Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby bigstevie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm

RDR wrote:
bigstevie wrote:
Guacho wrote:Now only 11 months till the handover

try xmas 2014............ ::): ::): there well ahead of schedule......

Official line is that keys will be handed over January 2015>

Splitting hairs there I think.....your forgetting am on site.... Xmas 2014 . Hospital staff move in , and open up to the public Easter/ish 2015
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bigstevie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:55 pm

RDR wrote:
bigstevie wrote:I always understood this site was to be another multi-story car-park..... the new office block is to be built where the Brookfield offices are on Hargate road . then again am just a daft sparkie :D

It was originally supposed to be a car park but GCC withheld planning permission. It is now going to be used for the office block, I think, though the education centre is definitely in that space.

Office block defo getting build on Hargate road(Brookfield temporary office block) they saved £38 million on the main job . No real hold ups ,so the savings went to other projects....
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Guacho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 pm

bigstevie wrote:
RDR wrote:
bigstevie wrote:

Splitting hairs there I think.....your forgetting am on site.... Xmas 2014 . Hospital staff move in , and open up to the public Easter/ish 2015

No advantage to a christmas handover, it only takes 2 weeks out of snagging because of holidays (unless it's 3 or 4 weeks before). Key handover has moved back twice, from 28 march to 28 January, in the last 7 weeks. Expect a quick move once the handover has taken place. The longer you leave it the more stuff gets knocked ::):
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 pm

dazza wrote:Interesting photos, Stevie. I wonder why the asylum block was the only one of the three poorhouse buildings not to have a listing? It's the only one which really still had any semblance of the original interior.

The building had little architectural merit and was in poor condition. One or two areas had layout from the poor law hospital, but much of the building had been remodelled inside. Some had aleady been demolished because of rot and vandalism.

The 20% VAT on refurbishment against 0% VAT on demolition and new build won't have helped any case for retention. I'm sure in 20 years forums like this will ask why demolition was allowed, not just this building, but Shieldhall House, the old Manse and Merryflats house (demolished around 1989) along with the gardens, bowling green and tennis courts.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Guacho wrote:
bigstevie wrote:
RDR wrote:
bigstevie wrote:

No advantage to a christmas handover, it only takes 2 weeks out of snagging because of holidays (unless it's 3 or 4 weeks before). Key handover has moved back twice, from 28 march to 28 January, in the last 7 weeks. Expect a quick move once the handover has taken place. The longer you leave it the more stuff gets knocked ::):

I'm hearing May 2015 when first clinical staff move in.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bigstevie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:23 pm

i hope all your forecasts are correct...... keeps me in a job :D :D :D roll on 2015 ...... :)
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 pm

bigstevie wrote:I always understood this site was to be another multi-story car-park..... the new office block is to be built where the Brookfield offices are on Hargate road . then again am just a daft sparkie :D

Sorry to disagree Stevie but just had sight of the plans, this afternoon and confirmed the office block is going behind the Learning & Education centre, where the psychiatric unit was. Frontage of the office block to face the road leading to the Clyde tunnel.

I also understand that the corner site, where the old chest clinic/old A&E/GUM clinic was (and recently demolished) will be the new Ronald MacDonald House.

Handover date now 26th January 2015 with 12 weeks commissioning to follow that and on completion staff will start to move in. Once all moves are complete, the surgical block will be demolished and the site tidied up and landscaped with a view to total completion by Spring 2016.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bigstevie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:59 pm

RDR wrote:

Sorry to disagree Stevie but just had sight of the plans, this afternoon and confirmed the office block is going behind the Learning & Education centre, where the psychiatric unit was. Frontage of the office block to face the road leading to the Clyde tunnel.

I also understand that the corner site, where the old chest clinic/old A&E/GUM clinic was (and recently demolished) will be the new Ronald MacDonald House.

Handover date now 26th January 2015 with 12 weeks commissioning to follow that and on completion staff will start to move in. Once all moves are complete, the surgical block will be demolished and the site tidied up and landscaped with a view to total completion by Spring 2016.

going by those dates ....that's the original time scale .... end of April childrens hospital opens , then a short time later/july the main hospital opens .... i can only comment on what the troops on site get told , no real insider gossup :?
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RDR » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

bigstevie wrote:
RDR wrote:

going by those dates ....that's the original time scale .... end of April childrens hospital opens , then a short time later/july the main hospital opens .... i can only comment on what the troops on site get told , no real insider gossup :?

Not to worry, the dates/times/plans keep getting changed in any case, even for those of us who have a connection.
At the start we weren't even building an Education Centre never mind an Office Block.
Saw some pictures of the finish inside and it looks really good, so you guy's are doing a great job.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 pm

How big is the A&E going to be? Is it twice the present size or just a "bit" bigger? When the Western closes all those from the "West End" will have to decide The Royal or the Southern.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:39 am

moonbeam wrote:How big is the A&E going to be? Is it twice the present size or just a "bit" bigger? When the Western closes all those from the "West End" will have to decide The Royal or the Southern.

Given a choice it'd be the Royal. Not even a medical emergency will get a Westender south of the river.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm

moonbeam wrote:How big is the A&E going to be? Is it twice the present size or just a "bit" bigger? When the Western closes all those from the "West End" will have to decide The Royal or the Southern.

Depends how you measure it, because size doesn't always matter!
What's important is how they manage the flows through the department and how the downstream wards are set up.
It is bigger than the present department and more akin to the size of the A&E at GRI.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:28 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

Given a choice it'd be the Royal. Not even a medical emergency will get a Westender south of the river.

Absolutely true and suggested estimates are that 20% of the present numbers attending the WIG will go to the GRI rather than through the tunnel.
It is also a thought that those who might have attended the Vic, say from Castlemilk, Simshill, Cathcart etc. might opt to go to the GRI rather than go to the New Southern.
That also applies to Newton Mearns and Giffnock who usually went to the Vic and may find it easier to go to Hairmyers in East Kilbride.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 am

feature on the new southern general on radio scotland right now.10.00am sunday.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:06 am

banjo wrote:feature on the new southern general on radio scotland right now.10.00am sunday.

Damn, missed it! :(
Who was on and what did they say?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects