Hidden Platforms

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hidden Platforms

Postby ronniem96 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 pm

So yes im new here and thought i would update you guys on the hidden platform 20-21 at Glasgow Central. Exciting yeah!! So the best bit is, Network rail are opening it up for free visits in september!!! Worth a wee look and quite interesting. The platform entrance is between platform 5 and 6, if you go to their twitter site their is some pics on the left hand side!!

Also off topic i had read up abit on the tunnels under glasgow, once owned by BT and eased my way on a possible vist down them!!

:D
ronniem96
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:16 pm

You might just be our new best friend :wink:

Do keep us posted.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
User avatar
Lucky Poet
-
-
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:15 am
Location: Up a close

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby ronniem96 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Yay :) will do !!
ronniem96
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby sjclancy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 pm

The Pics are already posted here http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12385

well worth a visit I think!
User avatar
sjclancy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Paisley

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby browning » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm fascinated by this. Are these platforms parallel to and underneath the upper platforms? How were they accessed by trains? This would of course surely have involved a lower level accessed by a tunnel at some point just after the river bridge?

I'm no expert on Central Station but I've never seen any physical evidence of this on the station approaches as trains enter the station.

Can anyone shed light on my curiosity.

Thanks.
browning
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:06 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Low level.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6255
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Railwayman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:56 pm

ronniem96 wrote:So yes im new here and thought i would update you guys on the hidden platform 20-21 at Glasgow Central. Exciting yeah!! So the best bit is, Network rail are opening it up for free visits in september!!! Worth a wee look and quite interesting. The platform entrance is between platform 5 and 6, if you go to their twitter site their is some pics on the left hand side!!

I can't say too much about this because its still under development, but tours of the roof are certainly planned for one weekend of the Doors Open Days in September (21st and 22nd I think). There is the possibility of these tours also covering the high level basement - though not the bit under the low level or the disused platforms - if the formal risk assessment and any remedial work can be carried out in time. Plans are also at an advanced stage for day and night roof tours throughout the year and tours of the disused platforms and high/low level basements, again subject to risk assessment and remedial works. I've recently been shown round the two potential tour routes part of the looking at the feasibility of the idea and it was very interesting indeed!
Railwayman
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Alycidon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:47 am

Posted this is the general railway thread before I realised that there was a thread for it . Anyway, dis anyone buy the Herald on Sunday? In the Magazine is a superb photograph of the fabled "lost platform" of Glasgow Central Low Level, big double page spread plus some reasonably good narrative about the open doors event taking place there. Apparently applications for the event crashed the website and as it is so heavily over subscribed they are potentially making it a regular, even daily event!!

Form an orderly queue everyone!!!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
User avatar
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Eaglesham

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Buzby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, I was one of the lucky few that DID manage to go on the tour - and all thanks must go to the Network Rail staff for organising it, and nothing to the OD folk who managed to turn ticketing into a rammy, and even with a confirmed EventBrite booking, this didn't manage to filter through to Station Staff (long story).

The so-called 'lost platforms excited me, until I realised in my youth when plunking school, I went down to the Low Level and recall seeing no tracks, but two island platforms.... and daylight! The tenement at the corner of Hope Street and Argyle Street either fell down or was otherwise removed, leaving a vacant site and a steep gradient from street level down to what would have been basement/foundation level. I believe it allowed up to 40-50 cars to park, BUT you could look across to the two island platforms and the tunnels heading East/West (now the Argyle line).

The renovation of the Low Level only refurbed ONE of the island platforms, the remaining was then hidden behind a wall built to contain just the two tracks. By this time Westergate had replaced the vacant ground but supposedly did not encroach further.

The impression I got from the tour(and I could be mistaken due to information overload - was that there was TWO tunnels adjacent, one the original Central Line (now Argyle) and the 'hidden' one, that headed off in the direction of the 'Royal infirmary'. However. as the LL line was constructed by cut and cover and follows the alignment of Argyle Street, there is not enough room for two running tunnels.

Can anyone shed any light on this?


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3205049/DSC00232.JPG

This picture is of the hidden platform at Central Station low level (looking east) the island platform edge can be clearly seen on the left.

As for the platforms supposedly being '20 & 21' - not so. These are numbers counting the iron support pillars - in my picture, which is of the reverse view shows different numbers.
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Alycidon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Buzby wrote:Well, I was one of the lucky few that DID manage to go on the tour - and all thanks must go to the Network Rail staff for organising it, and nothing to the OD folk who managed to turn ticketing into a rammy, and even with a confirmed EventBrite booking, this didn't manage to filter through to Station Staff (long story).

The so-called 'lost platforms excited me, until I realised in my youth when plunking school, I went down to the Low Level and recall seeing no tracks, but two island platforms.... and daylight! The tenement at the corner of Hope Street and Argyle Street either fell down or was otherwise removed, leaving a vacant site and a steep gradient from street level down to what would have been basement/foundation level. I believe it allowed up to 40-50 cars to park, BUT you could look across to the two island platforms and the tunnels heading East/West (now the Argyle line).

The renovation of the Low Level only refurbed ONE of the island platforms, the remaining was then hidden behind a wall built to contain just the two tracks. By this time Westergate had replaced the vacant ground but supposedly did not encroach further.

The impression I got from the tour(and I could be mistaken due to information overload - was that there was TWO tunnels adjacent, one the original Central Line (now Argyle) and the 'hidden' one, that headed off in the direction of the 'Royal infirmary'. However. as the LL line was constructed by cut and cover and follows the alignment of Argyle Street, there is not enough room for two running tunnels.

Can anyone shed any light on this?


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3205049/DSC00232.JPG

This picture is of the hidden platform at Central Station low level (looking east) the island platform edge can be clearly seen on the left.

As for the platforms supposedly being '20 & 21' - not so. These are numbers counting the iron support pillars - in my picture, which is of the reverse view shows different numbers.


I don't understand the "TWO tunnels adjacent, one the original Central Line (now Argyle) and the 'hidden' one, that headed off in the direction of the 'Royal infirmary'. However. as the LL line was constructed by cut and cover and follows the alignment of Argyle Street, there is not enough room for two running tunnels" at all. I can only think that the guide was referring to the two routes that split after Finnieston (now Exhibition Centre), one ran under Yorkhill Hospital to Partick Central and is partly used by the Argyle line the other went up to Kelvin Bridge and Botanic Gardens and is disused, the junction was inside a tunnel.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
User avatar
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Eaglesham

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby moonbeam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 pm

The present Argyle Line after Partick heading towards Central Station actually mainly uses a single track freight tunnel
constructed to bring in refuse to the corporation incinerator via the old Caledonian Railway system. The North British railway brought in refuse by rail via the other lines. The refuse incinerator had one of the biggest "stacks" chimneys in Glasgow.
If you look at old maps around 1912 or so you can see the layout. There was a similar rail incinerator system around Aiken Street, Haghill area. It had bridges/tunnels/cuttings etc. If memory serves me it was not as big as the Yorkhill incinerator. And yes unburnt refuse did get up the bid red brick chimney and land in Anderston etc!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Alycidon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:07 am

moonbeam wrote:The present Argyle Line after Partick heading towards Central Station actually mainly uses a single track freight tunnel
constructed to bring in refuse to the corporation incinerator via the old Caledonian Railway system. The North British railway brought in refuse by rail via the other lines. The refuse incinerator had one of the biggest "stacks" chimneys in Glasgow.
If you look at old maps around 1912 or so you can see the layout. There was a similar rail incinerator system around Aiken Street, Haghill area. It had bridges/tunnels/cuttings etc. If memory serves me it was not as big as the Yorkhill incinerator. And yes unburnt refuse did get up the bid red brick chimney and land in Anderston etc!


Source? Nothing here corresponds with information I have read in various reliable sources.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
User avatar
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Eaglesham

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby Buzby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:35 pm

No - I didn't understand it either. But I may have picked it up wrong - but clearly as tours of the 'Victorian Platforms/Tunnels' is planned for the future (if there is enough interest) we'll find out for sure. My interest is due to the fact if this is the cut & cover Argyle Line, then this tunnel is clearly not 'disused' but a live running tunnel.

I have no interest in the lines running westwards from Central to Finneston and the split to Kelvinbridge (as I've already walked these in the past). But if there is something unusual eastwards, I need to know!
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby ronniem96 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:47 pm

hey guys, dident see all these reply's. I was unable to go to the event due to work commitments, anyone else get some good snaps?
ronniem96
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Hidden Platforms

Postby DavidMcD316 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:43 am

I don't think anyone got decent pictures either here or 'elsewhere', at least if they have they haven't posted them yet!!
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests