Petrochemicals from Linn Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Petrochemicals from Linn Park

Postby Socceroo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46 am

There is no way that the wee lump of concrete is a retort. Way too small for an early retort. Early industrial processes started big and then got even bigger as they developed.

Your TDOC engineer, who I know very well is a day dreamer.

The lumps of concrete are parts of the bridge structure that took water mains over the river.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm

It was a really nice day today and I was in the park taking pictures anyway so I paid another visit to the lump.

Looking up at the pipe you can see the cut off pipe, the T section iron work below the pipe and the remains of a support rod;

Looking over to the structure on the opposite bank and there is the same pipe, T section and a longer remaining section of support rod in the same configuration.

There is talk of a steam injector pipe half way up. The only pipe half way up is this one;

Im no steam engineer but injector pipe says to me small bore to maintain high pressure but this pipe was of similar diameter to the pipe at the top of the column.

I also got a shot onto the hole below the top pipe;

The column looks solid with iron top piece to fix the metal work to and no sign of a void running vertically through the middle.

Looking at the type of concrete used I cant work out how you would build the internal features into a retort that is solid, poured concrete;

I wonder as well if this is the modern water main running over the river bed;

As far as the TDOC engineer goes,I find it strange that when his website states the features purpose (pipe bridge) as a fact, states its reason for removal as a fact and states the date at which it was removed as a fact but he now says it could be something else.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:39 am

I bought into this idea after studying the original photo but Anorak - from the beginning did NOT advise of an identical structure on the opposite bank of the river. Tut, tut,

Another day dreamer. I've seen them come, I've seen them go.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:45 am

I had a look at the 1:2500 scale OS maps on the old map site, on the 1954 and 1961 maps there is something that looks like “pipeline xxxx” marked at this location, but the resolution of the image is poor and you can’t read it fully. To my mind the photos that Dave produced to show that the structure on the other side has the same attachments shows that the two are linked and neither can be looked at in isolation. Much as I would have liked it to be an old shale retort, I’m afraid I’m firmly in the pipe bridge camp now.

On a side issue what’s the point of having old OS maps on line if you can’t read the detail! Having been used to the excellent NLS I must admit I now hate the old map site, this really is the worst place for more recent old ordnance survey maps to be made available to the public, apart from it being clunky and poorly designed, they seem to offer an “enhanced view” but you have to pay £9.99 a month, what a rip off for what is public data!

Does anyone know of a better resource for post WW2 OS maps of this scale?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Agree the Old Maps site is dross, I stopped going into it long ago. I wouldn't dream of paying a tenner a month to view maps.

I can't think of any online resource that has post war mapping. For the area in question the map drawers in the Mitchell would be the best bet.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm

As a final comment to close this down it came to me that these lumps of shale lying in the river bed would have been washed down the river in time of spate and so came from elsewhere.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:51 pm

I had left this in the hope we would have new evidence from the OP but it seems they have gone quiet on the subject.

I am guessing that the OP is adamant about it being a retort as it is still described as such on his website but it would be nice to have concrete evidence for its original use.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects