Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby gmcglasgow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:48 pm

It's nice that you have that memory. But times change. Modern music stores are rare indeed now. And there is nothing wrong with bands like AC/DC and The Rolling stones. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will pay the £60 and £80 for the boxsets of vinyl but if your gonna sell vinyl at least make the effort to stock modern stuff too and there is plenty of it out there.
gmcglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 pm

gmcglasgow wrote:It's nice that you have that memory. But times change. Modern music stores are rare indeed now. And there is nothing wrong with bands like AC/DC and The Rolling stones. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will pay the £60 and £80 for the boxsets of vinyl but if your gonna sell vinyl at least make the effort to stock modern stuff too and there is plenty of it out there.

I always took the view that if there were two records that I liked, one 'popular' and one not, than I'd buy the 'not', because I'd always be able to borrow the 'popular' one from somebody. Worked reasonably well in practice, although it has resulted in an unfeasibly obscure record collection.

The majority of the (new release) vinyl available in Glasgow is about as far from the AC/DC / Rolling stones end of the market as you'll get. Flaming Tongue, Mono, Avalanche - mass market?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:12 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gmcglasgow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:03 pm

$16 for the postage alone. Again the Ebayers are charging more than they need to and there is no way that one will stay at $5. I will keep an eye on it though just incase. I did buy one from Oxfam's online store recently. Might be useful if any of you are looking for anything. They don't charge for postage either, only a donation if you want to give one.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/Default.aspx
gmcglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 am

banjo wrote:i will be de cluttering soon and that means i will have hundreds of singles and albums on the move.if any members have any particular needs that i might have just let me know.wide range from fifties to eighties on vinyl.

Felonious picked up some classic 45s which should be appearing on the juke box on Velvet Elvis next month. Cockney Rebel, Climax Chicago, Allmans, and Santana included.

He left a pile of good looking Slade albums including Slade in flame and Play it Loud. and he spotted a couple of soundtrack albums "Electra guide in Blue" and One flew over the cuckoo's nest" Send banjo a Pm if you're interested.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:00 am

8cats wrote:I saw an advert for a new shop, Southside Records in Shawlands Arcade today and went dashing over for a look. Sadly it's not the same wee shop that was previously there and closed down, but is a second hand one with all stock 2 for £5. The guy did have some decent stuff in amongst it though, and was sitting beside a juke box and a 'now playing' sign, so it does look like someone's interested in establishing a southside music shop again......

Popped in there during the week and picked up two nice vinyl slices, Green On Red's No Free Lunch and the Violent Femmes' Hallowed Ground for a fiver. There were some other interesting discs.
Regarding Lost Chord the original shop opened in Ibrox/Cessnock around '74 , original proprieter was a guy called (I think) Gordon, used to spend all my free time in there talking to him. He always sold albums at a penny under the pound and never had any change so would "owe" you the penny change.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:36 am

Hi Paul thanks for the info. I didn't know Lost Chord originated in the south side. Gordon was the owner's name. I think he sold up to get more involved in the caring for his his son and campaigning for others who shared his son's disability.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:42 am

PaulK wrote: ................... He always sold albums at a penny under the pound and never had any change so would "owe" you the penny change.

Off topic but there's a snack bar in Arbroath does the same. Every price ends in 9p and they tell you up front that they don't give you the 1p change but that it goes to local charities.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am

And even more off topic, I love Arbroath FC's stadium (per se). And bridies. Anyway.

PaulK wrote:Regarding Lost Chord the original shop opened in Ibrox/Cessnock around '74 , original proprieter was a guy called (I think) Gordon, used to spend all my free time in there talking to him.

Where, specifically?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tinbasher » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

moonbeam wrote:Used to buy lots of LPs from the basement shop in Bath Street. Almost under McCormacks.

I made the sign for this shop in the 70's

It wasn't very subtle as I recall RECORDS in red lettering and an arrow pointing down into the shop.

I was serving my time in a place at the time and got to make a few quirky interesting things, William Rome Fabrications on the industrial estate at the top of Arden. I also made some wall mounted flagpole brackets for the cathedral I have no idea if they are still there.

Another job was all the CARLSBERG signs that were on railway bridges including Heilanmans Umbrella.

Tin
tinbasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gent2012 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 pm

I remember working on the door with my mate Derek at Listen in Renfield Street in 1978-1979. The shop had trouble with punks coming in and causing trouble in the downstairs shop so it was our job to stop them getting in. All that for a tenner a day for 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
gent2012
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 am

gent2012 wrote:I remember working on the door with my mate Derek at Listen in Renfield Street in 1978-1979. The shop had trouble with punks coming in and causing trouble in the downstairs shop .

Were they calling the staff Beardies or Hippies?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Twizzle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 am

I passed through a "sad case" (eccentric) phase in my adolescent years in Secondary school - I suppose it was my way of being original and non-conformist - and collected 78 rpm records - an older, very breakable form of disc, made from shellac, and phased out in favour of 45 rpm discs in the late 1950s. This was in 1967-8 when everyone else was enjoying a real boom in popular music driven by the pirate radio stations.

A friend told me to try Silverdales - a second-hand record shop in Argyle Street, almost as far along as the Kelvingrove Art Galleries - around Radnor Street.

He was able to get pretty cheap live albums by the Yardbirds, (not recorded on 78 rpm records) which seemed rare and exotic at the time and it seemed to be a good place to go browsing. I remember, one Saturday morning, when I was diligently searching through the high shelves, excited by the racks and racks of 78s, the shop owner threw me out of the shop, telling me that "I was too young!"

Anyone else remember that shop?
Twizzle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 am

Nobody has appeared to mention Silverdales previously. They did not like Browsers who made no effort to purchase within a set but unknown period of time. I think it closed in the late seventies and went over to Ski apparel and equipment.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:18 am

Josef wrote:And even more off topic, I love Arbroath FC's stadium (per se). And bridies. Anyway.

PaulK wrote:Regarding Lost Chord the original shop opened in Ibrox/Cessnock around '74 , original proprieter was a guy called (I think) Gordon, used to spend all my free time in there talking to him.

Where, specifically?

Harley Street, just round from Walmer Crescent and around two shops down from Ibrox Street.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects