Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fossil » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:46 pm

These are the buildings i'm interested in.
The first 2 Cumbrae house:
Deco Building

India building

Has this ever been a Picture House.

All on Bridge street.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:08 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Has this ever been a Picture House.
on Bridge Street

This one I can help you with! This was a warehouse with ground floor shop selling "Drapery Boots Furniture", a veritable Grace Bros by the sounds of it. It could possibly be associated with the Kinning Park Co-operative Society shop and warehouse that stood in the gap site beside it.

Iv a foto from 1950/60's somewher... il post it when i find it

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby gap74 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:37 am

It is indeed connected to the Kinning Park Co-Operative Society - it was an extension to it, built in the Egyptian style in in 1935, designed by the Scottish Co-Op's house architect at the time, the wonderfully named Cornelius Armour.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:10 am

The Kinning Park Co-Op building is directly behind it:

-Fossil-
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:06 pm

Thats actually an extension to the original building of 1902 pictured here:

(Eric Eunsons Illustrated History of the Gorbals)
India Buildings; Kinning Park Co-op (later Glasgow South Co-op) and adjoining warehouse, C 1965.

Curiously it says that this building survived the demolitions of the 1970's: was it on fire or something does anyone know?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby JamesMc » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:31 pm

Does anyone have, or, has anyone seen any of the videos about the subway that are on sale in the transport museum? They look good as a complement to the glasgow subway album book, promising real footage with sound of the old system etc. Or, they could be rubbish, with about a minute of footage. Fairly expensive too for a video these days. Any thoughts?
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:44 pm

Just recieved my Glasgow Subway Album book this morning - incredible. Bought this and Twilight Years of the Glasgow Tram in the last month, never bought a transport book before in my life!!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:56 pm

JamesMc wrote:Does anyone have, or, has anyone seen any of the videos about the subway that are on sale in the transport museum? They look good as a complement to the glasgow subway album book, promising real footage with sound of the old system etc. Or, they could be rubbish, with about a minute of footage. Fairly expensive too for a video these days. Any thoughts?

They used to show a documentary about the subway on a loop in the mock-up of the old subway station. It was excellent, and i imagine it is the same one they now have on video.
Strangely, i was asking about it a few weeks ago but the two women at the reception desk just looked at me blankly totally clueless as to what i was talking about. They never even mentioned that they sold videos. Silly cows. :roll:
dazza
-
-

Postby JamesMc » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:27 pm

dazzababes wrote:
JamesMc wrote:Does anyone have, or, has anyone seen any of the videos about the subway that are on sale in the transport museum? They look good as a complement to the glasgow subway album book, promising real footage with sound of the old system etc. Or, they could be rubbish, with about a minute of footage. Fairly expensive too for a video these days. Any thoughts?

They used to show a documentary about the subway on a loop in the mock-up of the old subway station. It was excellent, and i imagine it is the same one they now have on video.
Strangely, i was asking about it a few weeks ago but the two women at the reception desk just looked at me blankly totally clueless as to what i was talking about. They never even mentioned that they sold videos. Silly cows. :roll:

Hmmmm. it would certainly make sense that it was the same documentary. There are actually a couple of vids just on the right as you enter the wee shop. One promises footage of the last few months of the old system, footage of the modernisation process and a 'day in the life' of the new subway, behind the scenes footage etc. I think i may make a purchase.

The book is fantastic, have tried to use it to locate the original entrances to many of the old stations. One station exterior not pictured is Kelvinbridge, but there is a pic of the exterior in another book i bought recently, from the cut price bookworld shop for 6 quid. The name of it escapes me at the moment, i'll check it when i get home, but its essentially the story of Glasgow with a lot of interesting pics. Anyhoo, my point was that the original entrance to Kelvinbridge seems to have been what is now Mortons t shirt shop across from the new station at the bottom of the staircase. Haven't made it down there since noticing this yet, but i'll certainly check it out. I'll post the book name and author later as well, worth a look at six quid.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:31 pm

JamesMc wrote:One promises footage of the last few months of the old system, footage of the modernisation process and a 'day in the life' of the new subway, behind the scenes footage etc. I think i may make a purchase.

That's definately what they used to show. I think i may have to make a purchase myself. How much are they?
dazza
-
-

Postby JamesMc » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:47 pm

dazzababes wrote:
JamesMc wrote:One promises footage of the last few months of the old system, footage of the modernisation process and a 'day in the life' of the new subway, behind the scenes footage etc. I think i may make a purchase.

That's definately what they used to show. I think i may have to make a purchase myself. How much are they?

As i said there were a couple, i forget which is which but the cheapest was 12 quid and i think the one i described was 15 quid. By the looks of them, they don't make them anymore, packaging is kinda 80's looking. Maybe if there is enough demand they'll release them on DVD. Maybe not though.....
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:21 am

That book with the pic of Kelvinbridge station exterior, and many other fine pics of Glasgow life is called "century of Glasgow" by Bruce Durie. As i say, i got it in Bookworld for 6 pounds.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:00 am

JamesMc wrote:That book with the pic of Kelvinbridge station exterior, and many other fine pics of Glasgow life is called "century of Glasgow" by Bruce Durie. As i say, i got it in Bookworld for 6 pounds.

Have you bought this book recently?

-Fossil-
Fossil
-
-

Postby JamesMc » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:23 am

I bought it just last week, they had loads of copies, it was the shop in Gordon st.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:46 am

JamesMc wrote:Anyhoo, my point was that the original entrance to Kelvinbridge seems to have been what is now Mortons t shirt shop across from the new station at the bottom of the staircase. Haven't made it down there since noticing this yet, but i'll certainly check it out.

Thats quite right - it was one of two entrances to this station as I understand it. The one next to Mortons at the bottom of the steps is now the fire exit from the current station.

Apparently there was also an entrance in the shop unit above this on Great Western Road (where the pine shop is now), that had a lift that took you down to the station. This was removed during modernisation and the shaft roofer over....

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects