military

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:37 am

Apollo wrote:Out of interest Pgcc93, I can see the WW2 AA appearance of the site, (and thanks for the location too) but isn't Cold War AA a bit of a contradiction, planes too high, missiles too fast, or is there a known connection between the site and the Cold War you could add for us?

AFAIK Apollo they were built circa 1948- and never brought into use due to the Ruskies developing better things to hit us with back in the early 1950's onwards, missiles etc. The powers that be hadn't taken into account the advancement of technology in the post war years hence they were redundant as soon as they were completed :?. Hope this makes some sense :?: :wink:
Interesting to note that they were all built on or near high ground and in valleys. Probably to protect against a sneaky low level surprise :?:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:59 am

Thanks, your suspected build date and their then being redundant make perfect sense.

This is only a few miles away from me and this is the first hint I've had of its existence, or the other listed nearby.

I wish I could think of a logical way to get hold of this type of info and get it organised (not a dig at HG's organisation :)) , as I always feel its a shame there are many of these locations only few people know about, but may would be interested in, and they will be lost as they will never attract any sort of preservation funds like the those featured in say BBC's Restoration.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: military

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 pm

This may be of interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21243179

The remains of a network of pillboxes and gun emplacements can be found at various coastal locations around the country and a short trip across the English Channel will ensure you come face to face with the Nazi Atlantic Wall that was there to stop the Allied forces returning to mainland Europe, something it failed to achieve.

These constructions may lack architectural glamour yet they are important parts of our recent history and do have a certain beauty, and a fascination for many especially as children.

Photographer Marc Wilson has been busily recording these structures before many of them are reduced to rubble or swept under the waves. His delicate pictures contrast with the rough construction and the planned use of each site where men hid, ready to kill the approaching enemy.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects