Drumchapel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Drumchapel

Postby Giffer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Does anyone have or know where to get an un-edited copy of a twenty minute video about Drumchapel named Drumchapel The Frustration Game...Thanks :D
Giffer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Drumchapel

Postby robertpool » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:13 am

I downloaded a copy some time ago, here is the link

http://www.archive.org/details/Drumchap ... rationGame
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 am

Robert, thanks for that link.

My family moved into theDrum (Airgold Drive) in 1955 and I spent the next five years living in what I thought was a paradise, albeit a paradise without the necessary services (I now realise) to make he scheme totally self-sufficient.

After watching your link, I am glad that my parents made their decision, at the end of 1960, to seek out a new life for us in Australia. Whilst the downturn in theDrum probably didn't happen until the eighties, and while everything did has not gone exactly to plan in Australia, that new life probably took me out of a situation I could never have coped with.

TheDrum in the late fifties was was an escape from the post-war slums of Central Glasgow for many but it is so sad to see that it eventually became a slum in itself. I think fondly now of my friends in theDrum and what has become of them, especially those who attended St Sixtus' School with me, and hope that many of them may still be in good health.

I guess I'll never know about that, but thank you Robert for connecting me to what happened to a place I'll always have very fond memories of !

Tombro :(
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:52 pm

no problem
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:26 pm

tombro wrote:Robert, thanks for that link.

My family moved into theDrum (Airgold Drive) in 1955 and I spent the next five years living in what I thought was a paradise, albeit a paradise without the necessary services (I now realise) to make he scheme totally self-sufficient.

After watching your link, I am glad that my parents made their decision, at the end of 1960, to seek out a new life for us in Australia. Whilst the downturn in theDrum probably didn't happen until the eighties, and while everything did has not gone exactly to plan in Australia, that new life probably took me out of a situation I could never have coped with.

TheDrum in the late fifties was was an escape from the post-war slums of Central Glasgow for many but it is so sad to see that it eventually became a slum in itself. I think fondly now of my friends in theDrum and what has become of them, especially those who attended St Sixtus' School with me, and hope that many of them may still be in good health.

I guess I'll never know about that, but thank you Robert for connecting me to what happened to a place I'll always have very fond memories of !

Tombro :(

same as that Tombro except my family moved back to where they felt more at home - Possil - yours was probably a better move ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:17 am

Bridie,

Funny thing is that my family moved from Possil (25 Fruin Street) to theDrum ! How's that for coincidence ?

Tombro :roll:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 pm

tombro wrote:Bridie,

Funny thing is that my family moved from Possil (25 Fruin Street) to theDrum ! How's that for coincidence ?

Tombro :roll:

Granny missed Saracen X the shops all the gossip and a quick hop on the No 47 or 28 into town :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Has this been posted.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:22 pm

That's one l've not seen before. Someone should go back and do it again to see the difference.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Has this been posted.

Has now :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Were there really only a couple of small shops and one bus when it was built?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:09 pm

There were the mobile shops. Alexanders 105 and 154 buses to Renfrew Street.The 154 was every half hour direct from the white church.The video makes you realise how much money was wasted doing up houses which were demolished only a few years later. Remember Camus Place School? Forgot to build enough schools so converted a new build tenement into a school. Then bussing kids to St Gerards in Govan.A friend ended up at school in Bellahouston. Garnethill was another I recall.What was the most bizarre/outlandish school Drumchapel kids were sent to in the early 1950s? Corporation planning? I was once told by a old Glasgow councilor now long departed that the model of the tenemental style with verandahs used in Drumchapel was takenn from social housing erected in Bergan Norway in the 1930s.Years ago in Bergan saw some of these houses. Except they had nice back and front gardens and looked really well cared for.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Bergen. Depends on the tenants.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Coming from a room and kitchen an outside toilet and bomb shelters in the back the new houses were brilliant. The walk to the bus terminal (took them six months to move it) Schools that were too small for their intake even when filled with classes of 50 weans meant Primary six and seven kids were bussed. No shops , a couple of churches and no community facilities. A well reasoned argument against pubs on council property meant buses to any entertainment and a reluctance to come home from your work if you popped into bar.

one could go on but East Kilbride , Cumbernauld became a lot more attractive and accessible which of course was the thinking of the Scottish office.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 pm

The above response this time written by a reporter.

You wouldn’t be blamed for asking how being housed in a high-rise flat could have such a positive impact on someone’s life.

But Jack Daley, who was just seven when he and his parents were some of the first tenants to be given the keys to their flat in the tower in 1964, explains how the move from a tenement in Cambuslang changed his life.

Jack, now 55, said: “The family moved to Motherwell because my father got a job at Ravens-craig and getting our own council flat in the Glencairn Tower somehow catapulted us out of the conditions we were in and made us relevant.

“Suddenly we felt part of this modern, changing world. We had our own bathroom, emulsioned walls and a two-bar fire.

“From our verandah on the seventh floor we had the most amazing view.

“It was like looking out at a picture every day.

“I think a lot of people, especially the older people, felt any opportunities they had in life had passed them by.

“But when they moved into the tower, it changed everything for the better.

“Until then, we had been living in rented tenement flats owned by private landlords.

“We didn’t have our own toilet, the place was damp and although my mother kept it beautiful it just wasn’t a nice place to live.

“Living in the tenement before we moved to Motherwell, I remember in the winter my dad having to start a fire to unblock the frozen toilet in the close.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/it-s-the-end-of-the-storey-1.1135343?54561
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects