glasgow subway smell

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

glasgow subway smell

Postby the researcher » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 pm

i was thinking about the subway which i used to be taken on when i was younger when i stayed at my grannies house in glasgow
the nearest subway to her was shields road as she live at number 17 near the paisley road always remember it seemed an awful long back to the house after being at the town when we came out of the subway especially if it was raining.
i always remember the distinctive smell which used to come up the stairs when a train came in this was from the days when the trains were hauled by steel cable and were greased the smell was from the grease used to lubricate the ropes prior to electrification, also remember standing waiting on a train to go up the town as we called it in our family (anyone else refer to it this way?) and the loud tick of the clock and nobody having a conversation for some reason maybe im wrong in this?
anyone know what the frequency of trains were in those days? i also recall two trains arriving at the same time was this a regular thing or was it only occassionally? perhaps someone who worked on the subway at that time can tell me if this is true or not.
other memories are my granpa taking me to visit his nephew in partick and going on the subway and him pointing out the bit in the tunnel where the trains were lifted into the workshop apparently jack house used to think when a small boy that the trains were carried up the stairs and loaded up on a lorry to be taken for repair ::):
my granpas nephew always used to walk us to the subway when we were going home and would buy me a packet of poppets from the vending machine
anyone ever go on a circle which took the long route if they missed the train for the other circle?
any stories about travelling on the subway when you were younger would be interesting also any stories about the subway from ex staff who worked on the subway pre modernisation?
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: glasgow subway smell

Postby Guacho » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:18 pm

I think you must be very old.................
The Subway Line (10.4 km), nicknamed Clockwork Orange, was already built in 1896, so it's one of the oldest metros in the world. Originally operated by steam engines via cable traction, the line was electrified in 1935. From 1977 to 1979 the whole line was thoroughly reformed and reopened in 1980. Some stations were renamed then (Govan Cross > Govan, Partick Cross > Kelvinhall, Copland Road > Ibrox) and Merkland Street was replaced by a new transfer station at Partick.

from http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/gla/glasgow.htm
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 am

my parents were originally from glasgow but moved to cupar in fife after they got married in 1947 as my dad got a job at the hawklaw listening station dad came from houston street mum from shields road.
we used to go and stay with my granny and granpa (mums mum and dad) at weekends and during the easter and summer holidays when i was at school mum and me used to stay for a week during which time my granpa used to take me to visit various relatives though the relative in partick was the only one we visited where we used the subway,this was during the sixties and seventies.
my granpa worked at larkfield bus depot before he retired which had been a tram depot before that my granpas sister was a tram driver during the war and her husband worked in the office counting the money from the trams and buses.
i also used to go to the town when i was older and was working after i left school and buy an LP or single and get the subway back to shields road, i cant remember how long it took to do a complete circuit of all the stations.
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby deborahlove » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I had totally forgotten the smell of the subway!!
Here in rural Ireland people think im joking when i talk about the underground trains!!
I used to 'dog' school (before dogging became a completely different pastime altogether 8O) and go round the outer circle many times. Travel-pass was £3.25 a week- money well spent!
I remember the first time i went on the underground, from Govan to St Enoch,i was so scared i peed my pants.....just a wee bit :oops:
God bless us and save us said auld Mrs Davis, i never knew herring was fish.
deborahlove
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

deborahlove wrote:I remember the first time i went on the underground, from Govan to St Enoch,i was so scared i peed my pants.....just a wee bit :oops:

And that was just last week ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Guacho wrote:I think you must be very old.................
The Subway Line (10.4 km), nicknamed Clockwork Orange, was already built in 1896, so it's one of the oldest metros in the world. Originally operated by steam engines via cable traction, the line was electrified in 1935. From 1977 to 1979 the whole line was thoroughly reformed and reopened in 1980. Some stations were renamed then (Govan Cross > Govan, Partick Cross > Kelvinhall, Copland Road > Ibrox) and Merkland Street was replaced by a new transfer station at Partick.

from http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/gla/glasgow.htm

If you had edited out the reference "nicknamed Clockwork Orange" that would have been a great post.

The subway smell was mostly damp and a few other things.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Knew someone would react :twisted:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Marko » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Although not on the subway, I was convinced for years that Dalmarnock station smelled of smokey bacon crisps.

I still am.
Marko
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby deborahlove » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 pm

tobester wrote:
deborahlove wrote:I remember the first time i went on the underground, from Govan to St Enoch,i was so scared i peed my pants.....just a wee bit :oops:

And that was just last week ::):

No- 1973 ;)
God bless us and save us said auld Mrs Davis, i never knew herring was fish.
deborahlove
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Guacho wrote:Knew someone would react :twisted:

Aye you saw this post and thought you'd could do better.

mrsam wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Good luck to the Clockwork Orange and heres to the next 100 years....

Whit! Are you a journalist, tourist or Glaswegian living abroad?

nope and I aint grumpy either Dexter, shal i callit the sh*t hole is that better, how about vomitorium or somethine equally offensive? Eh?

I was trying to be kind by using one of it's Nicknames and instead I get some pish insinuation that I am a Journalist, Moiah a Journalist, sheesh.

BTW Mr St Clair any Constructive comments about the Subway refurb

Mr Sam Last heard of March 2007
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:06 pm

excuse my ignorance but is it not called "the clockwork orange"?
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 pm

pingu wrote:excuse my ignorance but is it not called "the clockwork orange"?

only by journalists, tourists or Glaswegians living abroad.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rude_kid » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 am

TUBE!!!?!
What if I take my problem to the United Nations?
rude_kid
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:08 am

rude_kid wrote:

TUBE!!!?!

which was dealt with in this post

dimairt wrote:I was looking at properties for sale in an estate agents in Park Rd this afternoon. Everything near a subway/underground station was described as being close to "the tube."
This has got to stop! If anything, it's worse than saying the c*******k o****e. Who's coming with me to smash their windows in?

Le durachd,

Eddy
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

2nd Class return to Dottingham please

Postby rude_kid » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 am

Choob

(BTW, you shouldn't really ask for people to edit their references. It's like asking people to invent their own EVIDENCE)
Last edited by rude_kid on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if I take my problem to the United Nations?
rude_kid
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects