riiiiiiiiiight i get u dex

rude kid i think it is only tubes who call it the tube
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: glasgow subway smell

Postby zoidberg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 pm

I thought the smell in the Underground was tar or something similar. Wasn't it supposed to be good for curing whooping cough?
"He can't stay down with three barrels on him, not with three barrels he can't."
zoidberg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:40 am

The smell of today's Subway is not the same of the one from bygone era (well that's what my nostrils tell me). The smell at the original Hillhead Subway Station was quite something and from time to time there is a faint aroma of that 'original' smell.

Different opinions have popped up regarding the smell, mainly in forums such as these (recall only, can't link you to them) but I clearly remember the smell and for me it has never been replicated since the modernisation programme back in the 80's.

Kelvinbridge was different from Hillhead - two completely contrasting smells - and they were two completely different stations, but if you were to ask me to describe it...God that would be like asking me to explain toothache to someone who wears false teeth....

There used to be a shop in Glasgow's Sauchiehall Street (sadly, I cannot remember which one but nearer to Charing Cross) and from time to time when I went into it, ther memories of the old Subway came flooding back because of the smell. It was distinctive, damp - possibly, oily - maybe, but unique it most certainly was!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:19 pm

the story my grandad told me as he worked for the corporation at the larkfield bus garage was that it was the grease used to lube the steel cable used to haul the train through the tunnel before the subway was electrified and the grease impregnated itself into the sleepers and the walls of the tunnels due to the dampness.
the reason the smell disappeared for eternity was that they opened the tunnels to the air at st enoch and various other stations during the renovations
thats the only conclusion i can come to
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:24 pm

The book "Circles under the Clyde." published to mark the centenary of the system mentions archangel tar as being the substance used to grease the cables, and thus responsible for the unique smell.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:44 pm

yoker brian wrote:The book "Circles under the Clyde." published to mark the centenary of the system mentions archangel tar as being the substance used to grease the cables, and thus responsible for the unique smell.

that could be right as cresote smell lingers for years so no doubt this archangel tar would have the same effect plus the tunnels were exposed to the fresh air so the smell stayed in the tunnels
must try the library here in cupar and see if i can get a copy of the book thats if they have a copy
could you pm me with the name of the author and the isbn number you will find this either inside the front of the book or on the back cover all books have an isbn number when published and you can trace the title of a book through the number
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:59 pm

the researcher wrote:could you pm me with the name of the author and the isbn number you will find this either inside the front of the book or on the back cover all books have an isbn number when published and you can trace the title of a book through the number

the details of the book I mentioned can be found on amazon.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm

the researcher wrote:
yoker brian wrote:The book "Circles under the Clyde." published to mark the centenary of the system mentions archangel tar as being the substance used to grease the cables, and thus responsible for the unique smell.

that could be right as cresote smell lingers for years so no doubt this archangel tar would have the same effect plus the tunnels were exposed to the fresh air so the smell stayed in the tunnels
must try the library here in cupar and see if i can get a copy of the book thats if they have a copy
could you pm me with the name of the author and the isbn number you will find this either inside the front of the book or on the back cover all books have an isbn number when published and you can trace the title of a book through the number

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Circles-Under-C ... 149&sr=8-1

A fantastic book, some interesting stories in the chapters
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks for posting the link Tobester , tried to post it from the phone but my fingers are too big, kept missing the url button
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Incidently I bought the book at the open day held at
Broomloan Depot in the centenary year, managed to get it signed by both authors on the day too
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm

i go to the scottish vintage bus museum at lathalmond near dunfermline every august when they hold their open weekend and one of the big sheds is full of traders selling bus stuff including books and one of the stalls might have a copy of this book will certainly look for it when i visit it this year as they also sell books about trams and trains etc
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 pm

No probs YB, i got the book via a link on ebay from glasgowken
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects