St Enoch Station (Not Subway)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: St Enoch Station (Not Subway)

Postby Rucola » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Knightmare wrote:I'm a bit confused. Can someone please clarify:- Did the trains arriving at St Enoch come in from the West ie under what is now the St Enoch Centre, or did they arrive from the south?

If you go and stand in the car park on the east side of Stockwell Street and compare it with the map above, you can still see quite clearly where the trains went — to the east over the arches that now house Mono cafe-bar and a t-shirt shop, and to the south up above the brick wall next to the Westering Winds pub. Where the bus stop now is on Stockwell St was underneath a bridge.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:43 pm

scotty wrote:2nd is much later, this one some of the windows look to be boarded up, so guessing it was closed when this was taken (possibly 1960's - is that a mini parked out front? Mibby I could ask the Strathy Cruise boys :D)

The hotel closed in the first half of '74 I believe so any time between then and demolition in '78 (or was the hotel demolished in '77? I've seen it in photographs taken when St Enoch Sq. was dug up during refurbishment of the subway so I've always assumed '78).
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Mori wrote:The street that runs at the side of the front entrance of the hotel towards Stockwell st, what was it called ? were ther other streets leading to argyle st from here ?

HH wrote:I think it may be called St. Enoch Place now, there is a street sign on the wall, can't quite remember what it says though.

Had a look to-day & realised that with the new extension to the shopping centre, the street has now disappeared entirely, at least for the foreseeable future.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Rucola wrote:
Knightmare wrote:I'm a bit confused. Can someone please clarify:- Did the trains arriving at St Enoch come in from the West ie under what is now the St Enoch Centre, or did they arrive from the south?

If you go and stand in the car park on the east side of Stockwell Street and compare it with the map above, you can still see quite clearly where the trains went — to the east over the arches that now house Mono cafe-bar and a t-shirt shop, and to the south up above the brick wall next to the Westering Winds pub. Where the bus stop now is on Stockwell St was underneath a bridge.

Rucola's post got me curious as I wasn't enirely sure what he meant, so I decided to check things out.

I've walked and parked in that area hundreds of times too but never really thought about why those bridges and viaducts were there and where it all went to.

Looking south towards the Westering Winds pub...

Then looking east from the same spot towards one of the bridges...

Under the same bridge looking north up King Street...

Other side of the same bridge looking south (towards the High Court/Clyde)...

This is the bridge which took the trains over the Clyde (viewed from the Albert bridge)...

Looking north from Saltmarket to bridge which took trains east...

Looking towards the same Saltmarket bridge from Osborne Street...

Junction of King St/Osborne St at T-Shirt Shop...

It all more or less makes sense if you look at the map.
Anything in the area that is now the King Street carpark is long gone as well as anything west of Stockwell Street.
All the other bits are still there. Wonder what it's like up on those bridges and viaducts?
From ground level it looks really overgrown. Look at those trees in the last picture!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Great photos purplepantman.

I was always a bit confused because I assumed the railway line came over Bridgegate and then ran parallel to it, when of course it didn't, it carries on parallel to Shipbank Lane and what was up on the now disused bit of viaduct were tracks coming from St Enoch going south.

What's up there now? Bushes, as Google Maps will show.

Incidentally the anti-poll tax graffiti up on that south viaduct must be getting on for 20 years old now.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 am

HollowHorn wrote:
Mori wrote:The street that runs at the side of the front entrance of the hotel towards Stockwell st, what was it called ? were ther other streets leading to argyle st from here ?

I think it may be called St. Enoch Place now, there is a street sign on the wall, can't quite remember what it says though.

Was it once called Croy Place? Or was that the street behind the wall?:

Google Maps appears to believe it's the south end of Buchanan Street, but I'd want to see other evidence that Buchanan Street ever extended south of Argyle Street before giving credence to that.

Croy Place looks to have been the back court of the buildings on Argyle St if you ask me.

Does that map suggest that Maxwell Street continued through a tunnel under the station? I assumed it was just cut in two when the station was built (as it remains bifurcated today).
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stranger » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 pm

Rucola wrote:
Incidentally the anti-poll tax graffiti up on that south viaduct must be getting on for 20 years old now.

It was first painted a couple of weeks before the anti poll tax rally on March 18th 1989, it was a lot less overgrown up there then!!

I think it has been altered a few times since then.
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rucola » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:23 am

Ah, 1989? I was thinking 1990 was the first one but my memory is playing tricks on me. I do remember they just painted over the date the year after. There seemed to be some vast anti-poll tax demonstration every six weeks back then.

How long has Easy Rider been up there? It's a lot newer I think.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Escapee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi, may have bee answered already but the car in the second St Enoch pic looks like a Renault 4
Cheers
Escapee
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Rucola » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Rucola wrote:Incidentally the anti-poll tax graffiti up on that south viaduct must be getting on for 20 years old now.

And it's gone now. Labour's revenge? Is that part of the bridge the council took over from Network Rail?
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fullfatmilk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:38 am

Hi all

Stumbled across a webpage tonight with images of the station being demolished that i'd never seen before:

http://roberthenderson.fotopic.net/c1394697.html

Well worth a look!
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DickyHart » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 am

fullfatmilk wrote:Hi all

Stumbled across a webpage tonight with images of the station being demolished that i'd never seen before:

http://roberthenderson.fotopic.net/c1394697.html

Well worth a look!

nice find!! thank you
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Took this photo of the St Enoch Station clock which is of course located in part of Cumbernauld Shopping Centre and i've included the photo of where it used to be:-

I think it looks better in its original location. Wouldn't it have been better to attach it to the front of the St Enoch Centre building???
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:36 pm

There was talk of the clock being brought back to the new st enoch centre extension a while back, dont know if anything became of that proposal.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Mori wrote:There was talk of the clock being brought back to the new st enoch centre extension a while back, dont know if anything became of that proposal.
Hopefully not, that monstrosity is not a worthy home :evil: .
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects