Glasgow 1980, The Photographs of Raymond Depardon.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow 1980, The Photographs of Raymond Depardon.

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Got this set of Raymond Depardon photos of Glasgow circa 1980 from 'Lost Glasgow' via John McGowan, they really are something special:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... =EAQHSwyr4
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow 1980, The Photographs of Raymond Depardon.

Postby cumbo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Fab set there, it was I guess why most of us started here, just recording Glasgow as we see it and a reminder that we should carry on doing what we do.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Fantastic photos. Some of the subject matter is genuinely from the past. I can't recall the last time I saw a group of street drinkers with a fire? Maybe I'm leading a sheltered life these days?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:I can't recall the last time I saw a group of street drinkers with a fire? Maybe I'm leading a sheltered life these days?

I'm not so sure about the outdoor drinking, you only have to walk past that hostel next to Paddy's Market to see that things have not really changed. I was thinking about the fire this morning, it reminds me of the photos Strepadair took of a similar scene in the Calton / Gorbals area sometime in the '60s. I think the fires in general had more to do with the many demolitions that were going on at the time. The first thing the workies would do of a cold morning was light a fire & feed it constantly with wood they stripped from the surrounding buildings, this would obviously attract the alfresco set.

Some of the subject matter is genuinely from the past

It's so easy in these days of 'City of Culture' 'Commonwealth Games' 'Ryder Cups' 'People Make Glasgow, and the like to forget that there is still devastating poverty in Glasgow & surrounding areas, we tend not to see it so much these days due the the brightness of the 'vibrance' (arf) that surrounds us as we toddle off to the 'Merchant City' for a Friday night out or to the the 'Buchanan Galleries' for our modern day version of Sunday worship.

Hardly surprising that Glasgow voted a resounding YES in the recent referendum after so many years of unthinkingly voting for Labour. This is not a party political broadcast, it's just the way I see it.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:15 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:Fantastic photos. Some of the subject matter is genuinely from the past. I can't recall the last time I saw a group of street drinkers with a fire? Maybe I'm leading a sheltered life these days?

what about the Grangad walk in the street up to the spire? My memory says they had a fire. maybe stereotyping (from fear :oops: )
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Marko » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:54 am

Maybe I'm being oversensitive about it all, but I feel a bit of discomfort with the idea of taking photos of people who are as far down as those in the first pic, especially as the guy in the middle seems to be trying his best to stay out of shot. The whole set is embued with squalor and if all you had to go on were those pics, you could almost be forgiven for thinking that was all Glasgow was in 1980.

I feel as if the photographer unwittingly went out of his way to find such images, all the while thinking he was capturing the average Glasgow punter for posterity, and I can't help thinking of the Spitting Image sketch where Prince Charles wants to speak to a "typical Londoner", only to be told by his flunky that "there weren't all that many typical people about today, sir...".
Marko
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:31 pm

If anyone free and they'd still like to see daily drinkers and meth smokers give me a shout. Most can be clocked on waste(D) ground not far from Parkhead Cross.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Bridie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Great pictures.
Wonder why that wee boy was crying his eyes out at the street corner. :(
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:33 pm

His mammy ran away with the coalman.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:54 am

Marko wrote:Maybe I'm being oversensitive about it all, but I feel a bit of discomfort with the idea of taking photos of people who are as far down as those in the first pic, especially as the guy in the middle seems to be trying his best to stay out of shot. The whole set is embued with squalor and if all you had to go on were those pics, you could almost be forgiven for thinking that was all Glasgow was in 1980.

I feel as if the photographer unwittingly went out of his way to find such images, all the while thinking he was capturing the average Glasgow punter for posterity, and I can't help thinking of the Spitting Image sketch where Prince Charles wants to speak to a "typical Londoner", only to be told by his flunky that "there weren't all that many typical people about today, sir...".

I can certainly see your point, Marko, though if nobody took photos like that it would never have been recorded at all. It's not the whole of Glasgow, but it happened. (I would hide from the camera too.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby dazza » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:16 am

Fossil wrote:If anyone free and they'd still like to see daily drinkers and meth smokers give me a shout. Most can be clocked on waste(D) ground not far from Parkhead Cross.

Or maybe bAzTNM could do a HG jaikies walk, as he seems to find them everywhere he goes.
dazza
-
-

Postby Bridie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:52 am

HollowHorn wrote:His mammy ran away with the coalman.

Your a heartless man

but I'll still keep in touch :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Anyone know where this picture was taken?
https://pro.magnumphotos.com/CS.aspx?VP ... H=647&PN=2
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby PaulK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:26 am

PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

govan.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects