Kate Cranston

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Kate Cranston

Postby KMas » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:25 am

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I am researching a definite family tie with Kate Cranston and looking to find out if anyone knows the year she was born?
Can anyone advise me about where to go to look up birth certificates? Would it be Martha St?

Thanks

Kmas
KMas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Kate Cranston

Postby thecatsmother » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:29 am

KMas wrote:Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I am researching a definite family tie with Kate Cranston and looking to find out if anyone knows the year she was born?
Can anyone advise me about where to go to look up birth certificates? Would it be Martha St?

Thanks

Kmas

1849, according to http://www.theglasgowstory.com/story.php?id=TGSDH03 and a few other sites I've seen.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:33 am

But 1850, according to others
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:08 am

If you wanted a birth certificate you could *probably* get one from Martha Street, but more likely from the Genealogy centre at Park Circus.

Strathclyde Area Genealogy Centre,
22 Park Circus,
Glasgow. G3 6BE
Tel. 0141-287 8364

Unfortunately if these dates are correct and she was born before 1855 there will be no birth certificate. Statutory registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths was not required before 1855. The best you could hope for would be Old Parish Registers. These are also held at Park Circus (they have a link to New Register House in Edinburgh) and at the Mitchell Library.
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:21 am

You could start with her death certificate and work back.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:57 pm

Kmas

Try here: http://www.whitecockade.co.uk/

This is a publishing company run by Perilla and Juillette Kinchin who are both Kate Cranston fans. Indeed they like her so much they have written three books on her and are the acknowledged experts.

Send them an e-mail via the contact bit. They are extremely helpful. I contacted them myself a couple of years ago as I discovered from their books that Miss Cranston had spent the final few years of her life living in a large main door tenement flat around the corner from me in Terregles Avenue opposite West Pollokshields Station.

I was hoping to get Glasgow City council to erect a plaque to her as they will only erect one on a private residence and Hous'hill has been destroyed and the North British Hotel doesn't qualify. Sad to say they didn't want to know. 'We don't do that in Glasgow' was the response. Interesting as there is one on my street and I am sure I've seen others. Wonder if they'd change their mind now we are 'Scotland with Style' an'all and the Mackintosh link is being done to death.

I have to say she was quite a lady

CC
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects