Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby dougie79 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:04 pm

dad told me today, that hes arraned for me and him to go into a few less sensitive areas of the tunnels with kind permission of bt. no law breaking, no one getting hurt so no one should be crying.

Of course Ill have my new camera with me. As soon as Ive got the pics you will be the first to see then, well second!

Got space for one more person if they are up for it, hollowhorn come on down!
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun May 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks for the invite Dougie, but it was Glasgow Dancer that originaly posted.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

bothwell tunnel

Postby Craigyboy7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Heard from good source the tunnels are 100ft underground, run from bothwell st to cathedral st at nth hanover st, with another branch to the GRI, along with branches all over the place and rooms aswell, also heard the walls are solid and access in the old GPO building in Bothwell st was in the sub sub basement thru a hatch then down a verticle ladder shaft!
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 pm

It's offiicial 8)
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

I canny believe it

Postby scoused will » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:20 pm

Just read all the threads for this more than 2 years in less than an hour and someones ripped the last page out - if you know what I mean - Can we start again???!!!! :roll:
"...I fail to see what sort of discussion or reaction you are trying to initiate..."
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: I canny believe it

Postby dazza » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:33 pm

scoused will wrote:...someones ripped the last page out - if you know what I mean

No, i don't know what you mean. Please explain.
dazza
-
-

Postby scoused will » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi Dazza

Just a reaction to

"To expose the secret and hidden side of Glasgow through photographs, maps and images.

Glasgow was once the mighty second city of the empire, but the collapse of heavy industry saw the city fade into urban decay and dereliction.

This is a trend that is being reversed by a concerted effort to regenerate the city, however this inevitably means the complete obliteration of what once made up the fabric of the city."

There are still remnants of the past visible, and this site asks you to stop and look more closely at what you see every day. Take a little more time to look and appreciate the architecture.

We will try to explain and explore closed, disused and unknown buildings and structures; and to find answers for those questions you had about buildings and places,

a bit of a knee jerk Blairite comment by me, too many English Summers i s'pose...
... but sometimes when other people lose the original thread and intention I notice too
Apologies if ioflfended in any way. Not the intention ::):
Last edited by scoused will on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...I fail to see what sort of discussion or reaction you are trying to initiate..."
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Scoused Will i do not understand what you are prattling on about. Perhaps you are on some medication and you forgot to take it?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoused will » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:37 pm

Socceroo wrote:Scoused Will i do not understand what you are prattling on about. Perhaps you are on some medication and you forgot to take it?

You ccould be right
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scoused will » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:43 pm

I got me handees slapped for searching Waterloo Street instead of Bothwell Street.

I noticed during reading the thread that a lot of it had gone of message.

Dazzababes queried my comment I replied with that nice quote.

BUT NEVER MIND ::):
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: I canny believe it

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:58 pm

scoused will wrote:someones ripped the last page out

I took you to mean that the thread had come to no definite conclusion, no bad thing, may it run & run. (if only to irritate Dex) :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:01 pm

explain clearly what it is you are meaning please, threads will end up clogged with endless "banter" that actually contributes nothing to the project.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Tunnels, GRI and Townhead

Postby edward carolan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi I worked in the Royal Infirmary in the late 60's, and can confirm that there was a tunnel which ran north to south the entire length of the hospital. However it was not very deep, and used to transport things around the hospital. eg dead bodies to the mortuary etc.
I also know that a church at the corner of Cathedral and Castle street had to be demolished as it was undermined by Post Office tunneling, unfortunately it was a rare example of a saddlebacked roof in Scotland. If you go to the virtual Mitchell library site it can be seen on the extreme left of one of the Castle Street images. It is on page 13 of the "Townhead" search it is labelled Castle Street(?). It was being used to prepare school meals and had not been used as a church in a long time. Hope this is of some use.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Tunnels, GRI and Townhead

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 pm

edward carolan wrote:Hi I worked in the Royal Infirmary in the late 60's, and can confirm that there was a tunnel which ran north to south the entire length of the hospital. However it was not very deep, and used to transport things around the hospital. eg dead bodies to the mortuary etc.
I also know that a church at the corner of Cathedral and Castle street had to be demolished as it was undermined by Post Office tunneling, unfortunately it was a rare example of a saddlebacked roof in Scotland. If you go to the virtual Mitchell library site it can be seen on the extreme left of one of the Castle Street images. It is on page 13 of the "Townhead" search it is labelled Castle Street(?). It was being used to prepare school meals and had not been used as a church in a long time. Hope this is of some use.

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow Edward Carolan :D

Hope you can provide more information on your time at the Royal. I am sure others would be very interested to hear about some of the features hidden from view.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bothwell Street Tunnels

Postby Auldeejit » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:21 pm

I was a Post Office Operator in the exchange in College Street, just across from High Street Station. I was led to believe that the route ran beneath Ingram Street, Gordon Street & under Waterloo Street to Joint Trunks (Telephone House). These exchanges had deep sub-basements and the heat down there was very noticeable the deeper you went.
I would imagine that these tunnels would be sealed to prevent flooding (the Low Level at Central Station is frequently under water), there were Post Office tunnels here as well.
The old City Centre exchange was shared by Hope Street P.O. This site is now occupied by Molly Malone's pub, ask the staff if they have a deep basement. There used to be talk of an underground river.
I would think that all the major Post Office buildings would have been linked, communications being #1 priority.
I suppose I could've explored all of this at the time, but I just never got round to it.
Besides, it all came under the O.S.A.
Still, Ive always wanted to see inside the Tower of London.
Auldeejit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects