Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby edward carolan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:48 pm

I don't know how large the P O tunnelling under the church at Cathedral/Castle street was but the church was not a slight building. There is a better picture of it on Page 2 of "Glasgow in Colour pre-1980. The tunnel under the Royal was not very substantial or deep. When the Biochemistry Dept. caught fire the fire engines could not drive over it, and the hoses would not reach so they just had to watch it burn. It relocated to portacabins on land behind the Provan's Lordship.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Tunnel under Bothwell St???

Postby OLDFART » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:17 pm

i was talking to neighbour about usual crap & he started talking about tunnel under central station he worked in Dixons in late 60's Renfield st & Gordon St its a phone shop now. Theres an entrance in basement to the old arches under central station. It seems the old shops that were in arches have been kept, the old names etc. He doesn't know if theres another entrance but workers used to go down a few times a year.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:32 pm

DEXTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 am

He's got Bothwell Street mixed up with Grahamston. Two entirely different myths.

and of course in the wrang thread. With these searching abilities it would be a wonder if he could find his way out of George Square
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:51 am

ive been down the bothwell street tunnel and I can assure you its very real! As for shop under central I just dont know. Could be very possible I suppose. Its like a honeycomb down there.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:22 pm

dougie79 wrote:ive been down the bothwell street tunnel

Whit were you daeing doon there son?
Re-soldering a dry joint? :wink: :wink:
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:50 pm

OLDFART wrote:i was talking to neighbour about usual crap & he started talking about tunnel under central station he worked in Dixons in late 60's Renfield st & Gordon St its a phone shop now. Theres an entrance in basement to the old arches under central station. It seems the old shops that were in arches have been kept, the old names etc. He doesn't know if theres another entrance but workers used to go down a few times a year.

I can confirm after speaking to my uncle in Inverness that this entrance does exist. He was the Assistant Manager in Dixons for a large chunk of the 80s. His desk was one floor below street level and directly behind him was another door that lead down a further flight and ended in a large steel door. Beyond this door there WAS the remains of Grahamston shops etc.
Maybe we could speak to the people at The Link and go exploring?
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:13 pm

It's possible there may be foundations of Grahamston buildings but the whole area really was flattened when they built Glasgow Central. I've got a photograph of the building works but I don't have permission from the owner to post it.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby br-cmr » Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Out for a walk today - passed the Cathedral St/Castle St manhole and also the wee building at North Hanover St.

Next time you're passing one of the manholes, look up! Both of the 2 I passed had CCTV dome cameras mounted nearby, on traffic light pillars.The one nearest the royal is right beside the manhole, the one at N Hanover st is on the south side of cathedral st. They don't appear to be of the same design as most of the citywatch cameras.

Do the other manholes have similar cameras, or is it just coincidence?
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 am

Bump. Not enough tunnel stuff on here these days...
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Blueboy wrote:Bump. Not enough tunnel stuff on here these days...

There’re all filled in now
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Blueboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm going to dig my own. But I won't tell you all where it is.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 pm

I've been digging one under the vaulting horse in the gym.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby katimac » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:32 pm

GlasgowDancer wrote:Was waiting on the train going home from work and i have an hour to wait on sundays so I thought i'd kill time one way or another. 3 older men stood by platform 11 so i asked them did they know anything about the history of the station. One man said something about Grahamston and I said I head did alot of reading about it etc, and he believed it to be true. He then asked why I was asking and quickly made up a wee white lie i was doing some university work.

He then said he could go get one of the stations higher up people to help me with my research, so he walked me over to that small door just beside the royal bank at the stairs at pub, and radio'd up to someone. Next thing i'm stood infront of this rather plump looking bald man..who stared at me as if i was a crook! He said...how can i help you? I explained I was doing a univeristy project and I asked some simple questions first of all. EG. What date were the later lines built, etc. I then asked a little about Grahamston and he said their was nothing under central station accept from archways which the newer part was built on top of. I then asked about the track leading off between anderston and platform 14...he said..." theirs no platform "? I said yes there is, ive seen it before coming back from work sometimes theirs a light on..he said oh i dont know about that, might be for freight or something...and.........then their was huge long pause.. " even if their was anything down there, i couldnt tell you anyway ".

I just sort of laughed at him and then he said well why dont you and your university friends write into the railway and ask them for a tour of down there, I immediatley replied "I thought u said their was nothing downt there" ? He just sort of looked at me as if to say oh dear, and then said yeah theirs some old corridors n stuff you might be interested in, I said ok thanks, bye! And that was that.

I think every camera in central was following me after that 8O

What a fascinating thread! Tomorrow's lunch break will consist of a trip to the junction of North Hanover and Cathedral Street ::):

A few years ago I heard about hidden rooms and such under the station and it immediately sparked my interest. I tried contacting a couple of people about it but never had any response. One day when I was feeling brave I dragged a reluctant friend down to the station with me and asked to speak to the station master. I was lead up a flight of stairs to an office with a number of people sitting at desks, and a rather portly looking man with little hair (same guy as above perhaps?) spoke to me. I asked him about it, and he basically told me the same thing.. that there was nothing down there and even if there was, it would be too dangerous for anybody to look. I did get some strange looks from the rest of the people in the room :oops:
katimac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby AMcD » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Cheers Toomsie, nice to get some facts.

I knew the Glasgow underground exchange was abandoned after completion of few bore holes, mentioned here. Were the ones that were built part of that, or built in the 70s by Tailor Woodrow ?

Nice bit of detail about the Tron/Albion Street tunnel, must be the one Socceroo was talking about from James Cowan's book. (http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=47049#p47049).

Lots of non-gpo tunnels about Glasgow of course... :D
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects