BLOCK Architecture Festival - The HG submission

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:28 pm

Well I would like all the text to be WRITTEN up by the start of next week...which will be pushing it. But that woill only leave ONE week to do the design and layout, which isnae very long. So we are talking ASAP...with a wee hint of a desperate pleading sound!

So all suggestions are welcome...written up entires are positively worshipped!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:05 pm

Sharon wrote:Well I would like all the text to be WRITTEN up by the start of next week...which will be pushing it. But that woill only leave ONE week to do the design and layout, which isnae very long. So we are talking ASAP...with a wee hint of a desperate pleading sound!

So all suggestions are welcome...written up entires are positively worshipped!

In that case I'll give you, what, 500 words or so? on the British Linen Bank in Queen Street by tonight.

Thank god for Wishaw Library and their copy of "The City That Disappeared".......which I might just keep on a permanent always-renewing it loan.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Actually...you needent even work so hard! Around maybe 100-200 words would probaly be enough!

Cheers!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:15 pm

Sharon wrote:Actually...you needent even work so hard! Around maybe 100-200 words would probaly be enough!

Cheers!

Should be no bother then.

Are we doing building interiors? Because you could do the St Andrews Hall/Mitchell Library as well.

Bugger it, I'll see what I can get rattled off tonight and send it on. It's been five years since I worked to a deadline, the old magic's still there somewhere.

Now, all I need is a bloke called Paul to re-write it entirely without telling me....oh wait, no-one here will get that. Damn.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:07 pm

First go....

"Built in about 1839, the British Linen Bank was the work of David Hamilton, who in fact designed buildings for the Union, Western and Clydesdale Banks also. Like the British Linen Bank on Queen Street, these are also long gone.

The original building was three stories high, plus a basement, with the entrance in the curved corner feature. The original design had a corner dome, plus statues placed along the balustrade, but with the cost of the building having reached £30,000 it was presumably thought the cost had risen too much already.

In 1903 a two-story addition was built on top to increase office space, and this was considered to have ruined the appearance of the building. And sixty-five years later, it was decided that, as this was the Glasgow Chief Office of the British Linen Bank, it was too old fashioned and it was demolished and replaced by the monstrosity which still stand today.

Ironically, as a customer-serving bank, The British Linen Bank no longer exists either, having been absorbed by the Bank of Scotland.."

I have pics of the building as it was originally and with the two-story addition, but photobucket appears to have taken an eppy. So I'll post them later.

"Taken an eppy". It's been years since I said that...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:05 pm

Right, this will probably be the my last submission I'm afraid, due to pressures of real work & being away from Weds.

Anyway, thought I'd try something a bit more general that covers a bit more space but not in much detail, rather than focussing on one thing in particular. It may or may not be useful depending on the eventual route selected!

Gordon

If we had something about the Grand Hotel Charing Cross / Motorway devastation at Charing cross ??

then

Walking round towards the rear of Charing Cross Mansions, we come to Renfrew Street. Walking up Renfrew Street, look to your right, and spot the old F. W. Woolworths sign painted on the wall. Look down from this, and note the intriguing worded sign about 'Everything in window glass' !
Just up from this, and on the cornice of a building marked out by the remains of two cast iron lampposts, is a large bust of Beethoven. This marked the back door of famous music shop Hepburn and Ross.
Just beyond this, also on the right, is the high peaked roof of a building dear to generations of Glaswegians - the auditorium of what was originally the Charing Cross Electric Theatre (Glasgow's first purpose built cinema), later and better known as the Locarno Ballroom.
Carrying on up the hill we pass the 1930s frontage of the original part of the Glasgow Dental Hospital - now relegated to being a back door! Passing under the fetching 1960s building extending across the road, we turn down into Scott Street. Look to your left at the back of the Sports Bar, where a red brick archway is visible, partially covered by another part of the building. This is part of the oldest part of this complex building, dating from when it was used as an ice-skating rink, before later becoming Henglers Circus (complete with high wire acts and elephants), and was eventually extended and rebuilt in the 1930s as the ABC Regal cinema.

From here we rejoin Sauchiehall Street, and [....wander somewhere else....???]
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:00 am

THE LANES

Sauchiehall Lane
Bath Lane
West Regent Lane
West George Lane
St Vincent Lane
St Peters Lane / Bothwell Lane
Wellington Lane
(Robertson Lane)
(St Mary’s Lane)

Running parallel (literally and metaphorically) to the commercial overkill of the main thoroughfares the lanes provide a grimy, smoke-blackened antidote to their rampant consumerism. They seem to embody the dark, chaotic aspects of this city. Many of Glasgow’s inhabitants have bleary memories of stumbling into these places to fuck or to vomit (or both). I’ve had sex at least twice in the lanes, nothing too romantic just drunk, horny fucking and groping up against a graffiti-stained doorway. How many people have made love here? Been beaten to death here? A magnet for the desperate and the damaged, these roughly cobbled alley’s are the flipside to our consumer friendly metropolis. If, like me, you take pleasure in the hum of the extractor fan coalescing with the smell of frying food, mixed up with the clangour of the restaurant trade then the lanes are worth a visit. Just keep a weather eye out for those urban jackals.

A bit of judicious editing and it will be fine!
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:28 am

Great stuff, so now its time to review what we have gathered up, and see if we have enough to do this with!!

Jim, Ronnie... when are you boys free?

S
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:33 am

jim wrote:THE LANES

I’ve had sex at least twice in the lanes, nothing too romantic just drunk, horny fucking and groping up against a graffiti-stained doorway. !

Jim wins quote of the week I think :D

PS: Do you care to elaborate Jim :?: we're all ears ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:38 am

Actually G do you have any stuff to contribute to this???

Not the back alley shagging!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:39 am

Sharon do you need anything..in the picture department?

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:50 am

Sharon wrote:Actually G do you have any stuff to contribute to this???

Not the back alley shagging!

Err' I was kinda letting you guy's do all the work :oops: but I had thought of something along the lines of the Granary to Glasgow Harbour /Clydeside regen.
It's not even at the draft stage though.

I'd be up for shagging in the Alley mind you !maybe even a few TASCHEN style photos for illustration purposes :twisted:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:53 am

There probaly will be a need to raid the Fossil image archive!

Actually Fossy do you have any buildings you'd like to add???

And, Jim, that is a great piece of colourful writing. Which I am quite quite sure is bringing back many memories for folks! 8O
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:07 pm

What else do you need to know?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:09 pm

jim wrote:What else do you need to know?

Position/technique for starters :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects