St Johns Church Hall, Baillieston, about 1938

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

St Johns Church Hall, Baillieston, about 1938

Postby War Baby » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 am

This photo of church members was taken at St Johns Episcopal Church in Baillieston, about 1938. I am hoping to identify some of them. People I already know are as follows: Ada Widdop, who married Kenny Martin in 1939, is 2nd from left in back row. To her right is Ada's boyfriend at the time - someone called Warner Wallace, who came from Shettleston, and died in WW2 in Japanese waters. Ada's sister, Elza Widdop is centre of back row, just above the woman with the large hat. Ada's other sister, Edith, who married a Denmark, and lived in South Scott Street, is in the second row, 2nd from the left, and appears to be dressed as either a nun or a nurse. And their mother Evelyn Widdop is in the centre, 2nd row, on the right of the girl with her hat at a jaunty angle.

Can anyone identify a grandparent or anyone else in this photo? It appears to have been taken at either a party or a pantomime in the big hall. The church hall (which was demolished years ago) also had very well attended Plays, and I was in one of these myself, around about the late forties when I was a kid.

Some of the plays St Johns put on were first class!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects