Underground carpark in Queen Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Underground carpark in Queen Street

Postby Fossil » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:32 am

First up fab site.
Me story. I was told this a couple of years back about a large underground car park in queen street.
He told me he was working in a friends clothing shop and used the shared toilet for the building. After using the loo he went through the wrong door. (they closed solid behind him) After a lot of bang and shouting he decided to try and get out another way.... to cut a long story short he pop up inside the basement on the other side of the street.
I think its an office block of some kind (the large doors that are next to Schol shoe shop.)
Its a strange one as there is no visible entry for a car park in queen street.
What was it or is it a car park?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gordieboy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:42 am

I think that there is or was an underground car park in the location you discuss. As far as I am aware the entrance to it is down the side lane between the two pubs ( blacks and strata) there is a controlled gate that I prsume is opened via emote control from cars, I have to say it is a really tight turn and I wonder how many expensive cars have been scraped whilst fitting in there.

Hope this helps.

Gordon
gordieboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby alanmac » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 pm

Interesting one, I posted a message in the 'ideas for new projects section' concerning tunnels under Queen Street that head in the other direction (towards the merchant city)
I experienced these first hand in the late eighties when working in a basement clothes shop called 'Void' in the late eighties, but was not able to follow them all the way (although was told they emerge around the old Goldbergs) They certainly pre-date any car park, maybe the car park was modelled using the existing tunnels?
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Royal Exchange Building

Postby ping » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:22 pm

I was going by the Royal Exhchange Building on the corner of Queen St and Ingram Street at lunch today and I noticed the entrance to the underground car park ( next to O'Briens) was open. Does anyone know if this is connected to the tunnels under Queen Street? Anyone been down there?
ping
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jazza » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am

Is it possible that the entrance and exit ar on other sides of this block, because i was parked blocking a small lane in town (but it wasn't Queens St) and this car appear from knowhere up a ramp and nearly into the side of me!

Bloody handy place to park you car in town.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:12 pm

what was the location you were in?
Mine was Queen street about the middle.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects