Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:Hope the new Silverburn has a good music store when it opens its doors next autumn.

It'll probably have a Virgin Megastore or a HMV, but it's open to debate whether those are actually good music stores... :( :roll:

Have to agree with you Ally Doll. Im hoping more for a FOPP store.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm pretty sure the one in the Pollok Centre was called "Missing Label"
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:51 pm

Missing have moved the record shop round the corner to Argyll Street next to the Hip Hop Shop. I got Devo Be Stiff for a £1.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:25 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Before Crusty gets you cheesemonster you better edit Pollock - Pollok.

wtf!? i must've slipped into a parallel universe, i remember getting told off by someone years ago for writing Pollokshields as Pollockshields and getting told that only Pollok had a c in it and have stuck to that ever since
...actually rather than slipping into a parallel universe, the person who told me that was probably just plain wrang!
(it looks better with a c anyway, jackson pollock an' aw that) :P
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:49 am

My record-buying heyday was late '60s to mid '70s, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hades, which was in Bath Street, just along from 23rd Precinct, and across from East Bath Lane (my preferred short-cut to Bruces). At ground level, if memory serves, Hades sold singles and posters (and probably loon pants), but downstairs was where you got your King Crimson and Soft Machine, and it was heaven.
Another notable omission is the Music Centre, which was in Buchanan Street, roughly where Forbidden Planet is. It was more of a traditional record shop, but again you went downstairs for the serious album action; didn't sell loon pants though....
Now, Listen Records ("Cheap 'n' Nasty Records & Tapes"). The very original Listen was, I'm sure, in the long-since-demolished Dundas Place, before moving to Cambridge Street, opposite Cuthbertsons. I remember their advert in Glasgow's answer to Oz and IT, an underground magazine called The Word. It was a cartoon of a typical wee Glesga wifie (possibly drawn by a young Malky McCormack) with the caption "It's a' thae weird records". Very apt, but couldn't hold a candle to Hades though!
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:44 pm

You're right about Listen.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 am

I vaguely remember a record shop at that location in Buchanan Street - I never knew its name though.

In later years it was also the location of Rat Records. The same location is now a Greggs bakers.

I never knew there was a Glasgow 'underground' magazine. I'd love to track down a copy.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:05 am

That magazine I mentioned, The Word, was edited by Clifford Hanley (son of Cliff Hanley). It may have been a continuation of an earlier publication of that name which, apparently, was an anarchist magazine. I think that version is mentioned in The Glasgow Story website. My mate Harry Longbaugh (at least that's what he called himself when he wrote for Sounds) says he still has a couple of copies somewhere: for years now I've been asking him to dig them out; still waiting.....
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby markp » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:You're right about Listen.

Yeah, Hades...You went downstairs - carefully, coz they were that steep - and the place was bathed in red light. You couldny see the covers of the LPs because of it. The walls were thick wi artex, it looked like the place was melting. But then again, it was the seventies...
markp
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Chinaski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Here's an obscure one no-one else seems to have mentioned - 'Rebel Records' from the mid-late 80's. Initially just a second hand shop down an alley off Royal exchange square/Queen St, then moved to the very top East side of Renfled St, just round the corner from the Atholl Arms. By then sold new Indie stuff as well as all sorts of second hand. All Vinyl. Great wee shop.
Chinaski
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:42 am

Chinaski wrote:Here's an obscure one no-one else seems to have mentioned - 'Rebel Records' from the mid-late 80's. Initially just a second hand shop down an alley off Royal exchange square/Queen St, then moved to the very top East side of Renfled St, just round the corner from the Atholl Arms. By then sold new Indie stuff as well as all sorts of second hand. All Vinyl. Great wee shop.

From the very first post on the thread:

There are others whose name escapes me - a second hand shop opposite STV in Renfield Steet,

Bought a mint copy of the Grateful Dead's Europe '72 there, and a copy of TG's Heathen Earth (on Industrial!) in the wee shop off Queen Street. IIRC it mostly sold guitars, and this expanded into the guitar shop (initially Hope Street then) Argyle St and the record bit moved to renfield Street.

I seem to remember there was some Belle and Sebastien connection as well with the shop.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Missing have moved the record shop round the corner to Argyll Street next to the Hip Hop Shop. I got Devo Be Stiff for a £1.

I almost missed it when i walked past this afternoon, still says its a card shop above the door, the dulcet tones of AC/DC coming from inside gave it away though :D
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm

cheesemonster wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Missing have moved the record shop round the corner to Argyll Street next to the Hip Hop Shop. I got Devo Be Stiff for a £1.

I almost missed it when i walked past this afternoon, still says its a card shop above the door, the dulcet tones of AC/DC coming from inside gave it away though :D

Walked by there lookin for it from other sidae the street, couldny find it, that'll be why. As i walked down waterloo st though i had the good fortune to hear a cab driver gettin in to his taxi whistlin Elvis's Wooden Heart EXTEREMELY FLAMBOYANTLY.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:33 pm

today's the first time in months that i've went cd shopping and i ended up with 8 albums...and all for £33!
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:54 am

Someone mentioned the record dept. in the basement of Lewis's, but does anyone remember when Boots at the corner of Union/Argyle St. had a substantial record section? The security was way over-the-top, as it was surrounded by a barrier and you had to enter and leave through a turnstyle. This would be around mid-seventies.
Someone else spoke of being thrown out of Casa for having their personal stereo on. I got tossed out the aforementioned Lewis's for involuntarily laughing out loud when they put on a Russ Conway record; a bit unfair, don't you think?
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects