Lyon Street Roll of Honour (ROH)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Lyon Street Roll of Honour (ROH)

Postby Raymond Bell » Thu May 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi - Have been looking for a Roll of Honour dedicated to the men of Lyon Street off Garscube Road Glasgow

The Roll used to hang above the gantry in the Garscube Bar - Garscube Road to commemorate members from the street who fought in the Great war

I believe that about 200 men from the street joined many different units - Army - Navy - and Air Force (RFC) some of whom paid the ultimate price for their country

Lyon Street is no more apart from a collection of stones in the playground of St Josephs School

The ROH would be taken out of the pub and displayed for the people of the street every November 11th and silence would be observed at 11.00hrs - Maryhill Barracks would send a piper to play a lament and the bugle would play the last post and I believe this ceremony happened every November till just before WW2

The ROH was lost when the street was demolished and it would be amazing if any reader could give any indication as to what happened to it -

So if anyone can add to the whereabouts of the ROH could they join the discussion here please

Thanks

Raymond Bell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raymond Bell
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Lyon Street Roll of Honour (ROH)

Postby Guacho » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lyon Street Roll of Honour (ROH)

Postby Raymond Bell » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Guacho - Thanks for posting - A lady from St Josephs spoke to my Commanding Officer quite a few years ago and told the story of the ROH and he in turned called me in and asked me (sorry TOLD me) to find this ROH

I have since left the battalion but every so often the urge to look for it again arises - thus the reason for my posting in the forum

I started a thread on The Glasgow Guide Discussion Board - Questions on Glasgow forum in 2006 and had quite a few leads but no successful outcomes

Maybe someone here might add something as to what happened to the Roll of Honour as it would be great if it could be found in honour of these men

Again thank you for posting - Take care

Raymond
Raymond Bell
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects