Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:14 pm

*cough* none of that football nonesense please, get back onto topic chaps
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 am

Great vids there.... the underground drivers accent from the breakdown one was brilliant

'Just sit tight now'

The noise of the train breaking down reminded me of the old blue and white electric trains
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:20 pm

duck wrote:Ken, that would be really great and very kind of you. Collecting the tickets is a long process as they don't come up on ebay very often. If you had any to spare I would be really grateful and would pay you, of course. At the moment I've got Shields Road, Hillhead, st George's Cross, Govan Cross, Copland Road, Merkland St and Cowcaddens. So a bit to go yet!!

Hi Duck
Send me a PM with your details. I have quite a few spare old tickets hiding somewhere in my attic from my days wandering round the Car Sheds (the paper sacks of tickets collected at the stations ended up here and were binned, but quite a few ended up in a poke tht I always carried with me - sad eejit that I was then). Ultimately I ended up with examples of all ticket denominations from all stations from around 1969-1972, plus a few old ones that I found stuffed down the back of the controllers in the cab. I remember pestering the wee wummen that manned the booking offices when the new decimal tickets came out, ended up with a fair selection of ticket number 0000 from a few stations, also managed to get the millioneth 6d ticket from Goven Cross (I used the station daily to get to school) which was actually the end of the roll number 999999 then the sticky bit, then ticket 000000. Most of my pocket money ended up in GCT's hands in those days.

All happy days then :) When I master the black art of getting piccies on to this site I'll post a few shots of the more esoteric ones.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Cough cough 8)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:32 pm

glasgowken wrote:Cough cough 8)

GK - what a superb set of films, made me nearly greet with the memories. I always regretted not being around when the auld system closed and the bits were sold off. But I was at uni down here at the time.
PM me about your cold - I'll be in my attic at the weekend :wink:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 pm

motman wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Cough cough 8)

PM me about your cold - I'll be in my attic at the weekend :wink:

Cheers, I wasn't that obvious was I ? ::):

Let know if your still looking for GCT stuff, I sometimes get the odd spare. Same for you Duck.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:52 pm

Looking at the films on here and the underground dvd, i wishi wasold enough to remember the auld system, i was6 when itshut so i dont really have a memory of it

:(
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:04 pm

Same here. I was five when it closed, so only have a vague memory of hopping down the steps at Cessnock, and the dirty red train emerging from the tunnel mouth. Oh, and I was crying :cry:
I was always a nervous kid, being shaken about in the old, noisy, Subway was probably more than I could take.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:50 pm

What Tobester and GK said about not really remembering the old system mde me realise how lucky I was!! When I started secondary school in 1969 I went to St Mungo's Academy in Townhead. We lived in Mosspark so this meant me and my brothers getting the 59 into town and then another bus that would fly along Parliamentary Road. I was always jealous of my sisters as they all went to Notre Dame in Hillhead so they took the 34 to Govan Cross and then the subway!! However, every week us boys at the Mungo got two travel passes ( one for each bus) - those wee orange tickets the conductor punched. Sometimes though the conductor just glanced at your pass and didn't punch it. Going home of an evening, this is what I always prayed for. This meant that I could still make two journeys so I would get off my first bus in town and then go to either St Enoch's or Buchanan Street and choose which circle to take all the way to Govan Cross where I would get the 34 home. I used to love standing at the very back where the open doorway grill was and peering out the porthole in the end cariage as each station disappeared from view, feeling the air rushing through . And of course, like millions of others I'll never forget the smell.
Great memories. And if you don't think that's anorak enough , sometimes I used to hurry so I could walk through Queen Street station and watch the 16.35 ( or thereabouts ) leaving for Mallaig. I can still to this day recite every station on the line just from memorising the station announcement!
Thanks for the offer GK and also to
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Great memories Duck :-)
Oops, I forgot about scanning those maps in the books, here they are.
It should be possible to get a good quality print out to frame.

http://glasgowtransport.co.uk/ug_map1.jpg

http://glasgowtransport.co.uk/ug_map2.jpg
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Cheers for them GK 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby duck » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks a lot GK. Brilliant. I'm sure they'll do the trick. I'll let you know the result. :)
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm

duck wrote:What Tobester and GK said about not really remembering the old system mde me realise how lucky I was!! When I started secondary school in 1969 I went to St Mungo's Academy in Townhead. We lived in Mosspark so this meant me and my brothers getting the 59 into town and then another bus that would fly along Parliamentary Road. ...

However, every week us boys at the Mungo got two travel passes ( one for each bus) - those wee orange tickets the conductor punched. Sometimes though the conductor just glanced at your pass and didn't punch it. Going home of an evening, this is what I always prayed for. This meant that I could still make two journeys so I would get off my first bus in town and then go to either St Enoch's or Buchanan Street and choose which circle to take all the way to Govan Cross where I would get the 34 home.

And if you don't think that's anorak enough , sometimes I used to hurry so I could walk through Queen Street station and watch the 16.35 ( or thereabouts ) leaving for Mallaig. I can still to this day recite every station on the line just from memorising the station announcement!
Thanks for the offer GK and also to

I think your parents would have been better aff sending you to Lourdes...
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
I think your parents would have been better aff sending you to Lourdes...

Maybe..but as my dad was a teacher at the Mungo he maybe thought he could keep an eye on us. Little did he know his youngest son was jumping on and off buses and subway trains!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duck » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:12 pm

I just got a stripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects