Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:08 pm

Nice pics Foss - although is the first one not Charing Cross?

There's a similar shot of the George Sq display model in the book, although it's pretty dark, so I didn't even attempt to scan it.

And if only the abandoned stations were off the mainline, I'd happily explore them by hook or by crook! Guess it's an impossibility in a line that's just a 6 mile loop!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:11 pm

gap74 wrote:Nice pics Foss - although is the first one not Charing Cross?

Yes it is - that's Charing Cross Mansions in the background. Those pictures
are taken from (I believe) the 'Circles under the Clyde' book.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:13 pm

Thought so!

And on second glance, I'm amused to see that there's a bloke sticking out of the carriage cab window at the back in that pic!

What exactly was he hoping to do from there, apply the brakes on the train if they had to stop suddenly??

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:31 pm

Its the bridge street station that I am interested in Was the new station built on the same location?

Or was it further down, near the bridge?

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:16 pm

Now there's a question Fossil, because I can't quite reconcile that pic in the book with the claim that the final train ran from Bridge St the wrong way round the outer circle...

Also, take a look at this portion of map. It's from a Scotland tourist guide I picked up in Hay-on-Wye recently, seems to date from around the early 50s. According to that, Bridge St station isn't on Bridge St at all! Although they may be simply indicating that the platforms aren't on Bridge St, which is kind of odd for an overground tourist map...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:23 pm

Its about one of the buildings near the bridge.
I'm near thatarea tomorruw or Thursday and will take a picture. You'll see what I mean about this location and building on the site. If Crusty's on tonight he has more infor. Just following up a bit of information :wink:

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:45 pm

My ex lived in 20 Bridge St a few years back, the building that had the ironmonger's in the ground floor. She was on the top floor, and as she was moving out, I took a fair wad of video footage from the parapet. Let me know if this footage might be of any use to you and I'll dig it out - there was quite an interesting building diagonally opposite which appeared abandoned but with lots of wee rooftop doors.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:04 am

Fantastic pics... cheers for taking the time to present these! :D

Fossy... I did a spot of research on that building. I found that Bridge st Station (not underground) was in the first block between Clyde Place and Kingston St so that rules that out!

Has anyone ese noticed how the large arcaded blonde sandstone sandstone building on bridge St between Kingston St and Nelson St resembles a train station with space foe vehicular access from the now glazed arcades on ground level and office/accomodation space above?

A friend of mine was at a party in a house there and says the guys house it was lifted a hatch in the close to reveal "train stuff...like an abandoned station". Facts are inevetably sparse and hazy, anyone know anything about it?

crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:38 am

From The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, p.519-520:

Bridge St and the railway viaduct that runs down its W side divide Tradeston from Laurieston. First of interest on the W side, nearest the bridge, is the former Commercial Bank of Scotland, 1884. [This is the building my ex lived in, and is the first structure on that side of Bridge St as you approach from the city centre]. It has bold shell tympana and other coarse Early Renaissance detail in cream ashlar. Nos. 36-54 was the fore-building of of Bridge Street Station, built in 1889-90 (architect James Miller, engineer George Graham) and closed in 1906 when Central Station had been extended. Eighteen bays of grey stone in late C17 domestic style, with touches of Francois Premier-style decoration. The arched entrance to the booking hall, always sandwiched between ground-floor shops, is concealed by a shop facia. At each end are the former entrances to the high-level platform.

Hope this helps! Invaluable little book, if bloody expensive!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:08 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Scaned these awhile ago:

St Georges Cross.
[img ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/modernfossil/clockwork-orange.jpg[/img]

This was in George Square.
On the right is the Tourist Information office/hut/port-a-cabin that was in that location for years........

-Fossil-
A nice shot of 70's Glaswegains peering into the future of underground transport.
Christ! I vaguely remember my Mum and Dad taking me along to look at this!!!!
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:55 am

crusty_bint wrote:Has anyone ese noticed how the large arcaded blonde sandstone sandstone building on bridge St between Kingston St and Nelson St resembles a train station with space foe vehicular access from the now glazed arcades on ground level and office/accomodation space above?

A friend of mine was at a party in a house there and says the guys house it was lifted a hatch in the close to reveal "train stuff...like an abandoned station". Facts are inevetably sparse and hazy, anyone know anything about it?

crusty

i was told about that as well by a friend who'd been at a party in the same block. some ones flat in there actually looks out over the track bed going into central station. i'll see if i can find out who it was that saw the basement bit though.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:30 am

my fav is the one with the krazy house ad. brilliant.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:50 am

caine wrote:
crusty_bint wrote:Has anyone ese noticed how the large arcaded blonde sandstone sandstone building on bridge St between Kingston St and Nelson St resembles a train station with space foe vehicular access from the now glazed arcades on ground level and office/accomodation space above?

crusty

i was told about that as well by a friend who'd been at a party in the same block. some ones flat in there actually looks out over the track bed going into central station. i'll see if i can find out who it was that saw the basement bit though.

Is the building on the site shown in this old map?
http://www.nls.uk:8080/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=Maps&item=/74416892.sid&style=maps.xsl&wid=700&hei=500&oif=jpeg&plugin=false#

That building looks very station like from the track-side but I'm sure I read before that the original station building was demolished. Did they build a replacement?

http://www.cat-flap.demon.co.uk/bridgest.jpg

The chronology here suggests ...

14.07.1840 Temporary Bridge Street Station opened
06.04.1841 Bridge Street station permanent buildings opened
12.07.1879 Reconstructed Bridge Street station opened
1890 Bridge Street station extended
01.02.1892 G&SW vacated Bridge Street station, which was taken over wholly by the Caledonian
01.03.1905 Bridge Street station closed
1971 Bridge Street station building of 1841 demolished
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:25 pm

It is indeed on that map, on the block south of where it says "bridge st Station", the original being in the block north of it. The chronology makes sense too, i had thought the building dated from the late 19th century so it looks as though this might actually be the extension of 1890.

Interesting to see a subway leading from Bridge St through the centre of the building connecting three of the platforms... might this still exist?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby caine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:07 pm

i cant open the link for the map for some reason, but the photo is the same building that the party was in that supposedly housed the train stuff in the basement.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects