried in a shallow grave and covered over to save the Heid Yin's any embarrassment not that they have any shame whatsoever :evil:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:04 pm

Martin on your point about the Council not owning the land; the issue about the Council in this matter is their supposed democratic mandate to maintain some sort of stewardship over the common good and interest of the civic community. In this case they have seen their role (as in the now-series of similar decisions) as to do nothing other than smooth the statutorial way for the owner/developers to clear the lot and get on with some crappy 'modern' commercial development. I'll bet that in Edinburgh if you own a grade A or B listed building you have the Council breathing down your neck at the slightest faulting.
I have to add that where the Council in Glagow are the owners of building heritage this is sometimes little better; for example the deplorable episode that was the Dunlop Mansion in Tollcross park (that we have covered in other posts). After some 30 years Council 'stewardship' it ended up a virtual wreck. This was not primarly due to a lack of funds for major repairs or rehab - it was due to long and pervasive neglect by the Council as owners.
In the end it was saved by powers external to the city including an 'elder statesman' of the National Trust for Scotland who had personal connections with the mansion. He worked long and hard to persuade the Trust to chip in significant funding to help rescue the building - albeit for a less than satisfactory purpose
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:16 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:
James Mc wrote:The only thing i can see that was removed before the demolition was the metal sculpture which used to sit above the entrance to 'Trash'. It was sitting on the pavement. Why retain this and destroy the A Listed facade?

Well exactly! It was this combined with the Dem-master smashing away that totally pissed me off and forced my hand. Yeah the trash sign / sculpture. An object of real cultural significance. Way to go contractors! Should people involved in this type of demolition not at least be screened to check that they have the expertise to deal sensitively with these buildings rather than just adopt a gung ho lets get it over with as fast as possible manner? Obviously arrived through some kind of comprehensive redevelopment time warp from the 60's.

It would be laughable if it werent true! Another well considered deliverance from CC, under the guise of Nial Murphy this time, well done mate, I hope it encouraged a well-read member of staff in the City Chambers canteen to spit in the beans! I feel inspired! :twisted:

The council may not be directly responsible for the recent loss of these buildings but thier ignorance, I believe, has been a key factor in thier destruction. Thats what happens when you have safe seats for 30 years: you get complacent as you know no-one will challenge you!

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:46 pm

Fire in the Disco Fire in the Taco Bell

Re-named your original thread Dr.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:17 am

BTW folks here are a couple of links to discussions on the same subject in the Glasgow metro forums in Skyscrapercity.com:

History, hypocrisy,hyperbole and heritage:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=165996

Bath Street Blaze
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=154440

First one is by Alan Dunlop one of Glasgow's leading architects and a vocal critic of conservation and heritage issues. We had a good debate here yesterday.

Second was started by myself under a different pseudonym to prompt debate on the future of the church when it went on fire.

Please feel free to join in.

Cheers

CC
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby caine » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:00 am

i wonder if they will fill in and destroy the tunnel like basement area of the church where Trash used to be. part of it extends under the road, so it may involve digging the road up as well.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects