Underground Stables

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Underground Stables

Postby ping » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:47 pm

A couple of years back a friend of mine(who was studying architecture at the time) said that there are stables behind Princess Square. These stables are supposed to be underground. I notice behind Princess Square (go down the wee alley next to The Lab and then head into the back court) that there are some boards up and a building on Queen Street is getting done up. I've tried to peer over these boards to spy the so called stables but with no luck. Has anyone seen these stables or have any pics of them? My friend also said that there are lots of stables under Queen Street and Buchanan Street.
ping
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

stables

Postby Ronnie » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:27 pm

Hi Ping
My first thought is that horses wouldn't take too kindly to being stabled underground. I don't know the answer to this, but could I suggest:
- establish a timeframe
- look up the Post Office Directory for the time for the area, which will show stables, carters, hauliers, and on so
- check where these locations are today (street names and numbers do change over time)
- go and have a look!
Alternatively, just follow the smell of h*rsesh*t ... :D
Best wishes
Ronnie
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stables

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:40 am

Hi Ping,
IIRC before they built Princes's Square etc. Circa 1985 it was an open courtyard off of Buchanan Street. Within the courtyard was a pub / diner called the 'Court Yard' or the ' Stables' or .................something!
Does anyone know any better??
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:14 pm

the arches used to be used as horse stables. a member of my family who i care not to name was involved in the opening of the arches as an arts and exhibition venue in the 80's and by all accounts they had to clear out 30 year old straw and horse s**t from the first two levels along with loads of reins and things, so back in the days, the arches would have been a very dark place for horse's to live! so its possible there were other underground stables.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Underground Stables

Postby gordonjcp » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:10 pm

People did used to have subterranean stables. Even stables above ground were often kept very dark. I'm not sure why, apparently it was to stop horses from being spooked by things and charging about (so presumably they got spooked by things and stood still in the dark?). The only real effect was that the horses went blind fairly quickly (horse's eyes don't have particularly dynamic irises, and don't adapt to changes in light level well).

Building stables underground would, of course, use up basement space where space above ground was at a premium.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ping » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:23 pm

Jump on the lift up to that terence conran eatery and look down into the pit behind the boards. There seems to be wee doorways below ground. Could these be stables? Don't know but it looks kinda interesting in an underground type business kind of way.
ping
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Cardno » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:15 pm

ping wrote:Jump on the lift up to that terence conran eatery and look down into the pit behind the boards. There seems to be wee doorways below ground. Could these be stables? Don't know but it looks kinda interesting in an underground type business kind of way.

How quiet is the place and how well fastened on are the boards. U cud do a wee sneaky sneaky down there!
Cardno
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects