Hospitals & Asylums

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hospitals & Asylums

Postby Josef » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Of the ones that haven't been mentioned so far:

Ailsa Hospital is still fully open and functional, and a charming wee place it is too.

I don't see Stracathro in Tayside on the list, although that's probably because it was largely a later 'hutted' development, a bit like Law Hospital. It does, though, have (or did, I haven't been there in a good ten years so it might be shut now) a very large mansion house attached, which was used as staff accomodation for a while. I'm told that said staff used to have sliding contests down the handrails of the impressive staircase.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Josef wrote:Of the ones that haven't been mentioned so far:

Ailsa Hospital is still fully open and functional, and a charming wee place it is too.

I don't see Stracathro in Tayside on the list, although that's probably because it was largely a later 'hutted' development, a bit like Law Hospital. It does, though, have (or did, I haven't been there in a good ten years so it might be shut now) a very large mansion house attached, which was used as staff accomodation for a while. I'm told that said staff used to have sliding contests down the handrails of the impressive staircase.

I'm up in Tayside tomorrow at Ninewells and I'll ask about Stracathro.
If I'm right Law, Bangour General (not Village) and Stracthro were all built to the same design as emergency war hospitals as dispersed huts to minimise bomb damage. Law for many years still had the old bomb shelters on the end of the ward blocks.
The back end of Mearnskirk Hospital was the same with hutted accomodation, though I think it was actually for naval personnel.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm

In a similar way to RDR's point about "dispersal huts", a number of wards in Woodilee were built in or around WW2 (I think) as temporary structures, to last no more than about 15 years, so I was told.

That they were still there when the hospital closed is a testament to ………… well, something! Not sure quite what, mind!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm

RDR wrote: .......................
If I'm right Law, Bangour General (not Village) and Stracthro were all built to the same design as emergency war hospitals as dispersed huts to minimise bomb damage. Law for many years still had the old bomb shelters on the end of the ward blocks.
The back end of Mearnskirk Hospital was the same with hutted accomodation, though I think it was actually for naval personnel.

Killearn Hospital would also fit that physical description.

http://killearnontheweb.co.uk/about-kil ... -hospital/ + check out the flickr pics.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vintagebuff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Stracathro hospital is open and expanding. A new wing has just been built and should be in the last build stage if not already completed.
Vintagebuff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Vintagebuff wrote:Stracathro hospital is open and expanding. A new wing has just been built and should be in the last build stage if not already completed.

It was completed last year. The old EMS buildings have been replaced by a new hospital to supercede the mental health facilities at Sunnyside.
dazza
-
-

Postby edward carolan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 am

While searching for info on Glasgow Royal Lunatic Asylum, located north of Parliamentary Road, I found this
http://studymore.org.uk/4asylums.htm#Scotland
Hope it is of some use.
Any information about GRLA other than the pair of photographs in Virtual Mitchell out there?
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 am

Any chance the Ronald Laing mentioned in "About 1953 to 1956 Ronald Laing working at the hospital and and teaching in the Department of Psychological Medicine at Glasgow University" is R D Laing?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:13 am

Yes
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:09 am

One outstanding feature of the Crichton is the condition it's been kept in. The atrium have been well looked after, though it must be a nightmare to paint all that wrought iron. Many of the original features have been kept, though I presume that will be due to it being a listed building?
I know that when they wanted to convert part of it, that was used as residences, the lisiting made it prohibitivley expensive to do any of the work.

As an aside there doesn't seem to have been much of an appetite to convert old hospital buildings. Mainly they get demolished or left to rot. Couple of exceptions to that rule are the Royal Samartian Hospital for Women on Butterbiggins Road which was converted into flats, though, personally, I don't like it much. The main admin buildings, gatehouse and medical superintendants house at Mearnskirk were all kept and converted into businesses or dwellings.

Further afield, the old Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh was converted to flats and it quite strange seeing the old ward balconeys still in place but now part of a flat.

Others that have disappeared, in the Glasgow area (or at least part of the old GGHB):
Philipshill, now an industrial estate, but the gatehouse was kept.
Rutherglen Maternity, only built in the late 60's, I think but didn't last very long, demolished.
Belvidere, now flats.
Darnley, has a BUPA nursing home built on the site.
ENT Hospital, St Vincent Street, office block built on the site.
Duke Street Hospital
Elder Cottage Hospital, across from the Southern and now housing.

I've probably missed a few of that list, but an awful lot of hospitals have disappeared in the last 30 years.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am

I should add to that list the Beatson.
Although its still there, in its new building at Gartnavel, it has moved a couple of times.
Originally the Glasgow Cancer Hospital in Garnethill, it was renamed the Beatson before it moved to the Western site. That building is still in use at the Western but not as an Oncology unit.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:24 pm

I believe the old Beatson building at the western now houses some cardiology wards, some maternity facilities and the Medical Assessment Unit - that's where people who've reached the target time limit in A&E are sent.

Have we mentioned Redlands Hospital on this thread?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm

RDR wrote:Philipshill, now an industrial estate, but the gatehouse was kept.
Rutherglen Maternity, only built in the late 60's, I think but didn't last very long, demolished.
Belvidere, now flats.
Darnley, has a BUPA nursing home built on the site.
ENT Hospital, St Vincent Street, office block built on the site.
Duke Street Hospital
Elder Cottage Hospital, across from the Southern and now housing.

Elder Cottage building in Drumoyne Drive is now a Nursing Home, I think. The one across from the Southern was the David Elder Infirmary
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:53 pm

I have the key to the John Elder Hospital in my collection:

1902 John Elder Hospital, Govan, Glasgow
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm