Barrowland ballroom

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Barrowland ballroom

Postby calamity » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 am

Its quite easy to get a tour round the old dancehall on the Gallowgate if you phone and ask..I took a small group last year and we had the place to ourselves...
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Barrowland ballroom

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:50 am

sign me up, i'll go
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Would anyone else be interested..need at least six to make it worthwhile..for a tour
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

The tour we had on doors open day this year was really informative and pretty thrilling for those of us of an age to have attended a lot of concerts at the place. I couldn't get over how small the ballroom looked compared to how it appeared back when I was struggling across the floor with three pints in plastic dishes and the whole place full of exited youth!

Anyway, here is the bog that Lemmy used before going on stage:

Heavy Metal WC by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

hahaha aye the stainless stell toilets.. I remember them well and took some photos when our wee group were there..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 pm

I would be up for a tour :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:06 am

Need dates all available to book it with the manager.. their good at fitting tours in..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:59 am

I used to work in it as gig security, met some legends. including lemmy, who asked for a one of the fruit machines to be brought into his dressing room. He mustve spent put a small fortune into it. As time for the gig came, he warned everyone not to touch it as he was due some nudges!!

Played five a sides on the dancefloor with a great wee band from liverpool called Space. We then had to pull the singer off the amp stacks during their gig as he starting climbing up them as they werent very secure.

My personal fave was Natalie Imbrulia who came on did four songs and walked off. The sold out crowd where wanting to lynch her. Her excuse was she had a sore throat, in reality she was hungover from the MTV awards the previous night.

And Eagle Eye Cherry playing to 35 people and once he played his one hit, 30 of them left!!!

Wouldnt mind a tour depending on the date. Coz I never got any piccies in my time there.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Myself and another enthusiast are usually free Mon-Wed. most weeks , but not so much the end of the week.... we can try and fit it all in...interesting wee stories there about the old place....
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Nuala Naughton's new book has a wealth of stories about this venue and features contributions from one or two HG members. Sadly, she didn't use this photograph of bandleader Billy McGregor.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/editions/t ... 1780576503

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bonniecharlotte » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi, I'm newly registered. My parents were born in Glasgow and came to America in 1921 and 1925. In 1957 my parents, sister, and myself sailed from NY to Southampton and took a train to Glasgow. My sister and I were 19 and 21 at the time, and our two cousins (Alan & Tom) were just around our age and they took us to Barrowland! We had a GREAT TIME! We not only went to Barrowland but there was another dance hall (can't remember the name) that we went to as well!
bonniecharlotte
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:44 am

I've only got one thing to say - and its about the first post.

If you really are from Glasgow then you are never ON the Gallowgate, your are always IN it. America this isn't.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Icecube wrote:I
If you really are from Glasgow then you are never ON the Gallowgate, your are always IN it. America this isn't.

And Star Wars it ain't either.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jefrus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:51 pm

The Barrowlands and the Saracen Head

A melting pot of lost treasure of questionable value, Bampots, Speculators, Entrepreneurs and mostly those trying to stretch the pennies.

barrowland-saracen-head-by-jefrus.jpg

On the Other side of the street is The Saracen Head Inn, a Glasgow pub thats been around for a long long year to quote the Rolling Stones. I first heard about this as a kid when I was about seven or eight listening to Billy Connolly's 'Last Supper' sketch where he tells us the Bible contained a misprint and that Jesus wasn't from Gallilee but in fact from the Gallowgate and so the last supper is conducted over a few cheap wines at the Saracen Head. I used to listen to this on a gramophone record when no one was around on a thing called a Radiogram that my mum championed as 'The Only' way to listen to records. Still makes me cry with laughter

- See more at: http://www.jefrus-graphic-art.com/graph ... p-art.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jefrus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects