Buchanan Street Station (Not Subway)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:08 am

From page 2 of this thread, originally posted by James73

The land in the area has been re-landscaped, but it looks like this building drops down slightly inside to the end of the tunnel... nobody is quite sure and there hasnt been any solid evidence
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:12 pm

Has anyone ever been in this building in sighthill?
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Don't think so.... don't fancy it either. You could get in through the roof but chances are you wouldnt get out. There could be a significant drop to tunnel level aswell. It's not advisable at all
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:01 pm

McShad wrote:There could be a significant drop to tunnel level aswell. It's not advisable at all

I would posit that there is in fact a staircase down to the former tunnel mouth. Otherwise
why bother building it in the first place?

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:07 pm

Yeah, I'd make that assumption too... but if someone was to gain entry, they'd have to go via the holes in the roof. So dropping down, you'd be aiming for a set of stairs in pitch black and who knows what state they are in. I'd be willing to bet they are wooden and very rotten with being exposed to the elements
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:19 pm

Indeed, not worth the risk of breaking your neck or doing anything illegal
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:24 pm

My Kitten wrote:Indeed, not worth the risk of breaking your neck or doing anything illegal

Also, getting rescued by the Brigade could be a little embarrassing - especially when they give you a bollocking in front of all the passers by.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Also.... theres likely very little to see.... its a dark tunnel like every other tunnel. Probably neck deep in very mucky water since the open end is flooded most of the year round.

Gawd, imagine whats growing/living in it!
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:50 am

Would be kinda exciting though to see what's down there hehe as long as you took the right equipment of course....ie, ladders, torch, rope
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:58 am

aint nuffin dude... just an empty tunnel like the rest of them... probably waste deep in water or a rat haven.

The forum mods wont allow posts about entering disused railway tunnels... and in this case, I totally agree with them because that tunnel is likely to be in an extremely poor condition and you'd be liable to kill yourself. Please take my word for it when I say there is nothing of significance there.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Buchanan Street Tunnel

Postby birdie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:06 pm

I walked it with a friend about 2 years ago, from the tunnel mouth. The water was quite shallow on our visit and wellies were just enough providing we clung to the right hand side wall on entering. At the far end of the tunnel there is a newly (well new to the tunnel) built brick wall with a door size opening. This then goes into a (no more than) 1 metre room (but full tunnel height room), which is then followed by another fresh looking brick wall.
Glimmers of daylight can be seen in roof of the tunnel here, which would suggest the building mentioned. Apart from a load of shoes and basic junk that was nothing else in the enclosed area and we didn't notice any steps leading upwards.

I would strongly advise against trying to enter the tunnel via that building, as it looks like a sheer drop into the tunnel. On recent visits I notice the water has got alot higher at the open tunnel mouth (at least waist deep), so it's virtually out of bounds now.

Birdie.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:12 pm

McShad wrote:Also.... theres likely very little to see.... its a dark tunnel like every other tunnel. Probably neck deep in very mucky water since the open end is flooded most of the year round.

Gawd, imagine whats growing/living in it!

If it belongs to the cooncil they'll have a few families of asylum seekers living down there.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:21 pm

A distant view of Buchanan Street in 1953.

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Great pic GK - Cowcaddens St off to the left there. 8)

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Pinkston Road Portal

Postby harki » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Visited this building a few days ago. managed to clamber up the left side of it and get a quick peek in. There is not a lot there other than some sort of black tarpolan which was bulging down with the weight of water collected. There was no sign of a staircase unless there's something underneath. Could get a pic as i had to jump up..... maybe next time! Image
Colin H
harki
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects