Scotway House, Castlebank Street.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Scotway House, Castlebank Street.

Postby Timchilli » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:59 am

Anyone got the goods on this place? I've tried the Mitchell and The Glasgow Story but to no avail. Google only turns up spurious "private detective" agencies operating out of this derelict building. Above the entrance is a lintel with the date 1885 engraved, and despite it being completely boarded-up, the security guard next to the building said that it remains the property of Clydeport.

Here's one of the photos I took the other day.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:00 am

Hi Tim

This looks like the office block of Meadowside Shipbuilding Yard, 165 Castlebank Street, built in 1885 to the designs of Bruce and Hay, architects. John R Hume (Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow) describes it as "a two storey, 14 bay red brick and sandstone structure in French Renaissance style, with a central tower".

I think Scotway was a haulage firm. You could check the Post Office Glasgow Directory (in the Mitchell) to list the previous occupiers.

Hope this helps.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:01 am

I think it was the main drawing offices of DW Henderson shipbuilders.

The building is listed and it is supposed to be taken down and rebuilt elsewhere within the Glasgow Harbour development.

You can almost see the Witherspoons sign already :evil:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:03 am

Pgcc93 wrote:You can almost see the Witherspoons sign already :evil:

That is so true :roll:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:10 am

Pgcc93 wrote:I think it was the main drawing offices of DW Henderson shipbuilders.

Yes, they owned the Meadowside yard.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:22 am

Ronnie wrote:Hope this helps.

Most helpful, Ronnie. Thanks for that.
Would dearly love to see what it looks like inside.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:33 am

Looks like D & W Henderson in the 1927 directory.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... ess807.jpg

:D
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scorpius360 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:45 pm

There was a article in the paper (can't remember which one, could have been the Evening Times) not too long ago which said that this building, which is on the site of the new Glasgow Harbour development, was going to be taken down brick by brick and rebuilt somewhere else on the same site. I think I remeber it mentioning that it was going to be a pub or restaurant of some sort. Im sure it must be listed but when you think about it this building is the only one on the entire Glasgow Harbour site that seems worth saving and is of any reusable value, the rest are just old warhouses. Obviously with exception to the building at the tall ship. Don't know what plans they have for that but Im sure that it will still be there when the development reaches that far along!
scorpius360
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Timchilli » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:15 am

scorpius360 wrote:There was a article in the paper (can't remember which one, could have been the Evening Times) not too long ago which said that this building, which is on the site of the new Glasgow Harbour development, was going to be taken down brick by brick and rebuilt somewhere else on the same site

I found this today:

"In addition to the new roadworks the City Council have approved plans for the realocation of Scotway House and are currently considering applications for road closures and removal of the disused railway line along Castlebank Street. Work on the new road system, removal of the disused rail line and realocation of Scotway House are programmed to commence later in 2003."
(http://www.mcinally-associates.co.uk/news.htm)

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bruce » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:11 pm

The rumour I heard was that the road layout had been redone & that scotway didn't necessarily have to move, but that the developers wanted to move it anyway. Not sure where I heard it, and info may now be out of date.
... they’re all made out of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same.
Bruce
First Stripe
First Stripe

It's about to be moved

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 07, 2006 5:02 pm

It looks as if they're ready to move Castlebank House. Anyone with a camera handy?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sun May 07, 2006 8:07 pm

I was in the building about ten years ago, when I had to see someone who was based there.

It was in a pretty bad way then, with warning signs up on some of the doors warning of unsafe floors, etc. There was a wee glass office/kiosk on the ground floor and one of the guys there told me that was where they used to issue the tickets for the folk who were emigrating on the ships leaving from Glasgow to America and Australia. He could have been spinning me a tale, but it was an interesting old building and I knew it had been a shipping office of some sort.

I always thought it would have been a good idea, given its (supposed) history, to have based a family/local history centre there, pulling together the various sources of info, such as parish records, BMD and valuation records for the tourists who wanted to trace their ancestors.

It would have been great alongside the old sheds (now, sadly gone), where we could have copied some U.S. cities and made them into cafes, shops and markets, linked to the city centre by a tram line.

If only.....
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby job78989 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:13 am

Perhaps a bit off topic about the building, but, here I go anyway. Scotway did own the building in the mid 70's I remember because some B*tch driving a big Feck off merc belonging to Scotway wiped me out in my Hillman Hunter on the Pollokshaws roundabout, being a stupid 17 yr old at the time I scrapped the car and let it drop. Should have sued the a*se off the B*tch.

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue May 09, 2006 9:25 am

Hey Brucey Boy love a good rumour. Any more.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Scotway House, Castlebank Street.

Postby Squigster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 pm

I've got a real soft spot for this building, for some reason it just captivates me - I know i'm sad

A few piccies

Sept 2006

Jan 2007

March 2007

May 2007

June 2007

Aug 2007

Oct 2007
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next