St Enoch Station (Not Subway)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:01 pm

Up until recent years they had it right.

St Enoch station was meant to be a testiment to engineering and it was bulldozed to fill in the founds for the SECC.

It took a good 600 years to complete The Louvre in Paris (roughly). Give that to a current developer and you'd be laughed at.

There is a lot to say with getting it right first time to save the hassle of destruction.
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:44 pm

crusty_bint wrote:No-one should ever apologise for bringing up an old thread

I think your da was probably winding you up. There was a church in St Enoch's Sq but was demolished to ease traffic management (like so much of this city) but I doubt it was ever related to any monastery. Whats more probable is that he was talking about the substantial vaulted undercroft on which St Enoch's station and hotel sat.

I'll check with him, but he's been telling me for years. He was also saying something about fireplaces in these old 'quarters'. I'll check with him again next week. Watch this space

Some of those diagrams are amazing you get the sense that it was absolutely massive. It was truly a shame that it was taken down and replaced with that glass monstosity and used an infill for a metal monstrosity. :evil: :evil:
Chris
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:12 pm

Great thread. St Enoch's square could indeed be a great place if that monstrosity of a centre was torn down and replaced with some that showed some archetectural foresight.

And what's with that grotty disgusting market they had there over the holiday weekend? Another excuse for litter and disgusting food smells.

GCC can't even get that right.

When are Glaswegians going to wise up and vote Labour out of the city chambers?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:57 pm

that monstrosity of a centre

The southern quarter of the square is far, far, far worse looking. Get rid of that!
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:05 pm

Fat Cat wrote:GCC can't even get that right.

Thats just silly
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:33 am

McShad wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:GCC can't even get that right.

Thats just silly

I know, I know. I was just having a wee rant.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: St Enoch Station p.s.

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:46 pm

applemaca wrote:I found the station clock in Cumbernauld a few years back but that too has gone now........ 8O

The clock is back on display in Cumbernauld, in part of the new Antonine Centre. I know, cuz I've just walked past it ten minutes ago!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mr. B » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Here's a pic I took back in July. Sorry about the quality, I took it on my Mobile.

Mr. B
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: St Enoch Station (Not Subway)

Postby jimmy1959 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:11 am

applemaca wrote:[=darkblue]Hi!
I've been trying to find photos of St Enoch Station Platform area and i'm having "nae luck" ...begining to wonder if imagined the place. It seems to me that for such a large station to have left so little trace behind is pretty sad......... :(

Dave
[/colour]

After the station closed and up until the St. Enoch centre was built there where three lamposts that came from the station positioned in St. Enoch Square. The attractive lamp posts had the letters G.S.W.R. (Glasgow and South Western Railway) on them as they where the company that opened the station and hotel. St. Enoch station was the first large building in Glasgow to be lit by electricity albeit generated by a steam powered generator. i don't know what happened to the lovely lamposts but i hope that someone had the sense to keep them preserved.
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Library of Congress picture from Flickr

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Beautiful. I love the wee street to the left there. (The rest of the set is pretty damn good too - worth a good look.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Charlie Endell » Sat May 09, 2009 9:30 am

I was speaking to a guy in the Horseshoe last night regarding St Enoch. He works for Scotrail (can't remember his exact job - I'd had a fair few - but pretty certain he's involved in managing the trains in and out of Central) so I button-holed him about the frustration of being on a train which sits outside Central for 5 / 10 / 15mins plus for no apparent reason. He confirmed that it's down to lack of capacity, which just makes the loss of St Enoch (as has been pointed out, the only mainline station with north and south access) even harder to bear.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby aland » Sat May 09, 2009 2:00 pm

hindsight is a great thing, if anyone had known how passenger numbers and the amount of commuters coming into central they wouldnt have closed st enoch and it would probably be electrified by now for the ayrshire and inverclyde stuff. yes the old st enoch was needing a lot of work both building and track but all was do-able

as it is central wont be able to cope and there is no way round it, you cant expand the place in any direcion, the new platforms are testament to that
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Sat May 09, 2009 3:02 pm

there are a number of things they are considering at Glasgow to alleviate congestion, one of which is extra platforms on the low level, or rather, re-opening one or both of the closed platforms down there.

The platform(s) on the high level is being inroduced to serve the Glasgow Airport Rail link.
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Haggis » Sat May 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Used to play around the station and hotel when a kid in the 60s,remember the grey lady ghost in the hotel:)
GLASGOW,IS REALLY MISSING THIS STATION NOW EH.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects