Where is/was Egypt?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Little Egypt

Postby dry boak » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:36 am

escotregen wrote:Seamey, The place your thinking of is 'Little Egypt' in Tollcross. It's located in the area just behind Wellshot and Tollcross Roads. It was originally a farm in Victorian/Edwardian times and was managed by an ex soldier who had done service in Egypt; hence the name. Tollcross is a fascinating area of under appreciated history. Right up until the early 20th century it was an affluent small-borough-type place. The lower middle and middle classes employed in the great industries of East Glasgow and Lanarkshire lived there. The poorer working classes were more likely to end up in nearby settlements such as Parkhead and Shettleston. Consequently there were many houses and public buildings of some substance. Many of the houses remain in strets such as Drumover Drive, but unfortunatly long past their greatness.

There's a couple of nice photos here of the farm. Not convinced the style of dress makes it c1950 though.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/search.p ... CTollcross

My old man was always of the opinion that the "Little Egypt" was a bit of black humour. There were more than a few sand pits in the area (you can see a couple at the bottom right of the map above) and presumably there was a related explanation for the name Sandyhills.

The Fullarton Park Hotel on Tollcross Rd was also previously the Sandmyle Hotel.
dry boak
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Where is/was Egypt?

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I know I've dredged this thread up from the distant past - but as I originate from this area - fascinating history - it certainly explains those rather more upmarket houses on the far west of Ardgay St and on Easdale Drive etc.. Thanks to those current/past HG members for their insights.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects