Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Postby scaryman2u » Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Ronnie wrote:Is this not simply a vent from the Queen Street low level line, which passes under the Royal College building?

FFS Ronnie stop posting stuff that makes sense :? :P
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby br-cmr » Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Where exactly is this vent?
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rabmania » Mon May 04, 2009 10:08 pm

br-cmr wrote:Where exactly is this vent?

Has it vent somewhere? Vhere?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leadensky » Tue May 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Exactly, the railway passes under Royal College. The vent in question is located in the grassy area behind the John Arbuthnott and Stenhouse buildings (hope that helps)
leadensky
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby br-cmr » Tue May 05, 2009 3:27 pm

where abouts in that area?

It's possibly just the pump for the artificial stream that runs down there.

There's a slab in the middle that looks like it covers a drain.
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 05, 2009 8:13 pm

scaryman2u wrote:FFS Ronnie stop posting stuff that makes sense :? :P

Sorry :roll:
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leadensky » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Sorry for the delay in reply. I just revisited the area today. Now i'm even more convinced of a inter-hospital tunnel!

The vent is next to the path. NW corner of the sculpture gardens. It is not like the other vents in the city, this one is a manhole cover, with a wooden cage over it. Follow the path east towards the Wolfson building and on the right on the other side of the stream is an access hatch with a padlock on it. A few steps further to the little service road and on the right are the tell-tale manhole covers that can be observed in the vicinity of all the vents in the city.

And the reason i think it's a tunnel between the hospitals - go to rottenrow gardens yourselfs and see the sturdy metal access hatches on the grass. I just need the right time to take a closer look.. or someone ballsy on here to bust open one of those hatches!
leadensky
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 11, 2009 6:31 pm

leadensky wrote:Sorry for the delay in reply. I just revisited the area today. Now i'm even more convinced of a inter-hospital tunnel!

The vent is next to the path. NW corner of the sculpture gardens. It is not like the other vents in the city, this one is a manhole cover, with a wooden cage over it. Follow the path east towards the Wolfson building and on the right on the other side of the stream is an access hatch with a padlock on it. A few steps further to the little service road and on the right are the tell-tale manhole covers that can be observed in the vicinity of all the vents in the city.

And the reason i think it's a tunnel between the hospitals - go to rottenrow gardens yourselfs and see the sturdy metal access hatches on the grass. I just need the right time to take a closer look.. or someone ballsy on here to bust open one of those hatches!

Find it on a map, and I might be convinced.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

A little birdie (with some knowledge of Strathclyde University) tells me that it's not a tunnel from Rottenrow to the Royal. It's just old steam pipes, dating from the days when the university buildings along Cathedral Street were heated from a large boiler house in Rottenrow. They've been defunct for about 20 years.
I'm well aware that this is an unsourced comment. But if we get the maps out, we could arrive at the truth, instead of making speculations based on guesses :D
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat May 16, 2009 7:37 pm

there is a tunnel from where collins' used to be towards the royal, dunno if it's still there tho. Never heard about a tunnel from the royal to rottenrow or at least my witness didn't witness it
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun May 17, 2009 4:11 pm

My Kitten wrote:there is a tunnel from where collins' used to be towards the royal

Would that be part of the BT tunnel, or another one? The ground must be like swiss cheese around there :!:
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JohnM » Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 am

Any chance you could re-post your pictures toomse? They seem to have been deleted...
JohnM
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Luco » Mon May 18, 2009 10:50 am

Ronnie wrote: But if we get the maps out, we could arrive at the truth, instead of making speculations based on guesses :D

Speculation is what this thread thrives on, Ronnie! :D
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Luco wrote:
Ronnie wrote: But if we get the maps out, we could arrive at the truth, instead of making speculations based on guesses :D

Speculation is what this thread thrives on, Ronnie! :D

Point taken, Luco, but with a little application we could find the route and purpose of the tunnels, if they are where people are guessing they are. Each to his or her own, I suppose :)
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby toomse » Wed May 20, 2009 1:35 pm

JohnM wrote:Any chance you could re-post your pictures toomse? They seem to have been deleted...

As a precaution I’ve removed all diagrams that could be classed as sensitive information from my posts as unknown parties have been messing with my Photobucket account. Shame this has to spoil things for the whole site. While on the subject of security - to what extent are members allowed to post sensitive information? For example if I posted diagrams of what’s really below Kentigern House or security drawings for Faslane would the MOD close down this site? Is there a limit or does anything go?
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects