Hospitals & Asylums

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Old Glasgow Hospitals

Postby tinbasher » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 pm

I was in the Victoria Infirmary in 1966 getting my tonsils out. For some reason I was in the mens adult ward and vividly remember watching the world cup with the older men. I must have been 12.

I often wondered how hard it was to decide who to support, the Engish (Auld enemy) or Germany (recent enemy) :?
tinbasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Big A wrote:
RDR wrote:
Big A wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
dazzababes wrote: Lightburn Hospital
Open

Alas, not for much longer.

Should be open for at least another year or two :wink:

I suspect not :(

I work for NHS GG&C and have been told otherwise, as I recently carried out survey work there and some money will be spent on it :wink:

I too work for GGC. Day hospital and out patients are being moved out and inpatients are being moved to Stobhill. Whether the actual buildings are being utilised for something else, I don't know.

A very poor decision for the people of the east end of Glasgow.

Agreed. The other poster is sadly wrong. Once the sham consultation is over it will close.
All part of the Health Boards plan to have nothing but two super sized hospitals in Glasgow, and they don't care if you can't get to either of them.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Once the sham consultation is over it will close.
All part of the Health Boards plan to have nothing but two super sized hospitals in Glasgow, and they don't care if you can't get to either of them.

Nothing but? Are you sure about that.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Once the sham consultation is over it will close.

Nothing but? Are you sure about that.

As acute receiving hospitals, then, yes.
Gartnavel General will remain, but with no A&E.
The Western will be gone 2015.
Stobhill (most of it demolished) and the Victoria will be glorified outpatient clinics.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 pm

So we either have staff thinly spread across several hospitals or we realise we've radically altered receiving practice through paramedics and having enough staff at well equipped hospitals.

But then again if you're worried about losing a facility use it.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:So we either have staff thinly spread across several hospitals or we realise we've radically altered receiving practice through paramedics and having enough staff at well equipped hospitals.

Lightburn runs at over 97% capacity

It costs half a million a year to run it, with GGHB owning the land and buildings.

However, the new stobhill costs over 1.5 million to lease, a year.

Nothing to do with using a facility, all about some political dogma.

As for staff spread thinly, you really think that staff will be kept on in the new "super hospital"? Dream on. They want nurse practitioners running the wards with less doctor with auxiliary nurses taking bloods.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:So we either have staff thinly spread across several hospitals or we realise we've radically altered receiving practice through paramedics and having enough staff at well equipped hospitals.

Lightburn runs at over 97% capacity

It costs half a million a year to run it, with GGHB owning the land and buildings.

However, the new stobhill costs over 1.5 million to lease, a year.

Nothing to do with using a facility, all about some political dogma.

As for staff spread thinly, you really think that staff will be kept on in the new "super hospital"? Dream on. They want nurse practitioners running the wards with less doctor with auxiliary nurses taking bloods.

aye And if anyone thinks there's going to be "Loads of New Jobs" forget it.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:08 pm

RP6 comes to mind.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Lightburn's been given a reprieve until after the Scottish elections next year.

Then it'll be Labour's problem.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Lightburn's been given a reprieve until after the Scottish elections next year.

Then it'll be Labour's problem.

A massive response to the consultation with over 10,000 protests, which apparently has taken the powers that be, by surprise, that there is such strength of feeling over such a wee hospital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:53 am

And in ten years time when the GRI site isnt big enough any more, a new build 'North glasgow Hospital' on stobhill Site to mirror the southern?

after all Stobhill site cant be sold for housing apparently, hence the proposed move of Parkhead hospital to that site with Parkhead sold on....

Could mean that all the acute Psychiatric and Medical services for the North & east of the city on one site - almost too logical!

and when we stopped dreaming....
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:39 pm

dave2 wrote:And in ten years time when the GRI site isnt big enough any more, a new build 'North glasgow Hospital' on stobhill Site to mirror the southern?

after all Stobhill site cant be sold for housing apparently, hence the proposed move of Parkhead hospital to that site with Parkhead sold on....

Could mean that all the acute Psychiatric and Medical services for the North & east of the city on one site - almost too logical!

I wonder if GRI site is big enough now, far less in 10 years time!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
dave2 wrote:And in ten years time when the GRI site isnt big enough any more, a new build 'North glasgow Hospital' on stobhill Site to mirror the southern?

The old hospital is being left to rot by the powers that be.

As for a move to Stobhil for all psych amd medical services in the North, not logical at all. Public transport to the area is woeful hence the decision to keep Lightburn open.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:

The old hospital is being left to rot by the powers that be.

As for a move to Stobhil for all psych amd medical services in the North, not logical at all. Public transport to the area is woeful hence the decision to keep Lightburn open.

Most, if not all, in-patient beds for psychiatric patients are in the North of the city already, specifically within Stobhill. In-patient beds in Parkhead are virtually gone, and will be so by the end of the year I think.

When I started 25 years ago, Woodilee was still open (1500+ beds) and so was Lennox Castle (2200 beds, a fair proportion of which were psych beds I believe). McKinnon House in Stobhill by comparison has ……. 76. And that includes 16 Intensive Care beds and 6 Eating Disorder beds.

For the whole North of Glasgow.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hospitals & Asylums

Postby robertpool » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:37 pm

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects