port eglinton

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Josef » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 pm

The Glasgow version of Twin Peaks? One of my very favourite tv series :D .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Socceroo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Schiehallion wrote:Does anyone have any info about a Port Eglinton disaster involving a train crashing? Can't find anything on the net.

I was looking for stuff on the Glasgow, Paisley, Johnstone Canal which later became the route of the Railway and came across this, which details a Canal disaster but i could not find details of any later Rail disaster.

"On Saturday 10th November 1810 it was the Martinmas Fair. Many people, with the day off work, took the opportunity to travel the short distance of 6 miles by canal between Paisley and Johnstone. As The Countess of Eglinton docked at the Paisley wharf, there was a rush of people trying to get onto the boat. At the same time, people from Johnstone were trying to disembark. Despite the attempts of the boat men to push off again, the weight of people pushing onto the boat caused it to suddenly overturn, throwing many passengers into the freezing cold water of the wharf.

Although though the wharf was only 6 foot in depth, the freezing water and the sheer sides of the embankments compounded the problem that few people of the time could swim. The result was that 85 people perished in the disaster."
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: port eglinton

Postby OLDFART » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:05 am

Andrew Thompson was across road from Arnold Clarke. The company was just passed House of Sher older building. They used to be cabinet makers. i cant remember building being white but it has been a long time since i worked there :D

strange i walked down that way going to Scotland Street for EID on the drive 1st time i've been down that way in over 20 years :D

http://www.hoteldesigns.co.uk/industryn ... s_503.html
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Thon art Deco Building

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 am

Not sure if that's the one but certainly around there is the Police Stables, I thought the dog handlers were out in Pollock Park?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby haxi05 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks very much for that great entry.
haxi05
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gdmcilvain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 pm

The present works are a serious engineering undertaking. My parents owned a business in shops in Eglinton St facing the Eglinton St railway station. I walked from school daily from 1949 then after a short interval at the end of my school years worked in this business location until the mid 70's. Eglinton St had frequent trams and of course the daily visit of the leerie. One or two 'rumours/truths.

1. Many trains stopped at Eglinton St station and my mum and I would use them to go into the 'Central' We understood that long term planning was for the central to be closed and a new central raiway station to be built where Eglinton St station was located.

2. The building in Eglinton St was purchased by the council. It was claimed to be the best example of Greek Thomson domesic architecture. The bridge goes right through the open land where the property stood.

3. Further up Eglinton St is Eglinton toll. It was a cracker of an interchange like a scissor crossing and a further road coming in from the west side. The policeman who stood each day organising the traffic had a tough job on his hands. Eventually barriers were introduced and no policeman was required . Folklore had that the policeman retired and nobody else could do the job.

4.. Years later there was a big explosion at Eglinton Toll

A few memories

GDM
gdmcilvain
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Anorak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Taken a long time for a reply gdmcilvain, but...............

gdmcilvain wrote:The present works are a serious engineering undertaking. My parents owned a business in shops in Eglinton St facing the Eglinton St railway station. I walked from school daily from 1949 then after a short interval at the end of my school years worked in this business location until the mid 70's. Eglinton St had frequent trams and of course the daily visit of the leerie. One or two 'rumours/truths.

1. Many trains stopped at Eglinton St station and my mum and I would use them to go into the 'Central' We understood that long term planning was for the central to be closed and a new central raiway station to be built where Eglinton St station was located.

I had a wee look at your suggestion that Central Station (and probably St Enoch Station) could have been demolished and replaced with a new station on the south side.

Sounds totally crazy, but you were 100% correct according to this snippet form the Glasgow Herald from 16th March 1946.

The City Engineer referred to in the Herald was Sir Robert Bruce, the lunatic who proposed the total destruction of Glasgow city centre in the Bruce Report of 1945.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Report

The lines from Central and St Enoch crossed over at the corner of Eglinton Street and Cumberland Street, which could have been the site of your mum’s rumoured super station.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Toaster » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:58 am

gdmcilvain wrote:The present works are a serious engineering undertaking. My parents owned a business in shops in Eglinton St facing the Eglinton St railway station. I walked from school daily from 1949 then after a short interval at the end of my school years worked in this business location until the mid 70's. Eglinton St had frequent trams and of course the daily visit of the leerie. One or two 'rumours/truths.

My grandparents lived in Gourock Street, and my great-grandparents ran a sweet shop in Turriff Street.

You'd have plenty of stories to swap with my mum - she was brought up round there and started school around 1951. She's never mentioned any explosion at Eglinton Toll though - must ask her about that one!
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:26 pm

The shop would be Badger's
Not an explosion, but around 1970 Pollokshaws Road on the east side of Eglinton Toll collapsed into the railway tunnels. The repair work went on for almost 2 years as I recall, although I was very young :)
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Appreciated your insights, Toaster.
Great stuff Guacho!

Guacho's memories make perfect sense when you look at the aerial photograph with Eglinton Toll in the middle.
There is a huge undeveloped gap over where the various railway lines split.

What was there before? What caused it to disappear?
We shall have to investigate!!

The only explosion around Eglinton Toll I could find was carried out by expert safebreakers who never woke anyone up! This was way back in October 1953.

Moving on to gdmcilvain’s second point…………………
2. The building in Eglinton St was purchased by the council. It was claimed to be the best example of Greek Thomson domesic architecture. The bridge goes right through the open land where the property stood.

The Greek Thomson tenement block, on the eastern side of Eglinton Street, facing the railway was in very poor condition before it was demolished.
In the early 1970’s, I took part in a survey of the houses to measure and update records and found that many of the rooms in the original flats were sublet in multiple occupancy.
The block suffered from severe neglect, but in hindsight it probably could have been rescued.
The fact that there has been very little redevelopment of the site 35 years later, would lead you to believe that somebody somewhere knew that the M74 motorway was eventually coming?

This survey was before the era of Housing Associations, which started in Govanhill a few years later. As in Gorbals I wasted my time surveying the flats in Aikenhead Road, Morgan Street, Robson Street and Jamieson Street, which were demolished soon afterwards.
The Housing Association then started the renovation of the tenements on the other side of Cathcart Road from Butterbiggins Road southwards.
In Govanhill, I had to do a lot of “before and after” surveys of the houses under reconstruction.
Again, in hindsight, I don’t know if that was the best solution.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 am

Anorak wrote:Guacho's memories make perfect sense when you look at the aerial photograph with Eglinton Toll in the middle.
There is a huge undeveloped gap over where the various railway lines split.

It's a monumental mason's, isn't it. I know there's a load of unwritten tombstones along there somewhere.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby udrigle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:24 pm

I used to live at 345 pollokshaws road, just by the petrol station, in the mid 60's. At that time the petrol station had yet to be built and a rather nice bungalow occupied the land. I remember being told it was a show home for a builder in the mearns. At the back of the houses, opposite the bus depot, there was a cooperage, home to a million rats!
udrigle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Anorak wrote: .......................
The only explosion around Eglinton Toll I could find was carried out by expert safebreakers who never woke anyone up! This was way back in October 1953.

Johnny Ramensky?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Anyone wondering about the building works on Turriff Street - it's another housing development.

http://www.johngilbert.co.uk/index.php?q=node/314

I'm dying to see how they'll sell the panoramic views of the Eglinton Viaduct in the brochure...
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects