Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:11 am

glasgowken wrote:I took this photo the other day, some of the bush has been cut away, I wonder if the owners read HG :)

Fnarr fnarr.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohhhh, the glasgow underground gave me a little treat this evening!

I was travelling from Ibrox to Cowcaddens, so travelling on the outer circle. When I entered the station I read that the Inner Circle was off. It had suffered a points failure at the broomload depot... no biggy since I was going on the outer.
I noticed that the inner circle tunnel lights were on and when I got on the train, it crawled... so I got a real good look at the points area, including the engineers trying to fix them at the switch box. Then I got a good look at the pit... nothing to see, but still cool.
But what really impressed me was that the tunnel lights were on from Govan to Partick too, so I got a brilliant look (not too obvious, busy train) at the Merkland Street station. No platform and no stairs.... just an open cavern with the aluminium posts to hold the red communications cable up... might seem like nothing, but I was happy :)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:10 pm

Pity you didn't get some photos McShad. It would have been great to see them. I was on the train from Shettleston this afternoon and was praying for some light to that I could see in the tunnel between High Street and Queen Street. As soon as the train left High Street I was up at the door in anticipation. Sadly I didn't see anything.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:17 pm

The camera in my phone wouldnt have been much good...

And I don't have the habit of carrying round my digital camera. Even if I did, it was a busy train and I would have gone some real strange looks. I'm also sure my camera wouldnt be much good with the angle of the windows etc, the flash would bounce off the glass and the lens wouldnt be able to focus fast enough. Prime location would have been the cab, but the drivers really frown on things like that ;)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:00 pm

The old subway was a shit to take photos in. Even with my wee slr camera and 400ASA film there was absolutely nothing to reflect off, other than the trains and the stationmasters cabin at the end of the platform. All the station tunnels were painted with matt paint which absorbed all light. The Car Sheds was a lot better. But it was possible if you know what you were doing - like the Herald photographers.
No digital babies in those days. I took a few shots of Buchanan Street a few months ago with a simple FinePix camera and was really amazed at the result. Grrrrr.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:45 pm

glasgowken wrote:Does anyone think that West Street, should be closed (or mothballed) ?
It's so close to Shields Road along a straight Scotland Street, you could stand outside one and wave to somebody at the other. And there's really not much down that way, even in old GCT days the staff called West Street, the "Bone Yard".

I hate seeing any stations close, but with the concerns over cash, this perhaps wouldn't be a huge loss. Although I do feel low suggesting this.

Any opinions ? :?

I was going along Scotland St on the way back from Ben Lomond last week and didn't realise how close the two really were until then! When I did the subcrawl at the beginning of June, the nearest pub to walk to was actually just around the corner from Bridge Street. West Street just seems quite far away from 'civilisation' so to speak. I don't think they should necessarily close it, but if there are plans to regenerate the area it should definitely be kept without any question.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:15 pm

It's about time Kelvinhall station was renamed (yet again), to something like Kelvingrove.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Nah cos people would then think it was actually at Kelvingrove. Maybe Dumbarton Road?
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Although just realised that was a bit of a silly comment about Kelvingrove, as Kelvinhall is opposite it and the station still not at it...hmm.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:40 pm

My reason is that Kelvinhall isn't what it was, but with the refurb at Kelvingrove it would be more useful to name it to that.

Partick Cross, always made more sense of course :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 am

glasgowken wrote:My reason is that Kelvinhall isn't what it was, but with the refurb at Kelvingrove it would be more useful to name it to that.

But when they renamed Merkland Street as Partick they felt it would cause confusion.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:31 pm

I know, I don't want them to name it back, I vote to rename it Kelvingrove :-)

(I know there isn't actually a vote)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:38 pm

I say rename it Partick Cross, that's where it is :x
The new station at Merkland Street can be Glasgow Harbour to make the wee trendies feel included. ::):
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:51 pm

Actually not a bad idea RT
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:07 pm

glasgowken wrote:My reason is that Kelvinhall isn't what it was, but with the refurb at Kelvingrove it would be more useful to name it to that.

Maybe you should tell SPT that now, before they put their new frontage up... they're taking the old one down at this very minute but as I'm not going out in the pissing rain in my jammies, this is the best photo I can give you!

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects