Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 pm

panthro wrote:I work at the GRI and I have it on good authority that there will be at least three extra general medical wards opening here soon to account for the loss of beds and patient flows when the new Sufferin' fully opens. Of course, not all singing and dancing single rooms with 'mood' lighting and electro-opaque walls but cramped, dingy open-plan Nightingale wards. I was speaking to a charge nurse recently from the WIG who says that the new SGH receiving complex will be in excess of 120 beds. I ask my patients from the Western's catchment which would they go to as a ED attender and a sizeable number say the GRI as others have mentioned. It will be interesting to see if there plans come to fruition Of course, patient flows have never been a strong point of health boards. The soon-to-be new satellite radiotherapy centre at Monklands Hospital in Airdrie expects folk from Castlemilk will accept going to Monklands for their treatment!

Off topic, but when are we at the Royal getting a new hospital? Wasn't the byline "21st Century Health Care in 19th Century Buildings" over-used when planning the new Sufferin'? Techically the Royal is 20th Century - is that how the health board get away with it? We're all fed up hearing about how wonderful the SGH will be. Couldn't they build a new more condensed Royal on the old Cattle Market with direct access to Bellgrove Station? Some compulsory purchases (car auction place) and the car parks could be built on Melbourne/Sydney St area?


Good post. GRI is the hospital of choice simply because of transport links with the west. The new SGH will, in 5 years, become part private. GRI old building at the moment is infested with fleas.
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby RapidAssistant » Sat May 03, 2014 8:12 am

Fat Cat wrote:
panthro wrote:I work at the GRI and I have it on good authority that there will be at least three extra general medical wards opening here soon to account for the loss of beds and patient flows when the new Sufferin' fully opens. Of course, not all singing and dancing single rooms with 'mood' lighting and electro-opaque walls but cramped, dingy open-plan Nightingale wards. I was speaking to a charge nurse recently from the WIG who says that the new SGH receiving complex will be in excess of 120 beds. I ask my patients from the Western's catchment which would they go to as a ED attender and a sizeable number say the GRI as others have mentioned. It will be interesting to see if there plans come to fruition Of course, patient flows have never been a strong point of health boards. The soon-to-be new satellite radiotherapy centre at Monklands Hospital in Airdrie expects folk from Castlemilk will accept going to Monklands for their treatment!

Off topic, but when are we at the Royal getting a new hospital? Wasn't the byline "21st Century Health Care in 19th Century Buildings" over-used when planning the new Sufferin'? Techically the Royal is 20th Century - is that how the health board get away with it? We're all fed up hearing about how wonderful the SGH will be. Couldn't they build a new more condensed Royal on the old Cattle Market with direct access to Bellgrove Station? Some compulsory purchases (car auction place) and the car parks could be built on Melbourne/Sydney St area?


Good post. GRI is the hospital of choice simply because of transport links with the west. The new SGH will, in 5 years, become part private. GRI old building at the moment is infested with fleas.


To my eyes, the Old Building of GRI isn't fit for purpose anymore. Wasn't the plan in the 1970s to build more blocks on the Queen Elizabeth Building's podium (2 spaces on it are still empty, if you look at an aerial photo), so they could then progressively get rid of the old buildings?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Guacho » Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 pm

The Clyde heliport relocated to Linthouse this week. Adjacent to Thales, on the empty ground that used to be part of the old Stephens yard.
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby RDR » Mon May 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Image of the helipad at the new Southern Build

Image

Ariel view showing Helipad and progress.

Image

Progress with the Teaching & Learning centre

Image

This one shows the Office Block, which is being built directly behind the Learning & Education Centre

Image
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Guacho » Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 pm

I think I'll avoid the helipad. The admin building looks as though it will suit me better :oops:
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Alycidon » Tue May 27, 2014 6:33 am

Great photographs, you really get the sense of scale with that one from above. The place is bloody huge!!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
User avatar
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Eaglesham

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby RDR » Tue May 27, 2014 6:38 am

Alycidon wrote:Great photographs, you really get the sense of scale with that one from above. The place is bloody huge!!


It needs to be huge, as the entire site will eventually have approx. 10,000 staff on it. To put that in perspective Motherwell has a population of 8,000. So its the size of a small town.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby HappyGlasgowGuy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:22 pm

I happen to work down at the Southern in the lab block, and can confirm that it stinks something rotten down there. If you go a full week without having to deal with the sewage works then it's heaven.

The parking issue is a total nightmare just now, and the proposed additional bus routes (especially for those north of the Clyde) just aren't happening. To put things into perspective, I live 4 miles from the hospital, right through the tunnel. We've all been told that we shouldn't be driving to work and instead get buses. Now, this 4 mile drive takes me around twenty minutes in busy traffic and yet to use buses, I'd need to get one into the bus station and then one back out, making the journey time (including the times waiting for buses) nearer the 1 hour 45 minute mark.

They've messed up big time with this one, there was no need to build such a massive hospital. If only they had invested a lot of that money into targeting areas with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow and aiding them rather than building a super hospital.
HappyGlasgowGuy
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Fat Cat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:53 pm

HappyGlasgowGuy wrote:I happen to work down at the Southern in the lab block, and can confirm that it stinks something rotten down there. If you go a full week without having to deal with the sewage works then it's heaven.

The parking issue is a total nightmare just now, and the proposed additional bus routes (especially for those north of the Clyde) just aren't happening. To put things into perspective, I live 4 miles from the hospital, right through the tunnel. We've all been told that we shouldn't be driving to work and instead get buses. Now, this 4 mile drive takes me around twenty minutes in busy traffic and yet to use buses, I'd need to get one into the bus station and then one back out, making the journey time (including the times waiting for buses) nearer the 1 hour 45 minute mark.

They've messed up big time with this one, there was no need to build such a massive hospital. If only they had invested a lot of that money into targeting areas with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow and aiding them rather than building a super hospital.


I totally agree with this. A monumental cock up.
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Josef » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:54 pm

RDR wrote:It needs to be huge, as the entire site will eventually have approx. 10,000 staff on it. To put that in perspective Motherwell has a population of 8,000. So its the size of a small town.


That's surely complete nonsense. Motherwell? 8,000 population? I've been to games at Fir Park where there were more than three times that many folk, and I doubt that -as per the evil twins - they are drawing support from areas without the faintest geographical connection.

HappyGlasgowGuy wrote:I happen to work down at the Southern in the lab block, and can confirm that it stinks something rotten down there. If you go a full week without having to deal with the sewage works then it's heaven.

The parking issue is a total nightmare just now, and the proposed additional bus routes (especially for those north of the Clyde) just aren't happening. To put things into perspective, I live 4 miles from the hospital, right through the tunnel. We've all been told that we shouldn't be driving to work and instead get buses. Now, this 4 mile drive takes me around twenty minutes in busy traffic and yet to use buses, I'd need to get one into the bus station and then one back out, making the journey time (including the times waiting for buses) nearer the 1 hour 45 minute mark.

They've messed up big time with this one, there was no need to build such a massive hospital. If only they had invested a lot of that money into targeting areas with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow and aiding them rather than building a super hospital.


1. It's a truism that you can never have enough parking spaces. I do agree that the transport to the SG- and to anywhere in the region of Govan generally - is appallingly convoluted. Nothing 'goes via'. Everything starts or terminates at Govan.

Nonetheless : 1 hour 45 minutes for a four mile journey? Bollocks. You can walk that far in an hour, let alone sit on your arse. PM me your postcode and I'll sort a route out for you.

2) "there was no need to build such a massive hospital". Yes, there was. DGHs don't work for anything other than minor complaints. Whilst I sympathise with folk who will have to travel miles to get to their nearest A&E/Maternity/etc, they'll be better off.

3) "If only they had invested a lot of that money into targeting areas with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow and aiding them rather than building a super hospital." I'd agree that that's the most effective option, Politically, it's not. See any number of "Save our local deathtrap!" campaigns.

Were you to say that a bit of joined-up thinking is needed re public transport to the SG, I'd thoroughly agree. Anymore (currently) inaccessible destination in central Glasgow it'd be hard to think of.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:35 am

HappyGlasgowGuy wrote:The parking issue is a total nightmare just now

The brand new multi storey car park is always nearly empty, the last half dozen times I've used it, I've always been able to park on the ground floor.
Yes Bridie, you do.
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8922
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby bigstevie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:18 am

HollowHorn wrote:
HappyGlasgowGuy wrote:The parking issue is a total nightmare just now

The brand new multi storey car park is always nearly empty, the last half dozen times I've used it, I've always been able to park on the ground floor.

Hospital staff are not allowed to use the car park, they all use Hargate road. Now that's a nightmare in the morning....
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby RDR » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:45 am

Josef wrote:
RDR wrote:It needs to be huge, as the entire site will eventually have approx. 10,000 staff on it. To put that in perspective Motherwell has a population of 8,000. So its the size of a small town.


That's surely complete nonsense. Motherwell? 8,000 population? I've been to games at Fir Park where there were more than three times that many folk, and I doubt that -as per the evil twins - they are drawing support from areas without the faintest geographical connection.

HappyGlasgowGuy wrote:I happen to work down at the Southern in the lab block, and can confirm that it stinks something rotten down there. If you go a full week without having to deal with the sewage works then it's heaven.

The parking issue is a total nightmare just now, and the proposed additional bus routes (especially for those north of the Clyde) just aren't happening. To put things into perspective, I live 4 miles from the hospital, right through the tunnel. We've all been told that we shouldn't be driving to work and instead get buses. Now, this 4 mile drive takes me around twenty minutes in busy traffic and yet to use buses, I'd need to get one into the bus station and then one back out, making the journey time (including the times waiting for buses) nearer the 1 hour 45 minute mark.

They've messed up big time with this one, there was no need to build such a massive hospital. If only they had invested a lot of that money into targeting areas with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow and aiding them rather than building a super hospital.


1. It's a truism that you can never have enough parking spaces. I do agree that the transport to the SG- and to anywhere in the region of Govan generally - is appallingly convoluted. Nothing 'goes via'. Everything starts or terminates at Govan.

Nonetheless : 1 hour 45 minutes for a four mile journey? Bollocks. You can walk that far in an hour, let alone sit on your arse. PM me your postcode and I'll sort a route out for you.

2) "there was no need to build such a massive hospital". Yes, there was. DGHs don't work for anything other than minor complaints. Whilst I sympathise with folk who will have to travel miles to get to their nearest A&E/Maternity/etc, they'll be better off.

3) "If only they had invested a lot of that money into targeting areas with the lowest life expectancy in Glasgow and aiding them rather than building a super hospital." I'd agree that that's the most effective option, Politically, it's not. See any number of "Save our local deathtrap!" campaigns.

Were you to say that a bit of joined-up thinking is needed re public transport to the SG, I'd thoroughly agree. Anymore (currently) inaccessible destination in central Glasgow it'd be hard to think of.


Josef,
far be it from me to argue with you but.....
At the last census, the population of Motherwell (as in the old Burgh boundaries) was as I stated.
the attendance at Firpark isn't a good judge of the population of Motherwell as the club draw support from all the surrounding towns (Bellshill/Wishaw/New Stevenson/Newmains/Carluke etc.), in fact Wishaw's population is more than Motherwell's.
I can also be sure, for reasons I can't go into, that there will be circa 10,000 staff allocated to the nSGH site and on any weekday, there will be around about 7,500 on site. Whatever way you look at it that's a lot of people.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby RDR » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:48 am

bigstevie wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:
HappyGlasgowGuy wrote:The parking issue is a total nightmare just now

The brand new multi storey car park is always nearly empty, the last half dozen times I've used it, I've always been able to park on the ground floor.

Hospital staff are not allowed to use the car park, they all use Hargate road. Now that's a nightmare in the morning....


That's not entirely true, there are areas in the multi storey set aside for staff, you just need a permit to use them....getting a permit is a whole other matter :evil:
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Josef » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:12 pm

RDR wrote:Josef,
far be it from me to argue with you but.....
At the last census, the population of Motherwell (as in the old Burgh boundaries) was as I stated.
the attendance at Firpark isn't a good judge of the population of Motherwell as the club draw support from all the surrounding towns (Bellshill/Wishaw/New Stevenson/Newmains/Carluke etc.), in fact Wishaw's population is more than Motherwell's.
I can also be sure, for reasons I can't go into, that there will be circa 10,000 staff allocated to the nSGH site and on any weekday, there will be around about 7,500 on site. Whatever way you look at it that's a lot of people.


I think I might be slightly handicapped by not knowing what the old Burgh boundaries are. But certainly, having looked at the Census figures from the General Register Office for Scotland for 1991, 2001 and 2011, they show Motherwell at a fairly consistent 30-31k and Wishaw similarly at 29-30k. That sounds far more like it to me.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests