Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:11 pm

I visited a pal in the Southern General yesterday, haven't been there for years. I was struck by the mish-mash of buildings and styles, has anyone done a bit of exploring there and/or catalogued the buildings ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Southern General Hospital

Postby Guacho » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Have to be quick- there's a lot been demolished in the last 10 years and a big chunk to go in the next 4. I think there is a book chronicling the site, published around 1977.
The clock tower is the oldest part which will survive the new South Glasgow behemoth. The oldest part currently standing is the psychiatric unit (I've ben told :) )
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:49 am

I was born in the Suffering, and spent my formative years living within a few hundred yards (Aboukir Street and Langlands Road) until I left home at 21. My Mum even worked in the kitchens for a while in the late '70's. It has alway (in recent memory) alway been a real mish mash of buildings - I suppose since the Maternity and Neurosurgery units were built in the 60's - 70's. Anyway the oldest parts of the building, rightly pointed out as the clock tower, started out life as the Govan Combination Poorhouse and opened in 1872, later known as Merryflatts Poorhouse and now part of the Sufferin. QuotingGeorge Rountrees' "Bygone Govan" - 'To the south, near Langlands Drive, there was a separate building designated as an asylum, while another detached building to the north was the actual hospita. The original main entrance to the Southern General in Govan Road was through a narrow stone arch suitable for the horse-drawn vehicles of early times, but enlargement of the medical facilities from the 1960's rendered it impractical and a new, much wider entrance was opened to the west after which the old one was sealed off' - I think this original gate or remnants of it can still be seen with the number 1301 on the gate post.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:54 pm

fatweegee wrote:I was born in the Suffering, and spent my formative years living within a few hundred yards (Aboukir Street and Langlands Road) until I left home at 21. My Mum even worked in the kitchens for a while in the late '70's. It has alway (in recent memory) alway been a real mish mash of buildings - I suppose since the Maternity and Neurosurgery units were built in the 60's - 70's. Anyway the oldest parts of the building, rightly pointed out as the clock tower, started out life as the Govan Combination Poorhouse and opened in 1872, later known as Merryflatts Poorhouse and now part of the Sufferin. QuotingGeorge Rountrees' "Bygone Govan" - 'To the south, near Langlands Drive, there was a separate building designated as an asylum, while another detached building to the north was the actual hospita. The original main entrance to the Southern General in Govan Road was through a narrow stone arch suitable for the horse-drawn vehicles of early times, but enlargement of the medical facilities from the 1960's rendered it impractical and a new, much wider entrance was opened to the west after which the old one was sealed off' - I think this original gate or remnants of it can still be seen with the number 1301 on the gate post.

Yes it can, and the old Casualty Department is to the left of that entrance.
The newer entrance described, originally had a gatehouse, where you could go to find out which building a patient had been admitted to. It was demolished, in the early 90's I think>
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 pm

pictures and links here .

Had a look today, you can see the change in the stonework where the old entrance has been filled in. No sign of a gatepost, or of a number. Interesting side gate from one of the former staff houses on Govan Rd which might have had something to do with the old grand entrance.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Southern General Redevlopment

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I thought it might be nice, given this is within 14 months of completion that we recorded the changes to the site.
I'm no use with pictures on here, but someone else might be able to contribute pictures from the past and how the site looks now.

So far, in order to build the 'death star' (look at the pictures of the new building from above and you'll see it looks very like that), the old central canteen was demolished along with the psychogeriatic unit (latterly the management building annex) and the old stores department.

Demolition of other areas has started to pick up. The original casualty (on the corner of the site), which was latterly a chest clinic has just gone. The old mortuary is already away as is the 1960's built pharmacy department in the middle of the site.

The Langlands redevelopment, saw the last of the pavilions form the old Shieldhall Hospital go, the last of those pavilions was used as a kids day nursery and was flattened for extra car park space.

I'm sure there is much more others could add......
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby Guacho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Less than a year to completion. Keys hand over end of January next year.

The old poor law hospital (latterly the psychiatric wards) was recently demolished with construction of the education centre and new admin block underway. Rumours that the (listed) clock tower building may also be demolished :(
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:38 pm

As far as I know the old nurses home will be kept, on the left as you come in the main drag.
Not sure what the plans are for the surgical block on the right of the main drag after the OPD, which was the nurse's training school.
In truth I'm not sure if there is much worth preserving on the site but others may disagree.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 pm

A bit of the history of the site from the NHSGGC archives.

The Southern General Hospital (SGH) was originally part of the Govan Combination Poorhouse. The hospital’s earliest buildings were in Eglinton Street when in 1872 a new 240 bed general hospital and 180 patient lunatic asylum were built at the present site. In 1902–1905 major extensions provided 700 more beds. In 1912 Govan was absorbed into Glasgow Parish. Between 1912 and 1948 the SGH (which adopted that name in 1923) was run by Glasgow Parish Council and then by Glasgow Corporation.

Upgrading of the hospital’s facilities, in the form of a multiplicity of medium–sized projects, began in the 1950s and was capped with the opening of a new Maternity Unit in 1970 and the completion of the Institute of Neurological Sciences in 1972. Between 1948 and 1974 responsibility for the SGH rested with the Board of Management for Glasgow South Western Hospitals and in 1974 it was transferred to the South Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1992 the Southern General Hospital NHS Trust was created. In 1999 this was replaced by the larger Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also includes the Victoria Infirmary.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:12 pm

For the sake of completeness and given the Victoria Infirmary will shut when the new South Hospital opens, a bit about the history of that, also from the NHS GGC archives

The Victoria Infirmary is located at Langside on the South Side of Glasgow. It was opened in 1890 as a voluntary hospital with a bed complement of 84 beds. By 1906 it had 260 beds. A further 120 bed wing was added in 1927 and a paying patients block was completed in 1935. In the late 1940s the Infirmary was designated a major teaching hospital. Between 1959 and 1971 substantial upgrading and new building work, including new laboratories, operating theatres and Out–Patients Department, was undertaken.

The Victoria acquired a convalescent home, Brooksby at Largs, in 1897 and built the first country auxiliary hospital in Scotland: Philipshill Hospital which opened in 1929. In 1948 the Victoria joined the National Health Service as the leading hospital under the Board of Management for Glasgow Victoria Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the South Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1992 the Victoria Infirmary achieved trust status within the NHS. In 1999 the Victoria Infirmary NHS Trust was replaced by the larger Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also includes the Southern General Hospital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Some photos of what would originally have been the Govan Parish Poorhouse asylum block:

ImageGovan Poorhouse Asylum by Dazza ., on Flickr
dazza
-
-

Postby rabmania » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Wow!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 am

This link will give you a series of pictures on what the redeveloped site will look like once complete.
http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1122
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm

A bit more on the history of the original buildings.

Built as Govan Parish Poorhouse. Unlike fever hospitals, the supervision of the poor was the responsibility of Parish Boards. The Institution opened in 1872 and the following year, on the combination of Govan with Gorbals, or Little Govan, Parish, the latter closed its existing Gorbals facility and moved into the Govan premises, which were rapidly expanded. The first part, a long symmetrical French Renaissance building, with many mansard turrets adorned by iron crests and a bell tower complete with a clock, became the centrepiece of the Combination Poorhouse. It is now entered through the Doric portico of the low central wing.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Guacho wrote:Less than a year to completion. Keys hand over end of January next year.

The old poor law hospital (latterly the psychiatric wards) was recently demolished with construction of the education centre and new admin block underway. Rumours that the (listed) clock tower building may also be demolished :(

The Clock Tower building will be retained but the extension behind it will be demolished and replaced by car parks. It will be an administrative building without wards.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects