Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:11 pm

dazza wrote:Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to extend staff car park

I notice these plans don't retain the unlisted Management Offices...

Dazza,
I have real difficulty interpreting these plans.
Clearly, some of the space is being created from the demolition of the old OPD and Rehab Buildings.
It looks like more space is created from the demolition of the old urology and radiology departments, in other words the building that links to the clock tower on one side and the bridge to surgical block on the other.
Surgical Block goes and is landscaped.
Like you say, I can't see what they are doing with the management building, in other words it looks like green space replaces it.
Gucho might know more...
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm

It all changes week to week :roll: It was intended this building would stay. However, the east wing's (the white facade in the background of the picture) attic space is sealed because of asbestos, theroof leaks through to the top floor and there's a wasp's dyke in the attic.............
From the plans looks like only the west wing is there, although how they'll heat it
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:07 am

Guacho wrote:It all changes week to week :roll: It was intended this building would stay. However, the east wing's (the white facade in the background of the picture) attic space is sealed because of asbestos, theroof leaks through to the top floor and there's a wasp's dyke in the attic.............
From the plans looks like only the west wing is there, although how they'll heat it

Whilst some space will be empty in the management building now, not everyone in it went to the new office block, the most obvious ones being some of the acute directors and staff. The office block is full, in some cases 5 people share a desk, so will they send them to J B Russell, it's self pretty full.
Meantime on the Victoria site the McQuaker building still needs to be emptied and OH are still in the old OPD (though thought to be going to the old Yorkhill site).
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:34 pm

RDR wrote:Whilst some space will be empty in the management building now, not everyone in it went to the new office block, the most obvious ones being some of the acute directors and staff. The office block is full, in some cases 5 people share a desk, so will they send them to J B Russell, it's self pretty full.
Meantime on the Victoria site the McQuaker building still needs to be emptied and OH are still in the old OPD (though thought to be going to the old Yorkhill site).

Maybe some of that "£842m" could have been spent on Gartnavel East House - That would free up space in J B Russell.
Any idea what the long-term plan for Yorkhill/QM's is?
dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:Whilst some space will be empty in the management building now, not everyone in it went to the new office block, the most obvious ones being some of the acute directors and staff. The office block is full, in some cases 5 people share a desk, so will they send them to J B Russell, it's self pretty full.

Maybe some of that "£842m" could have been spent on Gartnavel East House - That would free up space in J B Russell.
Any idea what the long-term plan for Yorkhill/QM's is?

They looked at refurbishing Gartnavel East House but apparently it's too far gone to be done and/or too expensive.
Short term Yorkhill site will house the West Minor Injury unit until it can move to Gartnavel General and West OPD until that is all taken on by the new Southern. OH is also going there as well but as far as I know that'll be through to 2017. Some foul up with who owns the land means they can't sell off yet, but they will once they find a way round it. Makes me think of the carry on with Mearnskirk Hospital grounds when they went to sell them originally.

They still need to find somewhere to put all the folk in the McQuaker Building at the old VI, as well. That'll be over a hundred as they need to take the folk out the modular building, at the old Primary Care HQ on the Gartnavel Royal Site, as well. It's leaking and falling to bits.
There was some talk of renting space in the Skypark building but that has fallen through for now.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Suspect the Yorkhill site is there for a while. The old Queen Mother's is still full of office based staff.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Excellent article about the renaming
http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/1 ... ef=mr&lp=7
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Guacho wrote:Excellent article about the renaming
http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/1 ... ef=mr&lp=7

That is excellent and probably puts into words the way I feel as well. Pretty brave of the doctor to speak out.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Guacho wrote:Suspect the Yorkhill site is there for a while. The old Queen Mother's is still full of office based staff.

QMH is, but I think they wanted to move the staff in the QMH into the main Yorkhill site and close up the QMH. I think they get some sort of rates relief on an empty building...anyway that was the plan a few months ago, but as you say it changes from week to week.....you would have thought given the new Southern was ten years in the planning and building they would have all that worked out for it opening....
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 pm

RDR wrote:
Guacho wrote:Suspect the Yorkhill site is there for a while. The old Queen Mother's is still full of office based staff.

QMH is, but I think they wanted to move the staff in the QMH into the main Yorkhill site and close up the QMH. I think they get some sort of rates relief on an empty building...anyway that was the plan a few months ago, but as you say it changes from week to week.....you would have thought given the new Southern was ten years in the planning and building they would have all that worked out for it opening....

Au contraire - if asked prior to all this, I would have predicted something along the lines of what's happening, if not worse. No-one ever came clean about how long it took to organise the Woodilee evacuation all those years ago, but it certainly didn't only take them the couple of weeks they said - that was planned for months, if not years.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:

Au contraire - if asked prior to all this, I would have predicted something along the lines of what's happening, if not worse. No-one ever came clean about how long it took to organise the Woodilee evacuation all those years ago, but it certainly didn't only take them the couple of weeks they said - that was planned for months, if not years.

Yes, I can remember the Woodilee move and if I remember Lennox Castle was no better.
I agree with you Box, after 39 years in the NHS, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest about all the problems. Sadly, like you, I could have predicted it as well.
After all the hospital closures over the years why does the NHS remain so poor at organising such moves?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:29 pm

The total cost of the renaming, the bulk of which was accounted for by the ceremony and three commemorative plaques, has been given as £100,486.

This information has been collated in order to respond to requests for information received by NHSGGC under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, on the subject of the naming of the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and Royal Hospital for Children and associated issues.

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/media/233729/naming-of-queen-elizabeth-university-hospital-and-associated-issues.pdf

An NHSGGC spokesman said: "The vast majority of our staff and patients were delighted that the Queen officially opened our new healthcare facilities...

Oh really?
dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:41 pm

dazza wrote:The total cost of the renaming, the bulk of which was accounted for by the ceremony and three commemorative plaques, has been given as £100,486.

This information has been collated in order to respond to requests for information received by NHSGGC under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, on the subject of the naming of the new Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and Royal Hospital for Children and associated issues.

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/media/233729/naming-of-queen-elizabeth-university-hospital-and-associated-issues.pdf

An NHSGGC spokesman said: "The vast majority of our staff and patients were delighted that the Queen officially opened our new healthcare facilities...

Oh really?

Quite. No consultation with the staff, so that will be the 20 folk in the corporate communications department (better know as Pravda) and the Chief Executive's Office, who thought it was a wizard idea :x
Did they really ask patients what they thought?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 am

GGC chair explains the name change of Southern General and the consultation seems to have been with about 15 people...
http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/about-us/media ... -renaming/
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:55 pm

A whole 15?

Well .. that's ok then.

Here's me thinking they hadn't tried.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe