Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby dimairt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:40 am

JayKay wrote:
I never knew there was a Glasgow 'underground' magazine. I'd love to track down a copy.

Jaykay,
The Glasgow Room, 2nd. floor , Mitchell Library has a complete bound set. Just ask at the desk.

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weasler » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:15 pm

I remember buying Tears for fears single (Mad World) in Boots 1983, and then tried to swap it two days later for a 12" version, and they wouldnt swap it.

My first purchase of any record was in City wireless Govan road, anyone remember this shop?
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby slow fade » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:57 am

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:It's owned and run by Stephen Pastel who used to work in the record dept. in John Smiths as well as being a top rock'n'roll star.

yep.Mono or Monorail if u prefer still the best record shop in Glasgow.
heres a photo of Stephen doin a set on Friday night. Wonderful.

http://flickr.com/photos/cadd/256285544 ... 4305355247
slow fade
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:39 am

weasler wrote:I remember buying Tears for fears single (Mad World) in Boots 1983, and then tried to swap it two days later for a 12" version, and they wouldnt swap it.

My first purchase of any record was in City wireless Govan road, anyone remember this shop?

I could vaguely recall some kind of store that sold records as an offshoot of its main business.

Shops usd to issue their own carboard sleeves to protect 78's and I'm sure City Wireless was one of them. I have no idea where my 78'sare but if I do find them I'l scan them.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:30 am

weasler wrote:I remember buying Tears for fears single (Mad World) in Boots 1983, and then tried to swap it two days later for a 12" version, and they wouldnt swap it.

Was that the one just before Shaw Street a couple of doors down from "Jaes For Claes"?
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:37 am

weasler wrote:
I remember buying Tears for fears single (Mad World) in Boots 1983, and then tried to swap it two days later for a 12" version, and they wouldnt swap it.

Gawwwd now you have brought back a memory weasler .

City wireless, they had a red illuminated sign on the facia very distinctive.

My father had a business in shaw st so i can remember it clearly from when i was young, can also remember nicols hardware stores on the corner of Shaw st and Govan Road. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:42 pm

We're gonna go right off topic here but Nichols had a hardware store and a wallpaper store separated by either another shop or a close.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby weasler » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Yes the city Wireless was very near the corner of shaw street, but i also remember a city wireless shop on Govan road accross from the red ash pitch at St Gerards. I dont know if the original shop had moved to this location or it was an additional shop.

Weasler.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Uggyy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:59 pm

Whiplash Records in the Virginia Galleries moved to the Argyle arcade and then droped the records and moved into gamming. Kenny and his brother still run it, though as said they have other shops too.. one at the Tron and not sure where else..

Missing is still going as said too, I think it was Martin who owned this and Im not sure if he still does. He started up in a market stall in the Barras, selling imports cheap.. I used to have a brikabrak stall next to him and got all my stuff cheap :-) They got a shop in Paisley too now, if its the same company.

Ahh the good old days... It was the bargin bins I loved in these shops, always skint and came home with somthing :-)
All the Best,

Tommy
Uggyy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Pianos, Gramophones and Records

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Anyone get their Charleston records from this shop?

Frank?

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:33 pm

Or bought a Dulcitone (a 5-octave keyboard instrument with graduated steel tuning forks struck by hammers, designed for export to humid climates) and was designed and patented by Machells.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:44 pm

:roll:
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Dexter you must be Auld as the Hills :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:33 pm

Mori wrote:Dexter you must be Auld as the Hills :D

older ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Mori wrote:Dexter you must be Auld as the Hills :D

Despite being only as old as, oh, perhaps a hummock, I used to have a fair number of shellac 78s in sleeves like that (although from a dealer Down South rather than Glasgow).

They were almost impossible to warp, barring leaving them on a sun bed for ten minutes. But, unfortunately, they were fragile. One clumsy flat move too many, and they were gone :cry: .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects