Romani People in Glasgow/Scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Romani People in Glasgow/Scotland

Postby edward carolan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 am

I'm sure some of the eastern european Roma thought they had landed in a land of milk and honey, with all the "Lucky Middens" and the furniture and goods disgarded on the steets.
That and ability to get labouring work and be not more discriminated against than the locals.
The indifference of the locals and the small amount of casual racism must have been in sharp contrast the their homelands where they were marginalised, demonised, persecuted and excluded from all input to their societies.
They are a smart, quickwitted, and highly resourceful people having had to survive with very little, they will do well here given half a chance.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Mori wrote:I put up a thread a few years ago discussing the topic of Govanhill with this ET feature leading the topic.

I cant seem to find that thread in the search .... maybe its been deleted! because it was probably felt biast against the imigrant or asylum seeking people that lived in GH, i'm sensing the same here and the way this thread is biastly heading. :|

It must be somewhere Mori. I know for a fact that nothing gets binned. Could be in the Forum Archive? Ill check the Admin bit as well.
can you remember the Subject header?

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Fossil wrote:
Mori wrote:I put up a thread a few years ago discussing the topic of Govanhill with this ET feature leading the topic.

I cant seem to find that thread in the search .... maybe its been deleted! because it was probably felt biast against the imigrant or asylum seeking people that lived in GH, i'm sensing the same here and the way this thread is biastly heading. :|

It must be somewhere Mori. I know for a fact that nothing gets binned. Could be in the Forum Archive? Ill check the Admin bit as well.
can you remember the Subject header?

Fossil

It had Cockroaches and Govan Hill in the title Fossy, cant remember the full title of the thread.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Mori wrote:It had Cockroaches and Govan Hill in the title Fossy, cant remember the full title of the thread.

It was 'Govanhill... Cockroaches ?', Mori.

It'd need a bit of a tidy before going back on public display, if Fossil is volunteering....

[Edit] Oh all right then, he isn't.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Josef wrote:
Mori wrote:It had Cockroaches and Govan Hill in the title Fossy, cant remember the full title of the thread.

It was 'Govanhill... Cockroaches ?', Mori.

It'd need a bit of a tidy before going back on public display, if Fossil is volunteering....

[Edit] Oh all right then, he isn't.

I see you've deleted my post :roll:
Fossil
-
-

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Fossil wrote:I see you've deleted my post :roll:

Nope. Did you use the 'Submit' button?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:12 pm

aye
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Shuffle it's safe to come out now.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 am

Pikey is a word very rarely used in Glasgow - tinker was always what was used so far as i remember. Was a camp in Govan behind the Pearce Institute.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby oandrews » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a Durham University Human Geography Student who is interested in speaking to any member of the showmen about their experience with Clyde gateway and the regeneration scheme in the East End of Glasgow. This will form a part of what I would like to research for my dissertation. I would like to know if they were properly consulted and how changes in the area have affected them.

I will be in Glasgow for around ten days in a weeks time and would really appreciate it if anyone would either be willing to talk to me further on here or if anyone would be willing to meet me when I come to Glasgow.

Thanks for your help,

Oli
oandrews
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby sandabound » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 pm

oandrews wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a Durham University Human Geography Student who is interested in speaking to any member of the showmen about their experience with Clyde gateway and the regeneration scheme in the East End of Glasgow. This will form a part of what I would like to research for my dissertation. I would like to know if they were properly consulted and how changes in the area have affected them.

I will be in Glasgow for around ten days in a weeks time and would really appreciate it if anyone would either be willing to talk to me further on here or if anyone would be willing to meet me when I come to Glasgow.

Thanks for your help,

Oli

Oli contact the showmans guild Scottish section, via their website also Sheffield University have a whole history of traveling fairs UK wide, they might give you a direct contact.
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 pm

A famous Romany,Corlinda Lee "Queen of the Gypsys" who's buried in the Necropolis has this inscription on her tomb;

"Her love for her children was great and she was charitable to the poor.
Wherever she pitched her tent she was loved and respected by all."

She died at 42 New City Road.
Her son, Edward is also buried at the Necropolis and his last address is recorded as being at Cambridge Street Glasgow.
Would they actually have lived there - in a gorger house or was it some kind of "resting place"?
A child is also apparently buried there too,believed to be Corlinda's grandaughter and the address given for the child is a caravan at the Phoenix Showgrounds, Sawmillfield Street,Cowcaddens(?)

Linking up with the thread about the Fairground Showground
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11544&hilit=fairground

What would relations have been between Romanys and Travelling Showpeople at the time?
Did they intermarry or just share the same sites?
Strange when you look at those areas now with a motorway and hanger-like warehouses how different it would have been with Victorian travelling shows and gypsy fortune tellers.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotsjock » Mon May 13, 2013 7:39 pm

travelling showmen used to attend horse fairs like rathven market near buckie and the now defunct aikey brae near new deer and in some instances still open at places that were started as horse fairs by romany travellers.some big fairs used to let romany fortune tellers open at certain places.as for winter the showmen and their spouce stay in their own sites.romany travellers move to thier own sites also.lots of showmen encounter problems from romany travellers who pull onto sites unannounced which have been booked through councils by travelling showmen.
here comes the rain again !
scotsjock
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scotsjock » Tue May 14, 2013 5:48 pm

as for the comment about a site beside the pearce institute used as a tinkers camp it is infact owned by travelling showman james stringfellow as is the site on water row just round the corner owned by fairground familly the johnstones.these sites are not connected to the romany/gypsy community.i will say again that theres a difference in lifestyles between travelling show people and the romany/gypsy/tinker groups.just incase you were misscalling minority groups i thought i would set a record straight.
here comes the rain again !
scotsjock
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Really enjoying this thread :)

And ive been reminded in time this year about Appleby Fair, ive wanted to go since i was a kid (horse mad).

http://applebyfair.org/

Its not far across the border :wink:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects