Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:47 am

In the light of day? Girls day oot. :roll: ............ ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Project Updates: Gartloch Hospital / Asylum

Postby Div » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi, I hope nobody minds my bumping an old post.

I found this when I was doing some research on the Gartloch Village development. The wife and I were out looking at their showhomes for the latest phase (St Clement). I can appreciate the new builds aren't to everyone's taste, but for what it's worth, we thought the build quality and finish was a cut above most things we've seen recently - and we must have seen 20 showhomes in the last two months or so.

The layout of the area, and the architecture of the old hospital is definitely a lot more interesting than the other places we've looked at.

However, I was a bit concerned about the comment on this thread about the new builds subsidising the renovation of the hospital. The remaining hospital buildings look like they need a LOT of money spent on them, and in a slowing property market I can't imagine the new builds will be flying off the shelves.

Does anyone know what the projected timescales are for completion of the entire development? We've got a toddler and another child due soon, so I wouldn't fancy living in a construction side for an indeterminate period of time.
Div
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:44 pm

My boss's brother is building houses up there, I believe. harkins is his name, dunno the name of his Company.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Div » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:My boss's brother is building houses up there, I believe. harkins is his name, dunno the name of his Company.

Can he get me a staff discount? :)
Div
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 am

What do you wanna buy a staff for?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Gartloch Hospital

Postby Alexia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi! I've subscribed to this forum because I'm coming soon to Glasgow and I would like to see an other side of the town, the old heritage. I love old buildings and I ve seen picture of the Gartloch Hospital. But that are old pictures and I would like to know if the hospital still exist or if it s demolished, or renovated? Is it still possible to visit it or is it some security in the area? Do you know other similar places? If you come to Berlin, don t hesitate to ask me, I know a lot of beautiful old places, but here is the same like everywhere, old buildings disappear for luxus flats and office building...Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and sorry for my bad english!
Alexia
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Gartloch Hospital

Postby Dugald » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 pm

Hello Alexia, and welcome to Hidden Glasgow. I'm sure you will find HG interesting and entertaining. There are many interesting places in and around Glasgow, and if you spend some time surfing through the HG Forum you will see many pictures and read many articles about this other side of Glasgow, as you call it. I am from Glasgow, but haven't been a resident there for quite some time and consequently, not able to inform you whether or not the Gartloch Hospital has been demolished. I'm sure there are many suscribers to HG who would be only too pleased to answer this question for you. I hope you find your stay in Glasgow rewarding, and good luck with your search! Dugald.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:44 pm

Hello Alexia. There's a housing development going on at Gartloch - info >here<. It's kind of weird as new homes have been developed in the old buildings alongside new build, while the main building in the centre is still derelict. It was windy, silent and cold when I was out there.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby dave2 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:34 am

My Kitten wrote:http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1497246.0.0.php

A FORMER Glasgow mortuary is be given a new lease of life as a pub.

But drinkers are being promised the atmosphere will be far from dead when the ex-hospital facility is transformed into a bar and restaurant.

Entrepreneur Jay Shields hopes to cash in on the site's spooky past by reviving the building later this year.

The morgue was part of the old Gartloch Hospital, near Easterhouse, and stored the corpses of patients who died on the psychiatric wards.
advertisement

The hospital, which once cared for more than 550 patients, closed in 1996 and the land is being turned into a housing development, called Gartloch Village, with more than 600 homes surrounding Bishop Loch.

Work on the bar-restaurant, in the middle of the site, is scheduled to start in August, if councillors renew planning permission for the venture.

Mr Shields, who also runs a CCTV security firm, said: "We have been wanting to do this for a number of years, so I guess you could say we have resurrected the idea.

"The morgue had two fridges in it and stored the bodies of patients who died suddenly.

"I was attracted to the building because of its unusual history. I don't think it will put people off.

"We are looking to come up with a name to exploit its past, and are open to suggestions."

A conservatory will be added to the back of the old morgue, under plans submitted to Glasgow City Council.

The bar-restaurant aims to open by Christmas.

Councillors originally granted permission for the venture in 2001, but the project was put on hold until the first houses were completed.

The psychiatric hospital opened its doors in 1896 after the City of Glasgow bought the Gartloch Estate for £8600. Patients were housed in four villas linked by corridors.

It was used as an asylum for the city's poor and also acted as a tuberculosis sanitorium during the early 1900s.

Anyone know if this pub restaurant is actually open yet?
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alexia » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:52 am

Thank you for the answers :) I was sure somebody will say that I have to search...If I would have the time, I would do it, but I think communication is a good way too to learn things! And as I said, it s not a one way-process! If you come to Berlin I can do the same for you :)
Alexia
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects