Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:22 pm

dazza wrote:RDR, Gaucho, anyone else... What did you think of the BBC documentary?

A thinly veiled attempt by NHS GGC to generate some positive spin from the opening.
Time might have been better spent on sorting out issues that had arisen.
The argument against what we have ended up with was lost long ago, so I suppose the rights and wrongs of that don't matter much, but they have to make the new site work, as there is now no alternative.
As it is GRI is also creaking at the seams.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:11 pm

dazza wrote:RDR, Gaucho, anyone else... What did you think of the BBC documentary?

I think they did a reasonable job of making some kind of story out of it. They must have had hundreds of hours of video. For example, the bit I was in, the trauma patient, they filmed us for about an hour and a half and only about 2 minutes made the cut :( They did show a lot of problems: outpatients finding where to go, bronchoscope not working, crowding in IAU. They also showed the determination of staff to make things work for their patients, but didn't make a big thing of it, probably because the staff didn't. Too sympathetic to some of the numpties, like the nurse who didn't take the chance to get a tour of the A&E before she was left in charge.
Overall, I thought it was positive, because of the staff and patients
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:56 pm

I believe the link bridge between the old medical and surgical blocks is being taken down on Sunday.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 pm

RDR wrote:I believe the link bridge between the old medical and surgical blocks is being taken down on Sunday.

That's the plan, weather dependant. The main road through the hospital will be closed from 7am
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Posted this in an other thread, but I think it's worth sticking it in here for reference...

I've recently came into possession of a list of every Scottish hospital and their bed complement (circa 2007), and it makes for some interesting reading. The new QEU "super" hospital has between 1,109 - 1,677 beds depending on your source. However, the 2007 figures for beds are as follows:

Southern General - 900
Western Infirmary - 493
Victoria Infirmary - 400
Mansionhouse Unit - 252
Total 2,045

Taking into consideration that Gartnavel has already relocated five inpatient wards to the QEUH, and obviously intends to move more, that's a further 465 beds if all inpatient services cease. And if we thrown in Stobhill, which only closed in 2011, that's a further 543 beds which have already had to be absorbed elsewhere.
dazza
-
-

Postby dazza » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:03 pm

dazza
-
-

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects