Project Updates: Woodilee Hospital / Asylum

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Project Updates: Woodilee Hospital / Asylum

Postby Sharon » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:11 pm

Woodilee Hospital / Barony Parochial Asylum

A collection of photographs shot in March 2003 and a timeline of the history of Woodilee.

If anyone has photos of the place taken before it was knocked down I would love to see them!

And can anyone can confirm WHEN it was demolished?

Sharon
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JayKay » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:08 pm

There's some more background on Woodilee Hospital (and Birdston, Broomhill, Lennox Castle, Lenzie and Waverly Park) at

http://strathkelvin.members.beeb.net/index.htm

It includes some archive pics of Woodilee, including:

JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby James Bell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:37 am

I really appreciate the data on Woodilee. One f my ancestors spent 27 years there and this info and picture will brin an added dimension. I see the sit is to be residential homes (900) built on land subject to mining subsidence......or am i misled?!!!!!!!!!.

On my next vist to the city i'll take a trip out just to see what is left and the job made of the area.

That is ... if I can find it's location??

Please .....some directions would be useful....

Thanks for the enligtenment...

Jimbo
James Bell
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 pm

James Bell wrote:On my next vist to the city i'll take a trip out just to see what is left and the job made of the area.

That is ... if I can find it's location??

Please .....some directions would be useful....

Thanks for the enligtenment...

Jimbo

See this map here:
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.t9n2 ... &encType=1

Look at the aerial view to get an idea of what remains too.

If you go along Garngaber road, at the traffic lights next to Lenzie station, you'll eventually come to a bend in the road where it becomes Woodilee Road, the Gatehouse is (was) on the bend and the entrance to the grounds.

I remember at school some of my dogdy classmates used to go the hospital to do some wilfull fire raising after it closed. I remember getting rather annoyed about them saying that they were lighting fires in the Church which looked very nice outside.

Chris
Last edited by Chris on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:24 pm

Chris wrote:
I remember at school some of my dogdy classmates used to go the hospital to do some wilfull fire rasing after it closed. I remember getting rather annoyed about them saying that they were lighting fires in the Church which looked very nice outside.

Chris

They now work for a Glasgow security company ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Project Updates: Woodilee Hospital / Asylum

Postby frankie c » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Spent some time in "the big hoose" initially was at woodcroft,the juvenile part of the hospital about a mile away from main building.Had to be removed to Woodilee on a couple of occasions which was a bit of a shock for my parents(i was 13) not for me tho ,suppose when your ill you dont notice the madness around you.Some of the patients had been there for donkeys years and i guess that woodilee was thier home and community.The staff were good there but im sure that after 19 months they were pleased to see the back of me.40 years on ive never been admitted to a hospital so they must have done thier job.
frankie c
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Afug » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 pm

My grandfather was Head Attendant at Woodilee in the 1920s and 30s and both my parents were nurses at the hospital in the late 1930s early 40s.
Afug
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby bod68 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:23 pm

I actually did my training in Woodilee and Stobhill. When I started in 1990, some of it had gone, some newer built bits were used with the older "Arches" out of commission.
I remember the land was sold of in 1993 following a government "White paper" to close the old style institutions for their "Care in the Community" Following that...as the place was still full of patients..The "Trust" as it was then, had to rent back the land from the buyers..at a considerable cost!

I believe some of the last wards to leave were the forensic wards; that moved temporarily to Leverndale in 2000 as they were building a new forensic clinic!....Well as we know..Rowanbank was finally opened in 2007 and some of the wards are still there in Leverndale as "Low secure" as Rowanbank was deemed TOO secure following the Millen Report on the new Mental Health Care & Treatment act (Scotland)2003 that stated patients should be nursed in the least restrictive environment.

Off topic a bit...but i know I have an old book somewhere on the history of Woodilee. Lots of nice old B&W pics.
If I find it....I'll post some Sharon :D
It wisnae me.....Ask emmdy !!
bod68
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects