Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JamesMc » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:19 am

james73 wrote:
The Modern Fossil wrote:..Now the record shop that was on Dobbies loan beside haddows and the survival shop, that’s not gone has it?

Fossil

Where abouts? There's practically no shops of any description in
Dobbies Loan now.

James H

You must mean Avalanche on Dundas st, next to Queen St Station? That's right next to an Army survival type shop. Well, it's still there, going strong thankfully. They also have a branch in Edinburgh.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:51 am

Typical! A topic I can post on with authority and by the time I find it all my recollections have already been submitted. One minor amendment - wasn't A1 records actually called A1 Sounds when it was in the Savoy centre? I bought some right tat in there in my time.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:55 am

There was another shop across from the Scotia Bar called Ossian(?) that sold folk records in the early 90s.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bonz » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:39 am

dazzababes wrote:Well, since we're combining records and comics - remember when Virgin on Union Street had a comic shop in the basement? It must have been around the late 80's when The Dark Knight and The Watchmen were being hailed as masterpieces.

Yeah I remember it well! I went through a weird Frank Castle Punisher phase when I was about 16 and that was always a favourite haven of mine, trouble was, I had to run up the stairs to the top of the building to hang around in the Quarterback sketeshop and drool at the Tommy Gurerro deck autographed by the man himself!

They were the days!!!
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:48 am

The basement at Virgin was comics and roleplaying stuff, wasn't it?

I remember buying some dice from there.

And Watchmen is still brilliant.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:29 pm

cumbo wrote:
cumbo wrote:
Anyone remember Glorias record bar on Battlefield Road close to Langside Bus garage?I think it might have been Tom Russel (late night rock show fame)who owned it? I also think it moved to Mount Florida early 70's.

PGCC wrote:
Was that near to the Disc Boutique? which also sold games for Atari etc.

I think it was a bit before Atari,It was more Alice Cooper and David Bowie
The shop is now a dental repair shop and an electrical repair workshop
The other record exchange shop opposite Queens Park was the same owners as Hayes record exchange in Jamaca Street.

I'm pretty sure Tom Russell owned a record shop in the southside. He had one at Cross Court, Bishopbriggs (near the train station) from the late 70s until the late 90s. It always had a "Rock Wall" - all those picture sleeve 7' rock/metal bands that he favoured in their full glory. It's a flower shop now. :cry:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Lost record shops

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:25 pm

The ones i remember that flourished briefly are:

Klondyke Records in Battlefield Rd(Circa 1980-82).
Tam Russell's shop in Mount Florida(Always had a big guy with a tache serving and some good cheap 12" singles).
2nd hand classical record shop run by a couple of old guys on the road that links Great Western Rd to Maryhill Rd. :)
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:37 pm

I know the topic is past record shops, but what is there left now apart from the obvious big ones? I'm really not old enough to remember anything mentioned here apart from record exhange. I know of missing, lost in music and lost chord, are there many others still around?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:53 pm

allyharp wrote:I know the topic is past record shops, but what is there left now apart from the obvious big ones? I'm really not old enough to remember anything mentioned here apart from record exhange. I know of missing, lost in music and lost chord, are there many others still around?

Well, to name just a few: 23rd Precinct, Carbon@Urban Outfitters, Defunkt, Record Fayre/Fair, Oxfam Records, Rub a Dub, Mixed up Records, and the best of the lot - Mono.
dazza
-
-

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:30 am

Mono.....A fine record shop
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:57 am

johnnyanglia wrote:Mono.....A fine record shop

you mean monorail - mono's the pub it's in.

Pedantic stinkpad.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Monorail is AFAIK run by the folks who ran the record department of John Smith's in Byres Road.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:15 pm

It's owned and run by Stephen Pastel who used to work in the record dept. in John Smiths as well as being a top rock'n'roll star.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:44 am

I knew it was called Monorail. I just did not want to come across as a pedant when i responded to the earlier poster who called it Mono.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:51 am

stinkpad wrote:you mean monorail - mono's the pub it's in.

Pedantic stinkpad.

johnnyanglia wrote:I knew it was called Monorail. I just did not want to come across as a pedant when i responded to the earlier poster who called it Mono.

Wooooohooooo! Well actually, i know it's Monorail, but i just thought it would be easier for anyone who hadn't been there to find if i simply said Mono, as that is the main sign outside. So f**k ye's! Image
dazza
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects