Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby mercury » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Doorstop wrote:A whole 15?

Well .. that's ok then.

Here's me thinking they hadn't tried.



So how many do you think it should have been?
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Andrew Robertson hoping to upgrade his OBE for a CBE.
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:58 pm

mercury wrote:
Doorstop wrote:A whole 15?

Well .. that's ok then.

Here's me thinking they hadn't tried.



So how many do you think it should have been?


Well, definitely a greater percentage than that of even the total staff number, surely? I've spoken to a fairly substantial number of people about the name, and no-one likes it or agrees with the change that no-one appeared to know about prior to the day of the unveiling!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
User avatar
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: What's it called?

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:08 pm

mercury wrote:
Doorstop wrote:A whole 15?

Well .. that's ok then.

Here's me thinking they hadn't tried.



So how many do you think it should have been?


They managed to consult with the staff and public over the naming of the Jubilee Building at GRI, so they could have carried out the same exercise at the Southern. In other words open up as widely as possible.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 pm

dazza wrote:Andrew Robertson hoping to upgrade his OBE for a CBE.


Looks more and more likely that the whole idea happened on the spur of the moment, as clearly you have pointed out the HB had already paid to get the signage changed to South Glasgow University Hospital.
So where would that idea have come from?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:39 pm

I've got an idea of how this renaming might have come about.
In this scenario VPP = Very Powerful Person

So, VPPC1 wanders out his office and spots VPPCE.
Listen VPPCE I've had a grand idea. You know how we managed to get wee Queenie to agree to open that hospital beside the sewage works? VPPCE explodes, how many times have we agreed not to mention that sewage works or the bloody smell?? Ok says VPPC1 I really mean that lovely state of the art Institution in fragrant Govan, but given she coming all this way how about naming it after her? VPPCE considers this? What another Royal? We can't have another 2 Royals in the same city....can we? VPPC1, well then lets name it like the ship, you know the QE11? Hmm says VPPCE but what about a consultation?
Och says VPPC1 that's easy, the Heads of Nursing and Heads of Medicine are meeting over there lets tell them, I mean consult with them, but lets not tell ED, cause he might be a commie and won't like Queenie.
They go off to the meeting room.

Into the meeting they go. Listen says VPPC1, with VPPCE beside him, were going to call the old Suffering the Queen Elizabeth from now on, any objections? There is much coughing and staring at feet of the meeting participants, as the thought goes through their collective heads about their future careers....well says VPPC1 as there are no objections we will get on with it.

They leave the room and VPPC1 says to VPPCE, this consultation lark is easy.....

Of course this is a fictionalised account I've made up in my head.....it couldn't have happened that way....could it :roll:
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:31 pm

RDR wrote:...any objections? There is much coughing and staring at feet of the meeting participants, as the thought goes through their collective heads about their future careers


Bingo!
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:...any objections? There is much coughing and staring at feet of the meeting participants, as the thought goes through their collective heads about their future careers


Bingo!

Dazza you are such a cynic! :D
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 pm

ImageSouther General Surgical Block. August 5th 2015 by guachglw, on Flickr

The Southern surgical block looks as though it's going soon. Also noticed that the Roundhouse building now has Heras fencing. Quirky wee place worth a picture or 2.
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Just noticed the ghost chimneys in the picture. These are actually ladders. Presumably to make it easier to throw a wean down the chimney ::):
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Guacho wrote:The Southern surgical block looks as though it's going soon. Also noticed that the Roundhouse building now has Heras fencing. Quirky wee place worth a picture or 2.


Erm, can the Roundhouse be accessed from inside the INS, or is it now padlocked?
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm


Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby Guacho » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:40 pm

dazza wrote: Erm, can the Roundhouse be accessed from inside the INS, or is it now padlocked?


Not padlocked but........

ImageRoundhouse Entrance by guachglw, on Flickr

Limited number of entry codes on these locks :roll:
User avatar
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: Scotstoun

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby colmar » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:20 pm

The costs attendant on the last-minute renaming of the hospital are probably a drop in the bucket in comparison to those surrounding the ongoing fiasco with the resurfacing of Govan Road from Elder Park to the Hospital complex. The whole job is weeks behind whatever schedule was originally fixed – is still incomplete – causes daily inconvenience to those on main roads anywhere near the hospital – and is a prime example of shoddy workmanship. The resurfaced stretches of roadway are a disgrace.

Who is paying for all this? Let me guess !!! I pray the beancounters had the wit to include penalty clauses in the contract – Oh what a stupid thought !!!
colmar
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:22 pm

colmar wrote:The costs attendant on the last-minute renaming of the hospital are probably a drop in the bucket in comparison to those surrounding the ongoing fiasco with the resurfacing of Govan Road from Elder Park to the Hospital complex. The whole job is weeks behind whatever schedule was originally fixed – is still incomplete – causes daily inconvenience to those on main roads anywhere near the hospital – and is a prime example of shoddy workmanship. The resurfaced stretches of roadway are a disgrace.

Who is paying for all this? Let me guess !!! I pray the beancounters had the wit to include penalty clauses in the contract – Oh what a stupid thought !!!


That at least is down to the city council and not the Health Board. I mean the damn thing was 10 years in the planning and building, so its not as if the council didn't get much notice :roll:
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests