Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:35 pm

RDR wrote:Cockroaches found in a hospital, well I never!
Don't think I ever worked in any hospital that didn't have them.
Any way the ET headline fails to mention they were in the office block rather than a clinical area, that would have got in the way of the story, I suspect

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1371 ... ?ref=fbshr


It mentions the office (administration) block at the start of the story:

The insects which can spread germs that cause disease were found in the administration block.
There are no patients in the block and it is not attached to the multi-storey hospital.


Funnily enough, I saw my first ever cockroach two weeks ago... At the Southern General! It was sitting on a discarded pillow lying on a windowsill of the clock tower building. I had no idea what it was at first.
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Any sign of demo over at former OPD, etc.?
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Internal dem at old OPD and A&E has started. The old central hall is now down :(
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Guacho wrote:The old central hall is now down :(


Do you mean this?

Image

...which I assume was the dining hall from its days as a poorhouse.

What was it used for latterly?
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Latterly used for staff changing, it had been used as a gym and for concerts. I think it post dates the poorhouse though. I may be corrected ::):
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Btw, impressed with your helicopter ::):
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:44 am

Guacho wrote:Latterly used for staff changing, it had been used as a gym and for concerts.


I found this in the adjacent asylum block:

Image

Guacho wrote:I think it post dates the poorhouse though. I may be corrected ::):


Are you sure you're not confusing it with the poorhouse which the Merryflats/Govan site replaced? It had utilised a former barracks.
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:12 am

dazza wrote:.........
Funnily enough, I saw my first ever cockroach two weeks ago... At the Southern General! It was sitting on a discarded pillow lying on a windowsill of the clock tower building. I had no idea what it was at first.


Probably exhausted from having to walk round the hospital.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:29 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Probably exhausted from having to walk round the hospital.

No doubt!

Here's another view of your Central hall, Gaucho:

Image

I noticed the long link corridor was being demolished last time I was there

Image

A few other views:

Image

Image
Spot the rogue bed pan.

Image
Old and New
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:18 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:Cockroaches found in a hospital, well I never!
Don't think I ever worked in any hospital that didn't have them.
Any way the ET headline fails to mention they were in the office block rather than a clinical area, that would have got in the way of the story, I suspect

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1371 ... ?ref=fbshr


It mentions the office (administration) block at the start of the story:

The insects which can spread germs that cause disease were found in the administration block.
There are no patients in the block and it is not attached to the multi-storey hospital.


Funnily enough, I saw my first ever cockroach two weeks ago... At the Southern General! It was sitting on a discarded pillow lying on a windowsill of the clock tower building. I had no idea what it was at first.


So, why not say it in the headline then? Get people to read the thing I suppose and then they discover it wasn't a clinical area but you get them worried in the first place.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Pointyears » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 am

Bloody hell - the Queen Elizabeth II hospital is hardly user friendly. Constant (bacteria encouraging) high temperature heating throughout, incomorehensible lift system and vast in-facing windows to an empty atrium that could have seen another block built for nore beds (and still not lost the "airiness" of the building.
Old Southern General needed upgrade but already I foresee problems with how new area is constructed.
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:38 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
RDR wrote:I see A&E performance has improved, up to 94% of attendees being seen within the 4 hours.


Do we know the raw numbers? 94% of fewer attendees maybe isn't something to be bumming about.


77% for the first week in October. Scandalous.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
RDR wrote:I see A&E performance has improved, up to 94% of attendees being seen within the 4 hours.


Do we know the raw numbers? 94% of fewer attendees maybe isn't something to be bumming about.


77% for the first week in October. Scandalous.


Don't believe everything in the papers. Everyone is seen within 4 hours. The number refers to those discharged from A&E, either home or to a ward. Some of these people would be too sick to move anywhere.
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:38 am

RDR's 'being seen' is misleading. Everyone, almost by definition, is triaged on arrival.


The test, and what the 4 hours applies to, is disposal. The SG isn't unique in failing this. The old A&E and the Western had a habit of bumping patients to the Medical Assessment Unit (in the former Beatson Building) if it looked as if the 4 hours would be broken. Many a night I've spent there.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby banjo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:00 pm

slightly off topic............is there a blanket ban these days on the reporting of hospital staff assaults?genuine reason for asking.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3197
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests