Student Documentary

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Student Documentary

Postby Sirdrawsalot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi there folks.
My name's Leigh and I am an HND student at Cumbernauld College. Currently I’m in the process of planning out for filming of abandoned and derelict builds across and around Glasgow. Many of you have the hobby of frequenting these abandoned builds and I’m very excited to converse with you about this as it will help me in the planning stages of my film.
But I have to ask for several things before I can film which I need in order to properly achieve the goals of my short documentary.

What I’ll need are experienced urban explorers who have been to many of the places I wish to visit and film with my small crew. The person would be hired as a safety guide to instruct us and keep us away and out of harm’s way while in the process of exploring.

The locations for onsite filming are
St Peter’s seminary (Cardross)
Botanical garden railway (Kelvinside)

I don’t need an expert who has frequented both buildings but one person for either is priority as to maintain adequate health and safety.

Another thing I may need are interviewees, people to discuss the topic of abandoned buildings and how they are seen/used by today’s culture and what they have to offer for us.
So if you feel like discussing rather than being a guide on the filming sites, that’s perfectly fine, even just chatter below and general discussion is encouraged as every little helps.
Thanks for your time.
Sirdrawsalot
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Student Documentary

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 pm

St.Peter's and the Botanics have been done to death.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Well that was a constructive addition to the thread. :roll:
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Does the world really, really need yet more documentaries on St Peter's or the Botanics railway?

I suppose they're the easiest ones to find info to plagiarise but, beyond that, ............?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

I think that the idea is a valid one tho I take the point that both sites have had heavy coverage. Mr Drawsalot the problem I think you will find is that lots of Urbexers would much rather hide behind their 'Hi Vis Vests of invisibility' than talk on camera about a potentially illlegal and secretive issue. Best of luck with the quest. Lots of info on both sites already exists on this Website so happy hunting.

Mr Sam

Edited for spelling
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:40 am

Whats the purpose / remit of the documentary?
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 am

I'd be happy (happier?) to see stuff about, for example, Gartnavel Royal, Woodilee, Lennox Castle, the biscuit factory on Stanley Street or - even better - someplace I'd never heard of.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:44 pm

I'd be happy to see an HND student make a film that they're happy with, and especially about a good subject. St Peter's and the Botanics Station are fascinating, and surely there's not some cut-off point for the number of people who are allowed to be interested, or if there's only a particular time period involved. If I'm wrong, then we should all reassess our interests, daddio.

Related, here's a side shot from a fashion shoot in St Peter's:

Slightly related, 2 out of my 5 visits there have had fashion shoots going on. Best of luck with your venture, Leigh.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Godsgift » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I'd be happy to see an HND student make a film that they're happy with, and especially about a good subject. St Peter's and the Botanics Station are fascinating, and surely there's not some cut-off point for the number of people who are allowed to be interested, or if there's only a particular time period involved. If I'm wrong, then we should all reassess our interests, daddio.

Related, here's a side shot from a fashion shoot in St Peter's:

Slightly related, 2 out of my 5 visits there have had fashion shoots going on. Best of luck with your venture, Leigh.

I'd be delighted to see this myself. Beeching was implemented so quickly, there was no chance to document Scottish Railway History which I believe to be important with our many locomotive and carriage workshops.

I think people who have been members of this site for years need to realise that some of us newer folk were not around during the original threads. if a thread doesn't appeal to you or bores you, may I suggest you don't join it. The negativity is of no help. OK rant over. :roll:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 am

Hello Leigh - Welcome to HG

Don't be put off by those that think this has been done to death. I didn't find out about Botanics etc until i joined this site and I'm old ::):
If you've been inspired by the Botanics etc to make a video - that's all you need plus you will be showing it to people that may not know anything about it.

There's loads of well informed and very helpful people here so come back :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:21 am

Yes, please ignore the grumpy old men :roll:
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am

Hello Leigh

Welcome

St Peter's never held much interest for me, but being a bit of an old fart train spotter type Botanic Station does.

Your probably up against it a little bit, so ignore the negativity. Its just so well known here, but to people outside the city it could be a fascinating topic.

Check the site index for starters for information

Use the search for
Botanic's station
tunnels
railways etc:

More info than you can shake a stick at and lots of other railways too

Dare I mention 'The Other Place' too.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Why don't you make them all happy and film a version of The 39 Steps where the Sub surfaces in the pond at the Botanics?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Why don't you make them all happy and film a version of The 39 Steps where the Sub surfaces in the pond at the Botanics?

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Listen to Born Too Late for Sunday Oldies with Felonious Munk .

Noon till Two on Sunny Govan radio 103.5 FM in Glasgow and online at
http://sunnygovanradio.com from 12:00 till 14:00 (GMT)

This week’s show has a look at teenage fashion including Bobby sox, peg pants, green jeans, knee socks black sacks and of course blue suede shoes and penny loafers.

Not sure which I'd prefer :roll:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Poverty and rickets beats poverty, rickets and segregation any day.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects