Hospitals & Asylums

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hospitals & Asylums

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm

The Egg Man wrote:....

Have we mentioned Redlands Hospital on this thread?

I had my eldest boy in Redlands in 1976.

Great pic 1870's

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSD00276

Now
http://g.co/maps/kcqds
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:51 pm

I have a key to Dumfries Royal Infirmary.

But I probably shouldn't tell you that....
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Guacho wrote:
RDR wrote:Philipshill, now an industrial estate, but the gatehouse was kept.
Rutherglen Maternity, only built in the late 60's, I think but didn't last very long, demolished.
Belvidere, now flats.
Darnley, has a BUPA nursing home built on the site.
ENT Hospital, St Vincent Street, office block built on the site.
Duke Street Hospital
Elder Cottage Hospital, across from the Southern and now housing.

Elder Cottage building in Drumoyne Drive is now a Nursing Home, I think. The one across from the Southern was the David Elder Infirmary

Thanks Guacho you are right I had my Elders confused! :)
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 pm

So I take it John Elder Hospital was the Elder Cottage hospital? Key to the nurses home across the road might have been more useful :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 am

Guacho wrote:So I take it John Elder Hospital was the Elder Cottage hospital? Key to the nurses home across the road might have been more useful :D

Guacho,
I'm not sure. When I was there in the late 70's the David Elder was used for Nurses residences as I knew a girl who lived in. It was an overspill from the main nurses home on the Southern site, which is the large building on the left of the main drive as you go in and is now management offices.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:52 am

The Egg Man wrote:I believe the old Beatson building at the western now houses some cardiology wards, some maternity facilities and the Medical Assessment Unit - that's where people who've reached the target time limit in A&E are sent.

Have we mentioned Redlands Hospital on this thread?

You're correct as to your lisitng of the specalities in the old Beatson building on the WIG site, I just didn't want to provide too much in the way of detail to the use of the old buildings in the original post.

Redlands I didn't mention as its one i didn't know to well but in my time it was the ambulance training school for a time. The training school moved about a bit but latterly was in Peebles and is now part of Caledonian University.

Another one I missed off the list was Cowglen, which was situated behind the National Savings Bank, latterly an elderly care facility and I think closed in the early 90's?

Not a hospital but next to it was the central stores for the ambulance service, now long closed but we could do a whole new thread on ambulance stations :)
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 am

RDR wrote:
Guacho wrote:So I take it John Elder Hospital was the Elder Cottage hospital? Key to the nurses home across the road might have been more useful :D

Guacho,
I'm not sure. When I was there in the late 70's the David Elder was used for Nurses residences as I knew a girl who lived in. It was an overspill from the main nurses home on the Southern site, which is the large building on the left of the main drive as you go in and is now management offices.

Not sure if it's the same building(s), but when I was training and the Woodilee was evacuated in 1987, one of the places wards were re-opened was the David Elder. "Fondly" referred to as "Fort Apache" by the folk sent to work there!

RDR, the C.P.N. Out of Hours is based at Cowglen somewhere, and has been since about 2001. Again, not sure what building/offices they use. Not much help I know - sorry.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:

Guacho,

Not sure if it's the same building(s), but when I was training and the Woodilee was evacuated in 1987, one of the places wards were re-opened was the David Elder. "Fondly" referred to as "Fort Apache" by the folk sent to work there!

RDR, the C.P.N. Out of Hours is based at Cowglen somewhere, and has been since about 2001. Again, not sure what building/offices they use. Not much help I know - sorry.

Box,
the Cowglen site was cleared, there is an out of hours (OOH) service site near there, which was originally used for GP OOH, but they all moved to Caledonia House, Cardonald, but it might well be that the CPN OOH still operates from the old base.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:17 pm

the John Elder Hospital was the Elder Cottage hospital ( http://www.sunnygovan.com/PLACES/AboutGovan.html )
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 pm

robertpool wrote:the John Elder Hospital was the Elder Cottage hospital ( http://www.sunnygovan.com/PLACES/AboutGovan.html )

Robert,
thanks for the confirmation and to add another one to the list, I didn't mention Shieldhall Fever Hospital, which was absorbed into the main Southern Site, but at one time was a completely separate hospital, latterly it was the Southern's geratric unit, until demolished and replaced with the Langlands building. It was interesting in that it was a series of pavillions and one of them had its own mortuary in the basement as due to the ID nature of the original patients, bodies weren't transfered down to the main Southern mortuary.
Made it a creepy place to work. :cry:
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:40 pm

RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:

Guacho,

Box,
the Cowglen site was cleared, there is an out of hours (OOH) service site near there, which was originally used for GP OOH, but they all moved to Caledonia House, Cardonald, but it might well be that the CPN OOH still operates from the old base.

Hmm, you've got me wondering now. I'll check it out tomorrow.

It also occurred to me there's at least one other North Glasgow hospital no-one seems to have mentioned; Foresthall, formerly the Barnhill Workhouse.

There are a couple of hundred houses there now, but I well remember the sight of the buildings there from my infrequent forays into the city as a boy. There is some info about it on Glasgow Guide *

*Hope that's not a "dirty word" here!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:

Guacho,

Box,

Hmm, you've got me wondering now. I'll check it out tomorrow.

It also occurred to me there's at least one other North Glasgow hospital no-one seems to have mentioned; Foresthall, formerly the Barnhill Workhouse.

There are a couple of hundred houses there now, but I well remember the sight of the buildings there from my infrequent forays into the city as a boy. There is some info about it on Glasgow Guide *

*Hope that's not a "dirty word" here!

I've heard of Foresthall and its listed in the NHSGGC archieves but its one site I never visited or knew anyone who worked there. Possibly before my time and I started in the early to mid 70's.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Speaking of closures; I was walking past the former Eye Infirmary earlier and it got me thinking about the list of hospitals at the back of my 1990 Glasgow A-Z Street Atlas.
All these are now gone in the past 25 years:

Belvidere, Birdston, Blawarthill, Broomhill, Canniesburn, Cowglen, Darnley, David Elder, Duke Street, Duntocher, Elder Cottage Hospital, Gartloch, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, Glasgow Royal Maternity, Knightswood, Lennox Castle, Lenzie, Mearnskirk, Philipshill, Royal Beatson Memorial, Royal Samaritan, Ruchill, Rutherglen Maternity, Stoneyetts, Waverly Park, Woodilee.

That's not even including the various health centres and mental health/substance abuse day clinics listed as well.
dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:18 pm

dazza wrote:Speaking of closures; I was walking past the former Eye Infirmary earlier and it got me thinking about the list of hospitals at the back of my 1990 Glasgow A-Z Street Atlas.
All these are now gone in the past 25 years:

Belvidere, Birdston, Blawarthill, Broomhill, Canniesburn, Cowglen, Darnley, David Elder, Duke Street, Duntocher, Elder Cottage Hospital, Gartloch, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, Glasgow Royal Maternity, Knightswood, Lennox Castle, Lenzie, Mearnskirk, Philipshill, Royal Beatson Memorial, Royal Samaritan, Ruchill, Rutherglen Maternity, Stoneyetts, Waverly Park, Woodilee.

That's not even including the various health centres and mental health/substance abuse day clinics listed as well.

Most of them have closed over the span of may career as well :(
Few are still in use or the sites are:
Eye Infirmary is now of course the Sandyford, Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinic
Mearnskirk Hospital Site, still has a small long stay unit on that site (how the HB got round selling off most of the land even though a trust deed restricted it to health use only), though its a new unit not in the original buildings.
Darnley Hospital Site has a private care home on it (though it did have HB funded beds at one time).

I think missing off the list is the Ear, Nose and Throat hospital in St Vincent Street, though I can't mind it's closure date. It had some great wall tiling.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 pm

1982, surprisingly according to the archives
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hosp ... asp?id=837
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects