St Enoch Station (Not Subway)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: St Enoch Station (Not Subway)

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:59 pm

Where the clock is in Cumbernauld shopping Centre doesn't really do it justice either, and it's still broke, passed it on Saturday and it was stopped!

Not sure if they have tried to fix it as I notice that it is at different times whenever I've passed it, mibby the cleaner keeps leaving it unplugged when she plugs her wee floor polisher in :D

Anyone got a ny photos of where it used to be in Cumbernauld before they moved it?
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:27 am

there is a clock at Hamilton Bus Station that hasn't worked for about 8 years!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:47 am

The clocks in Cumbernauld and Hamilton are accurate twice a day, every day.....council cut backs mean that they switch the clocks off for 23 hours 59 minutes and 58 seconds each day.......what an idea!
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:16 am

they said in Hamilton they need to make cutbacks on public loos etc, but outside County Buildings they can still light up the fountains at night!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 am

Any reason that a NEW St Enoch Station couldn't be built? Most of the approach is only occupied by that excuse for a car park.
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby southsider52 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Found another reference to the clock if anyone's interested.

http://www.its-called-cumbernauld.com/st-enoch-clock.html
southsider52
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Rucola » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 pm

applemaca wrote:Any reason that a NEW St Enoch Station couldn't be built? Most of the approach is only occupied by that excuse for a car park.

Absence of political will.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Rucola wrote:
applemaca wrote:Any reason that a NEW St Enoch Station couldn't be built? Most of the approach is only occupied by that excuse for a car park.

Absence of political will.

Was there any actual need for a station there at that time? I don't recall exactly how the footprint of the old station compares with the shopping centre but I imagine without the station site the shopping centre wouldn't have been a viable proposition.

I'm no defender of more shopping centres for the sake of more shopping centres but British Rail Properties Board(?) must have seen that location as a way to make a great deal of money.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 am

The Egg Man wrote:Was there any actual need for a station there at that time? I don't recall exactly how the footprint of the old station compares with the shopping centre but I imagine without the station site the shopping centre wouldn't have been a viable proposition.

I'm no defender of more shopping centres for the sake of more shopping centres but British Rail Properties Board(?) must have seen that location as a way to make a great deal of money.

Depends what you mean by 'need'.

The footprint of the old station obliterates the shopping centre. I was only ever in the place once, when it was used as a carpark, post-closure but pre-demolition.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:19 am

Knightmare wrote:The clocks in Cumbernauld and Hamilton are accurate twice a day, every day.....council cut backs mean that they switch the clocks off for 23 hours 59 minutes and 58 seconds each day.......what an idea!

The clock at Dalmally Station is the same, its accurate at 0410 and 1610 only
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Certainly given the lack of capacity in Central, which was part of the reason for the demolition of 11a and car park for the new platforms for GARL, there could be a case, in a crossrail (like that will ever happen!) system to have certain trains terminating at this location.

A new St Enoch could have 5-ish platforms and be built over the surface car parks and Stockwell Street. You could even keep the car parks at lower level and have a connection to Argyle Street low level (but that might be too narrow and congested to cope). It could take some pressure off Queen Street lower level and Central high level. Indeed Paisley Canal trains could I think be taken away from interaction with Ayr/Greenock lines too (although it should be taken back through the southside of Paisley to Elderslie but that is another story!)

Given the impressive rail works for London in both crossrail and my personal favourite the fantastic Thameslink project, with the extension of Blackfriers Station across the River Thames it could be done. I know there is/was a plan for development of the NCP off Stockwell Street, but at the current economic times...

Lack of vision, political will and money will forever hold this back- I mean the Paisley Canal line is a clear example. Closed in 1983 and partly reopened in 1990. :roll:
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: titfield thunderbolt

Postby the researcher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:25 pm

dazed_and_confused wrote:
Socceroo wrote:Anyone know if The Titfield Thunderbolt is on over the hols? :D

You've been converted! ::):

Great wholesome film, but I don't know if it's on any time soon.

it was given free with the daily mail a couple of years ago try charity shops they usually sell these newspaper dvd for about 25 or 30p or try ebay usually around the same price if you want the newspaper version
great st trinians train robbery also features trains as does robbery(based on the great train robbery)
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:00 am

Spotted this morning. Some photos and a wee bit of history.

http://www.glasgowhistory.com/st-enoch-square.html

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:49 pm

love reading about this station thanks for that.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects