Unknown street in Kelvindale

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Unknown street in Kelvindale

Postby hillhead68 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 am

Browsing an old Ward map of Kelvindale from Mitchell Library, I see there is what appears to be a short street at the foot of Cleveden Road hill adjacent to the disused railway cutting that served Dawsholm Gasowrks until the late 50s. There are now lockups where the street is marked. I can't quite make out the name - looks like 6 or 7 letters followed by 3 letters - something like _ _ _ _ _ _ Y ROW? From the map, it also appears there was a bridge from the end of the street across the railway cutting to the canal towpath.

I have lived in the area all but one year of my life (67 years) but have no knowledge of there having been a street of housing there.

Here's the link to the Mitchell file.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/ward-maps/?ward=24

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Last edited by hillhead68 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillhead68
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Unknown street in Kelvindale

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 pm

It was Balgray Row miners' cottages, demolished late 1920s/early 1930s

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/400.html
Notes on Miners' Houses Part I

The Glasgow (Western) District

As reform, like charity, begins at home, I first made a pilgrimage to a district west of Glasgow, and lying equidistant from Maryhill and Partick, where I had reason to believe miners' houses were not altogether in a satisfactory condition. Our road from Maryhill lies along the towing path of the Forth and Clyde Canal. After walking a quarter of a mile or so, we come to a row of miners' houses erected on a higher level than the canal, and, as if the prospect were not an inviting one, looking the other way. This is Balgray Row, belonging to Mr Addie of Langloans Colliery, and consisting of 22 room and kitchen houses, all occupied. They appear to have been built for a dozen years, and are not bad houses of their class, although in certain details they might be easily improved. In front of the row are two large ash-pits; an open drain is carried along its whole length; and at each end is a public closet. The ash-pits and drain are well kept, but the closets are untidy. Internally, the construction of the houses is good. There are two beds in the kitchen and one in the room, the floors of both apartments being of stone. On an average there are eight or nine people in each house. Few lodgers are kept, and the general health of the row is good. No fever or other epidemic exists. The people complain that for want of chimney cans there is a good deal of smoke in the houses, and also that the supply of Loch Katrine water is defective. For the last three weeks they have carried water from the Maryhill Gas Works, Mr Hislop, the manager of these works, having kindly allowed them to do so. The rent paid for all the houses is 9s a month of four weeks, or £5 17s a year. The tenant is liable to ejectment on leaving the service of his landlord.

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby hillhead68 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:09 pm

That's very interesting and, if demolished as recently as 40s/50s, I'm puzzled as to why no-one seems to remember or have heard of them. There's a couple of images dating from 1912 for Balgray Row in the Mitchell Library archives, although the site is said to be 'Dalmarnock'. Sure that it's from the foot of Cleveden Road looking towards the Temple gas holders.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... iO30=&pg=2
hillhead68
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 pm

apologies, i meant late 1920s/early 1930s :$ the terrace can be seen in aerial images of 1928 but is gone by 1939

2018-03-11 20.14.36.png

2018-03-11 20.15.14.png

(original post edited to clarify)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby hillhead68 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks, that solves the mystery as I've seen Luftwaffe reconnaissance photos of Kelvindale, presumably from late 30s, with no sign of Balgray Row. The other images I had seen before but had never noticed the Row. Also puzzled as to why there is no sign of the single track railway that served Temple gasworks in the large scale map that shows Balgray Row. Its track would be between the Row and the canal towpath. Must have been constructed after the date of that map.
hillhead68
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 pm

The mineral line is there in 1928, it emerges from the tunnel just to the east of Balgray Row into a relatively deep cutting which becomes visible just west of my crop. You can see what i mean about the depth of the cutting below the brow of Balgray Row as it heads west under the road viaduct in the 1939 image. Note the line runs south of the long and low maintenance shed in the 1939 image, you can just about make the line of the line (for want of a better phrase) passing in front of that shed in the 1928 image
crusty_bint
-
-

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects