Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby big/davie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:35 pm

suppose it would be harder to keep an old train carriage in your garden opposed to an old red telephone box :),total waste of history and that smell never leaves you,lot of people think it was caused by the electricity and the kinda stale air,magic ::):
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:05 pm

What does 'Underframe retained for Perminant Way use' mean?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:14 pm

The Perminant Way is the trackwork.
They stripped the wooden bodywork off those cars, and kept the steel underframe with bogies still attached, to carry rails, etc, for track repair work, etc. One had a compressor fitted.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby riot grrl » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 pm

I loved those pics of the old underground. I used to travel on the old subway when I was wee. The smell! The trains used to really shake. I loved it when I was a kid.
riot grrl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:50 pm

Does anyone think that West Street, should be closed (or mothballed) ?
It's so close to Shields Road along a straight Scotland Street, you could stand outside one and wave to somebody at the other. And there's really not much down that way, even in old GCT days the staff called West Street, the "Bone Yard".

I hate seeing any stations close, but with the concerns over cash, this perhaps wouldn't be a huge loss. Although I do feel low suggesting this.

Any opinions ? :?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:55 pm

Is West St not being mooted as an interchange station for Crossrail? (I know, I'm laughing to myself as I type!)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby McShad » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:02 pm

it can be busy in the peak times as there is local parking to it

but non peak times, the trains barely stop.. doors are opened then closed. And in extreme staff shortages, it always gets pulled first
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:34 am

glasgowken wrote:Does anyone think that West Street, should be closed (or mothballed) ?
It's so close to Shields Road along a straight Scotland Street, you could stand outside one and wave to somebody at the other. And there's really not much down that way, even in old GCT days the staff called West Street, the "Bone Yard".

I hate seeing any stations close, but with the concerns over cash, this perhaps wouldn't be a huge loss. Although I do feel low suggesting this.

Any opinions ? :?

Thin edge of the wedge GK, the system is already well overdue for a spring clean and there appears to be no money (or inclination) to do it: if our dear leaders shut one station to save staff and lighting costs, where will be the next one? Cessnock?
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:49 am

I know, even if it was mothballed I wouldn't trust the SPT to open it again if housing was built nearby.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 pm

Between West Street and Shields Road the original cable used to leave the Inner Circle tunnel to reach the powerhouse in Scotland Street. There was a section cut between the two tunnels (around 15-20feet long) which originally would have contained a large pulley to divert the cable under the Outer Circle tunnel. The space is still there, used to store PW materials. I remember in my teenage years getting one of the drivers to let me off so that I could hide in the space until the next train came along. I have a picture somewhere in my collection of 1960s slides currently being digitalised which I'll post when I get to understand how to do it.
The things that we got away with then :roll: but of course the old staff were mainly drawn from the trams and were of a certain age which made them more accessible to us kids.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:10 pm

:D Great story, I'd love to see the photo when you have it ready.
I'd like nothing better than to walk the Subway tunnels, the ultimate HG outing maybe (legally, of course :wink: ).

Did you see this thread Motman ? The old cable power house building.
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... php?t=4272

I took this photo the other day, some of the bush has been cut away, I wonder if the owners read HG :)

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:40 pm

As a person who once lived in the area in the 50's (Nelson St/West St corner) these suggestions of partially closing or fully closing the West St station suggests that the area is long overdue for regeneration of the propert sort/mix. So much of the old Tradeston has been demolished and so little has the replacement been any good. This station must be retained at all costs. If its allowed to be shut down even occasionally then they will keep it closed....no question.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:01 pm

Before and after the war, West St was closed on Sundays, presumably the industries in the area kept it going during the week.
But, the sort of businesses in the area nowadays are warehouses, and small companies with a handful of staff, there's almost nothing to bring visitors & regular, passengers during the day.
You would think with the Subway so handy it would be an ideal place to build housing. The area is fairly quiet, but close to the M8, city centre, etc.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 pm

I think one of the problems with West St is that unlike Shields Rd, Kinning Park, Cessnock etc, it has never really had a residential catchment area. Also, the small park and ride facility it has is going to become more or less obsolete once the multi-story car park comes on stream at Shields Road, which of course is only just up the road.

If there was housing nearby then that would no doubt give West St. a new lease of life. But I'm not sure whether it would be a particularly attractive locality for people to want to move into.

Moreover I have a feeling that the massive newbuilding that has been taking place in urban Glasgow over recent years must be gradually reaching saturation point as far as potential sales are concerned [anybody want to shoot me down in flames over this suggestion?].
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 am

There is houses being built right beside the station car park... It's called Westbridge Gardens

The old derelict warehouses at opposite end of the car park
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects